Eco-friendly travel guide to Sousse advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Sousse, Tunisia.
- Air quality: 3 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 4 / 5
- Parks: 4.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 5/ 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 4/ 5
- Accommodation: US$10 - $130
- Budget per day: US$50 - $200
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Sousse is a city in Tunisia, located in North Africa. One can say that simplicity is the goal of many locals as they do not like to stress over things. Instead, they prefer to go with the flow of life.
It is an Islamic town, and foreigners need to be respectful of the customs and traditions. Also, you need to patronize local businesses as such acts show that you are traveling responsibly.
It could be that you are buying the local craft, eating at a local restaurant, or staying at a place owned by any of the locals. Whatever you do, ensure that it reflects positively.
Air Quality and Pollution
It is ideal to know about the air quality at your destination city to understand the risks you may face and know how to be well prepared.
You should know that Sousse is not highly ranked when it concerns air quality, but it is also not the worst in the world. One can say that the air quality is moderate and has some good high days.
From this observation, you know that air pollution happens in the city, and adequate action needs to occur for it to be curbed. It is not wrong for you to be conscious while there to always be in good health.
Respect the Culture
While in Sousse, you will realize that the locals are easy going and do not demand much from foreigners. However, this does not mean that they tolerate disrespect. It will be best if you are always respectful to these people. After all, it is their territory, and they know more than you do.
As a foreigner, you should wear a smile always as it shows that you are approachable. It is the only way these locals will be willing to interact with you. You will also be in their good books if you do not downgrade their customs and religion. The goal is for mutual respect to happen while there.
Top 10 Places to Visit
We often hear foreigners asking for things to do while in a new place, so here are the top places to visit if you are in Sousse:
• Sousse Ribat: It was once a fort in the city, and the structure dates back to the 8th century. The building leaves many intrigued, and it gives you a perfect view of the city. It is currently a market in Sousse, and it is always busy, with sellers that have an array of goods.
• Grande Mosquée de Sousse: Since Souse is an Islamic city, it is not out of place to see different outstanding mosques in the town. It has been around for a long time and is one of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Medina of Sousse. You will get an excellent view from this place, and further inspection of the building will leave you in awe as it is well fortified.
• Port El Kantaoui: Many people refer to this place as a tourist complex because it houses facilities and structures that attend to the needs of foreigners. You will see many shops and hotels where you can either buy top-notch items or lodge. It also gives a fantastic view, and it is hard for a tourist not to visit this place when in the city.
• Catacombs of Sousse: It is a catacomb that has been in place for years and is filled with many decorated tombs. If you will not mind explore this place, you should visit it when in Sousse.
• Centre de Loisirs Hannibal: One cannot go wrong by visiting an amusement park, so there is no reason not to visit this place when in Sousse. It is suitable for both adults and children as everyone gets to have a fantastic time, and is one of the most frequently visited by foreigners. It will be best if you waste no time adding this place to your list and visiting it when in the city because it makes many people happy.
• Casino Veneziano: Some people say that you will have unending fun at a casino, but we would not want to generalize. Everyone should have an experience before validating the claim. Ensure to add this place to the list of places you should visit before leaving Sousse.
• Eglise Saint Felix: If you think that there are no churches in Sousse because it is an Islamic city, you are wrong. The church building is a sight for sore eyes, so you should visit it when in the city.
• Monastir Karting: One of the aims of any foreigner is to have maximum fun when in a new city, and you can accomplish it when you go go-carting. The joy and happiness you will get are priceless, and you also get to connect with other people.
• Golf Palm Links Monastir: It is an excellent place for both experienced and non-experienced golfers. We are sure that you will have expectations before visiting it, and we are confident that it will meet and even surpass those expectations.
• Acqua Palace: You can have fun and keep busy in this city by visiting a water park. It allows you to let out your inner child, and you will be glad that you did. There are many activities to do at a water park, and you will leave there with a fulfilled feeling.
It is always fulfilling when a foreigner gets to explore different parts of a city as it allows the tourist to gain more understanding of the place and have fun while at it. When there are places to explore, it shows that the city is worth visiting, so foreigners cannot do without exploring.
