Eco-friendly travel guide to Tangier advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Tangier, Morocco.
- Air quality: 4 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 4 / 5
- Parks: 4.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$10 - $55
- Budget per day: US$20 - $90
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Although Tangier is not the capital city of Morocco, it gets attention from foreigners due to its rich culture, so you would always see a steady tourist inflow. It is in the northwestern region of the country and a worthy place to visit. Some people might say that it is an ancient town, but these features make it exceptional.
As a foreigner in this city, you should familiarize yourself with the different rules and regulations as that is the only way to travel responsibly. It would also excite you to try out the numerous traditional dishes available in Tangier as it will add spice to your trip.
Air Quality and Pollution
It may not be easy to see a city with high air quality, but Tangier beats the odds when it concerns such. The town people are high on curbing air pollution, so they ensure to engage in acceptable practices always.
As a foreigner, air pollution diseases should be the least of your worries in Tangier as the air quality is high. Some foreigners desire to know this ahead as it determines some of the items they might carry. However, there is no need for extra stress, and Tangier has a low air pollution rate and high air quality, making it a perfect place to visit.
Respect the Culture
It is right for everyone to know that Tangier is a conservative city, so you would need to conform to the rules and regulations if you want to have a swell time there. It is a Muslim city but does not force everyone to worship while there.
However, you should not engage in acts that are considered indecent, like engaging in a public display of affection, as it may get you in trouble with the local authorities, and many of the locals find such acts disrespectful.
It will also help to know that the locals do not like much attention, so you should not snap them when taking pictures of interesting sites.
Top 10 Places to Visit
If you are wondering why people visit Tangier, you should know that some of these places constitute the reason:
• Hercules Caves: If you are a fan or lover of Greek mythology, we know that you will find this cave and its story exciting. The cave has two openings, one to sea and one to land, and serves as an archaeological complex in the city. It is one of the top places that tourists usually visit.
• Cape Spartel: It is a lighthouse in the city, and the cliff also gives you an exceptional view. It always gets the interest of foreigners, so it is not surprising that this lighthouse is one of the top places to visit.
• Dar el Makhzen: It was once a place for royalty in Tangier, as some people also call it the Sultanate Palace. Whenever the sultans of Morocco visit this city, it is where they stay. Now, it serves as a historic building and home to two museums.
• Place Petit Socco: Visiting this place takes you away from the norm as it is rare to find it in other cities or countries. It is a top place in Tangier, and some people say that your visit is incomplete if you have never been there. Ensure that you add it to your list of places to visit before leaving Tangier.
• Grand Socco: There is no item you desire that you cannot get at this place. It is popular in the city and a place of interaction for both locals and foreigners. It also serves as a market where you can purchase traditional items that make the perfect souvenirs.
• District Urbain de Tanger-Medina: It is the government house in the city. We know that lovers of politics will find it interesting as you get to learn more about the political system and how things operate in Tangier.
• St. Andrew's Church: Although Islam is the predominant religion in Tangier, that does not mean that other religions do not exist. This is an Anglican church in the city, with outstanding archaeological features. There is a tour guide available if you want to take a tour of the building.
• Masjid Mohammed Al-Khamis: There are many mosques in Tangier since Islam is the predominant religion, but this place is the biggest and most famous. It is a top choice for foreign Muslims and also has outstanding features.
• Gran Teatro Cervantes: Entertainment is also something to enjoy while in Tangier, and this theater is the place where a majority of the shows old. It has been in existence for a while and gets the attention of people always. It is specially dedicated to Miguel de Cervantes. The architecture of the building is also something that will leave you in awe.
• Moshe Nahon (Old) Synagogue: If you would love a synagogue tour, you can do it at this place while in Tangier. We know that you would not regret visiting it.
There is always the urge to explore and discover new things when a foreigner visits a new place, so it does not come off as shocking or surprising when a tourist is curious to know the different places they can explore.
While in a new city, foreigners always ensure that they cover as many exciting places as possible irrespective of their schedule. They always want to know more and have stories to tell when they leave the city.
After all, people say that opportunity comes but once, and they do not know if they would get the chance to visit Tangier gain. Thus, they would not want to misuse the current opportunity.
Visiting a city park is usually not a bad idea when in a new place, and here are some of the city parks in Tangier:
• Park Rmilat: It is right to say that this is an encompassing park as there are many activities to do there. It could be that you want to have a picnic, or relax and get a fantastic view of the sea. You can also hike at this park as it has hiking trails. It is one of the most outstanding parks in the city.
• La Terrasse Des Paresseux: People usually frequent this park, and it could be because it is at a strategic point in the city. It is perfect for relaxation, as the view is always heartwarming.
Although we cannot say that there are national parks in Tangier to explore, you can see some of these parks in other surrounding cities. Thus, you can take a ride down there and have fun.
Some of these national parks are:
• Al Hoceima National Park: It has a beautiful landscape and is an encompassing park filled with mountains and beaches. It ensures to have places and activities for different preferences as no two persons are the same. You will always have a fantastic time at this park.