If you think that exploring is not essential, allow us to tell you that you will be bored while here, and it may make you lose your mind. There is no need to stay cooped up indoors when in a new place as it will limit you.
You can never tell who you will meet or the potentials and opportunities available to you in a new place if you do not explore.
There are some city parks in Sousse, and they serve as perfect locations for exploring. They are:
• Aquasplash: It is a famous place in Sousse, especially as it is a water park. Many people go there to have fun, so prepare your mind to meet different people when you visit it. Although not everyone likes crowds, this place allows you to network, so you should not strike it off your list. There are different unique slides at this water park, and we know that you will have fun trying each of them. You should also know that the place is suitable for both children and adults.
The same way a place has city parks is the same way it will have national parks. The difference is that the national park is owned and managed by the country’s government, so it is a treasure that serves all cities in that country.
The national park in Sousse is:
• Medina Park: It is a small park that serves as the perfect place for meditation in the city. Asides from relaxation, you can also learn more about the country’s history from this park. Its beauty is always calming to the mind, and tourists love visiting as something is appealing about it. It will help if you visit this place when in Sousse.
There is much joy in the heart of some foreigners when they know that their destination city has a beach. People find this place intriguing to explore, so some of the beaches in Sousse are:
• Bou Jaafar Beach: Many things stand out about this beach, starting from its clean water and sand. The maintenance is top-notch, assuring you of a peaceful time while there. It is a lovely place to relax and connect with others.
• Las Vegas Beach: It is a beautiful place, and people love watching the sunset there. It is possible to lose track of time at this place as it calms the mind and makes you forget all worries. It will be best if you visit this beach when in Sousse.
Different things make a place outstanding and considered as a landmark. It could be that it is a tall building or has historical features. Whatever the case might be, the site should be easily remembered and intriguing to classify as a landmark.
Some of the landmarks in Sousse are:
• Bled el Arbi Sousse: Its architectural feature makes it outstanding, so almost no one in Sousse does not know this place. You can use it as a landmark.
• Sousse Ribat: Since it was once a fort, you know that it is a tall building that commands attention. Thus, it is one of the landmarks in Sousse.
If you want to get more knowledge and information about a city, you should visit its museums. You should know that there are many intriguing historical facts about Sousse, so some museums preserve this history. They are:
• Sousse Archaeological Museum: It has an array of collections that will leave you in awe, with tour guides that are friendly and ready to answer any of your questions. It is a place that people do not mind visiting continuously, as it has that captivating factor.
• Museum Dar Essid: Some people say that this place is an art museum, while others say it is an eye-opener. It gives you an insight into daily 18th-century life, and you will be intrigued. Ensure to visit it when in Sousse.
We always urge foreigners to be bold and try the local meals when in a new place. Understandably, there might be hesitations. However, we are sure that all the doubts will clear away, especially if you taste the traditional meals in Sousse.
Brik is one of the local meals in this city, a pastry wrapped with egg filling and fired. It can be served with vegetables and any protein you desire.
One of the regular meals in this city is Couscous, and it will be wrong not to try it when in Sousse. It is delicious and will have you wanting more after you eat it.
Traditional Local Restaurants
Every city will have unique restaurants that can prepare the local meals, and Sousse is not an exception. It is right for foreigners to patronize these restaurants, as it is a way of being a responsible tourist. Some of the traditional local restaurants in Sousse are:
• Dar El Jeld: Everything about this restaurant screams class, and it presents itself as one of the best in the city. The presentation of the food alone leaves people drooling, and the taste is always exceptional.
• Chez Zina: They pride themselves in providing exceptional services and top-notch local meals that will have people craving more. The ambiance is also suitable as it is always clean.
Vegetarian and Vegan
It is common knowledge that vegetarians have meal preparation preferences that differ from the typical taste preference, so it is right to have restaurants that meet their needs in any city.
Some of the vegan restaurants in Sousse are:
• Le Carnot Cafe-Brasserie: It is a big restaurant with well-prepared meals suitable for the taste preference of vegetarians. This does not mean that non-vegetarians cannot eat the meals as well. They have an array of options on their menu so that you can make choices from varieties. It is a perfect eating spot in the city.
• Fresh K Salad Shop: If you love to eat salad, you should visit this place as they also have vegan options. Interestingly, they do not take time in the preparation process.
Asides from typical meals, there are also street foods, and each city has some unique ones. It will be best if you try out of them when in Sousse as they are appetizing and will always have you feeling refreshed.
A majority of the street foods in Sousse are pastries, and we know that many foreigners have a sweet tooth and love to eat snacks. Some people may wonder about the difference between these pastries and those found in other places, but you should know that it will taste different as the preparation process is not the same.
It will be best if you try these pastries before leaving the city, else it will be seen that you had an incomplete stay.
It is also essential to know the locally available drinks in any city to know what to expect. We cannot say that alcohol is banned in Sousse, but it is not easy to get since it is an Islamic city. Even if you find them, they are usually expensive. Thus, people do not put their minds on alcoholic drinks when in this city.
You will realize that the locals of Sousse are lovers of tea, so we can say that it is the city’s typical drink. People get creative during their tea preparation, and mint tea is a favorite of many people.
One of the most common questions we get from foreigners going to Sousse is inquiries on if the water is safe for drinking. Yes, the tap water at Sousse is portable, so you should not have any worries.
However, we see that some tourists love to be on the safe side, and they have a preference for bottled water when in a new place. It is also not a bad option, and you can purchase it if you desire.
Whatever preference you might have as it concerns water works fine in Sousse, so it is safe to say that you are covered, and there will be no stress or adverse effects.
Here are some of the organic cafes in Sousse:
• Hard Rock Café: You will be in awe when you visit this place as it has a vibrant environment that encourages interaction. They have an array of food items and drinks on their menu that are usually tasty and healthy. It is a fabulous place in the city with a high inflow of customers due to its effectiveness. It will be best if you visit this café when in Sousse.
• Le Petit Cafe Maure: It is a small café with a traditional setting. If you are looking to enjoy the best tea in the city, this is where to visit. You will not regret visiting this café.
We see lovers of alcoholic drinks curious to know the different breweries in their destination city as they believe that is where they can get the best beers. These people prefer going to the breweries as it is the direct source than purchasing the beverages at a retail store.
It may be that we are bursting your bubbles, but there are no breweries in Sousse. If you can remember, it is challenging to get alcoholic drinks in this city. However, this is not to say that there are no breweries in Tunisia. When In Sousse, you can go to other cities with a brewery if you desire.
Fishing and kayaking are some of the activities available for a foreigner to do when in a new city, especially Sousse. It is a way of utilizing the water bodies and having fun while at it.
It is right for you to always do any of these activities in the presence of the locals as they will show you the ropes and instructions on how to use these water bodies. After all, you do not expect that how things operate in your home city is the same way it will run in your holiday city.
If you do not know how to fish or kayak, they are also always ready to help you.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga is one fitness activity that has become popular across cities globally, and people also use it as a way to bond. One can see this in how yogis interact across different social media platforms.
It is more exciting when they meet as they want to try different routines, and the feeling is always refreshing. If you are a yogi visiting Sousse, you are in luck as many of the locals know about yoga, and there are studios that assist people in doing this activity in the city.
All you need to do is find your way to any of the yoga studios, and you can connect with fellow yogis.
Although one may have plans on different things he or she wishes to do when in a new city, these plans will not be feasible if you do not have a place to stay. Thus, making accommodation plans should be top of the list when preparing to visit a new city.
When you have the necessary and appropriate accommodation plans, you get to have lesser worries and an enjoyable stay. We always tell foreigners to have a sustainable budget for accommodation as it will assist with the plans. With this budget, you will decide the type of accommodation to stay in while in the city.
Some of the hotels in Sousse under this category are:
• Sousse Palace Hotel & Spa: Since it is within one of the lively areas of the city, it is not surprising that it usually gets many customers as it gives them access to other essential areas. It focuses on its customers’ comfort and wellness, having facilities to ensure that this is possible. The staff are also always professional, making it a top hotel in the city.
• Hotel Paris: It is a green hotel helpful to those on a tight budget since many of its rooms are affordable. Customers usually enjoy a neat and friendly environment with access to free Wi-Fi.
Hostels and Guest Houses
You can also decide to stay in a hostel or guesthouse while in a new city. Some people say that it is a cheaper option, but we cannot tell if it is applicable in all cities worldwide.
Sousse does not have available hostel options for people to lodge, but you will see guesthouses, so you can go for that option.
One of the most comfortable guesthouses in the city is:
• Hotel Paris: The rooms here are well ventilated with ACs, so you will be comfortable. Customers also get to enjoy free Wi-Fi and breakfast. It is at a perfect location in the city and easily accessible from the airport, with fair prices for its rooms.
Here are some of the options under this category of accommodation in Sousse:
• Yasmine Residence: It is a beautiful apartment that mimics a typical home setting to ensure that you feel comfortable and relaxed. It has vibrant colors to make the mind happy and is always clean. Although we cannot say that it is at a strategic position in the city, it is secure and has professional and helpful staff.
• Sunset Beach Apartment: As the name implies, this apartment is on a beach, so you know that you will have a soothing view and refreshing time. It is always of a high standard and ensures to help its customers always. It is a top place for foreigners to stay in the city.
It is typical to see a foreigner trying to socialize with a local, and one of the best ways to do this is by Couchsurfing. Instead of spending money on accommodation, you can stay with a local and increase your bond with them.
Locals who are interested in this usually signify interest on the Couchsurfing website, and foreigners are paired. However, you should not consider this option if you will be condensing to their customs and traditions.
If you respect them, they will reciprocate the act, and you will have a swell time during your stay, especially as they will help you when you have any difficulty.
You can also thoroughly explore a place is by going camping as it brings you closer to nature in the city. You will notice that many towns have famous campsites, but that does not mean that it is compulsory to use them as some people prefer to camp in other places.
Those who are not staying for long in the city use camping as a means of accommodation as they travel mobile and explore different areas of the city.
If you are staying for long, you can also go camping as the goal is to have fun while exploring. It will be best to go camping with locals in the area for safety and guidance.
How to Get There
Another thing that foreigners need to figure out before traveling is how to reach the city of choice. It may seem like an easy deal at first, but you will later realize that many things need to be considered, so you need to be deliberate when researching how to reach the city.
You will see that different means of transport can take you to your chosen city, but it can also be that these means are not available from your location. It is why research is essential so that you can know your next action step. It could also be that some of the available transport means are above your budget, so you need to choose the one that fits.
You should know that there are two airports in the city, which emphasizes that there is a lot to see in it, justifying the steady inflow of foreigners.
It is easy to use a flight in reaching Sousse if you can get a direct one from your current location. If there is no direct travel, travel to the nearest city to get a direct flight to Sousse.
Monastir and Enfida are the airports serving Sousse, which Enfida being the newest. However, it is easier to access the city from Monstair airport as the transport process from Enafida is confusing for a first-timer in the city.
We do not know if it is possible to get a bus from other countries or continents to Sousse as that thought seems far-fetched. However, if your current location is within Tunisia, you are sure to get a bus to Sousse.
The road network in this city is in perfect condition and connects to other Tunisian towns without any hassle. Most times, foreigners who are in the capital city use buses to reach Sousse.
People prefer to use a bus sometimes because it allows them to see all that the city scene has to offer, and they can take note of the notable landmarks. If you are in such a category, travel to the capital city of Tunisia first, and use a bus to Sousse.
If you are a part of those who will love to use a train to travel to their destination, the first thing you should do is check if that city has a railway. If you are traveling to Sousse, you are in luck as there is a railway.
The same way it seems far-fetched to think that you can use a bus in reaching Sousse from other continents also applies to using a train, so you should apply in the capital city of any other Tunisian city first.
After that, it will be easy getting on a train to Sousse, especially as it is in a strategic location when considering the railway road connection.
It is possible to hitchhike to Sousse if you are already within Tunisia, and this can be through bus or boat. The idea is to get a free ride, and it depends on your convincing power.
If you go to any of the harbors, you can try talking to them to get a free ride with a boat. Since you are a foreigner, there are high chances of it being possible.
You can also stand on the road and try getting free rides from drivers. Not everyone would stop for you, but we sure that you will see one.
It is wise also to be security conscious while in the city as that cannot be overemphasized.
Another way of getting into Sousse is through the water bodies with a boat. You can do this if you are already within Tunisia as you can either get a private boat or board with everyone. You need to find out the timetable not to miss it if it is this method you desire to use.
Everyone needs to move around when in a new place at one point, so you need to find out the different available means.
It is wrong to assume that you can use an electronic vehicle because it is feasible in your home city as it may not be in your destination city, and you will be disappointed. Knowledge is vital, so it is best if you always research.
Some people will prefer to walk around when in a new place, especially if it is not far. This system of movement comes in handy in a small city.
It is feasible if you want to walk around in Sousse as it is safe, but you also need to be on alert as you can never be too sure.
Have a smile as you walk around, and you will be okay.
People say that you can avoid a city’s traffic if you have a bicycle, and we agree with this claim. Using a bicycle is an efficient means of moving around in Sousse as you can reach your destination faster, and cycling brings a certain kind of calm.
There are many bicycle rentals in the city so you should rent one if you desire.
We cannot say that you will find a place to rent a scooter in Sousse as it is not common in the city. If you find one, you will also need to study and understand how the people drive around, or you will get confused.
However, we would advise foreigners to forget about scooters and stick to other means of movement.
Taxis are the equivalent of public buses in Sousse, and they are usually yellow, making identification easy. It is the most common form of transportation, and you should ask the locals how to use it.
The process is not challenging as you can flag it down if it is going to your location. However, asking the locals will give you better clarification.
Tram, Train and Subway
It is not common to see trains moving within the city, but you can get mini-train rides. Since it is not a typical way of moving around, it is best to stick with other available means of transportation to not be disappointed.
Sousse is an exciting city, and you should explore it in any way you can.
We earlier stated that one way through which you can connect with locals in Sousse is by patronizing their business, which emphasizes sustainable shopping. These locals are involved in many things, and we know that you will find them exciting.
Ensure that you buy from them as you will not regret it, and you will be helping them make improvements.
Some of them are:
• Sunday Market in Sousse: It is a weekly market, so you know that the crowd will always be much on Sundays. However, if you can ignore the crowd, you will get many things at the best prices. It is a perfect place for those who wish to buy unique Sousse ingredients as you will see an array of them.
Some of them are:
• Sousse Ribat: It can be chaotic at this place as you will see different sellers trying to get your attention. The best thing is to stay focused and look for what you desire. The best part is that you can bargain the prices as there is no fixed price for any of the items. It is a top market in the city.
Second Hand Stores
You will see some second-hand stores in the city, and they deal with different items. The idea is to give you something that is still of high quality, although it might not be new. You will also get it for a low price, so it comes in handy.
It will be best if you visit the different second-hand stores in Sousse as we are sure that you will see something you desire.
The goal is always to improve and be better, and you will see this happening in the fashion industry as well.
Eco-fashion is the new trend for many designers, including those in Tunisia. They now recycle items and turn them into fashionable wear. Some people may doubt if it is possible, but visiting Sousse would have you believe it.
If we can see recycling in the fashion industry, it can also apply to other sectors. We can say that an efficient recycling system is being built in Sousse, and it will play out over time. However, many recycling companies help to ensure items are being recycled, for now, supporting eco-tourism.
Tunisia’s government has an agency in charge of waste collection and management, so you can be sure that pollution is minimized in Sousse. We do not currently know if there are rules against defaulters of waste management. Still, we urge all foreigners to avoid littering when in the city as it does not support being a responsible traveler.
Work and Study Abroad
We can assure that a student can get opportunities to work while studying in Tunisia, but it is not an assurance for automatic employment after schooling. This is to help the student get funds and survive while in school and not a permanent arrangement.
However, it is helpful as not all cities allow students to work while schooling.
You can see an exchange student in Sousse, but it is dependent on the arrangement with their present school and the university or college in the city. If there are adequate arrangements, a student can enjoy their time in the city for some time while studying as well.
Students love this concept and usually jump on the opportunity.
If you need a job while in Sousse, you can use the au pair website to get babysitting jobs.
If your main goal for visiting Sousse is to volunteer, ensure that you make an impact.