• Talassemtane National Park: This Park helps you get closer to nature and has hiking trails for those who love to hike.
If hanging out at a beach is one of your favorite things to do in a city, here are some of the beaches to visit in Tangier:
• Achakkar Beach: The aura at this place is heartwarming, and you will have a fantastic time. You can take a camel ride while there, and you will meet many amazing people and establish useful networks. Talking a walk on this beach is peaceful, and we know that you will enjoy your time there.
• Plage Bakassem: It is a clean beach in the city, and some people get a calm feeling from watching the waves. Exploring this beach should be on your list of things to do in Tangier.
Some of the landmarks in Tangier that help in navigating the city are:
• Grand Socco: It is a famous marketplace with a high structure that one can see from a distance. Due to its popularity, it is almost impossible for a local or person who has stayed in this city for a long time will not know the place. Thus, you will get directions to navigate your way.
• York Castle: It is common knowledge that a castle is sure to get attention, so it is not surprising that this is one of Tangier’s landmarks. Its captivating feature always comes in handy, making it easily noticeable.
People say that the best way to explore any city is by visiting its different museums, and we agree with this claim. After all, it helps you get hidden knowledge and facts about the place.
Some of the museums in Tangier are:
• Kasbah Museum: You will see archaeological artifacts at this place, focusing on telling the history of Tangier and Morocco by extension. It is a beautiful museum, and it is easy for you to lose track of time while there. High commendations are always given to this place.
• Galerie Dar D'Art: We do not know your expectations from an art gallery, but this place showcases the works of local artists, and it will beat your imagination.
Exploration comes in different forms, and one could be by eating the different available local meals in a city. Tangier has different varieties, and we know that you will love them.
Couscous, a meal that comprises vegetables and proteins, is the most typical traditional food in the city. You will notice that it is the most ordered food in any restaurant. You should not be left out of the moving train, and ensure to eat it before leaving the city.
You should also try Pastilla, a meal of pigeon meat, rice, and egg while in Tangier. Some people are usually skeptical about this meal, but all doubts fly away when it hits your taste buds.
Traditional Local Restaurants
People say that the best place to get a local meal is from a traditional restaurant. If you agree with this claim, some of the traditional local restaurants in Tangier are:
• Restaurant Ahlen Medina: You will see an array of Moroccan food on the menu, sometimes leaving you confused about what to select. The hospitality you will receive is also next to none, and we can say that the meals are of premium quality. You should have it on your list of restaurants to dine at while in the city.
• Rif Kebdani: People who eat at this place only have positive reviews, so it will be wrong for us not to add it to your options list. You will always enjoy the meals.
Vegetarian and Vegan
It is not news that vegans who travel to a new place find it hard to get restaurants that focus on their food preference, which always dampens their mood. However, those visiting Tangier have a different story as some of the restaurants have vegetarian options.
• Sarayah Food Restaurant: Although it is not a strictly vegetarian restaurant, they have an array of vegan options, making it comfortable for a vegetarian to dine here at any time. It has a steady inflow of persons, meaning that the environment is conducive, and you can mingle with others.
• سندويش بينو: It is one of the few strictly vegan restaurants in the city, and they do not miss in their food options. The tasty meals would always please your taste buds.
Street foods are the favorite options of some persons as they are easy to prepare, and you can see people selling them in stalls along the roadside. It eliminates the idea of you waiting in long queues at the restaurant or waiting for hours before the meal is prepared.
You can also eat them as you walk on the road, which comes in handy in many situations. Different cities have various street foods, and you cannot expect what is available in your home city to be the same in Tangier.
Brouchettes is the most typical street food in Tangier. It is kebabs with a mixture of various steaks, mixed with different ingredients.
The same way there are particular foods to a city is the same way you have drinks unique to that city. It is not that you cannot find some of those drinks in other places, but it could be that they are more common in that city.
The most everyday drink that can be described as a local or traditional drink in Tangier is whiskey. If you have been wondering if alcoholic beverages are acceptable in the city, the answer is yes. The predominant religion does not limit the drinks you can get.
Tangier whiskey has a distinct taste from any other whiskey you might get.
Foreigners usually ask questions concerning tap water, wishing to know if it is portable or possible alternatives if the water is not portable. The issue of drinkable water raises concerns, but this does not happen in Tangier.
You should know that the water in Morocco is well treated, so people can drink the tap water. If you see anyone boiling their tap water or buying bottled water, it is their choice and preference. However, drinking tap water does not have any adverse health effects, so you should not worry.
It eases you the extra cost of looking for water alternatives and comes as a relief to many foreigners.
Some of the organic cafes in Tangier are:
• Café à l'Anglaise: The main focus of this café is Moroccan foods, but you have the assurance that they are always healthy. Although it is not a big café, it has a conducive environment that makes people happy to eat there. Those who eat at this café always have only positive reviews, so we recommend visiting it when in Tangier.
• Al Achab: The owners of this place ensure that all the meals are prepared are of a high standard as the health of their customers is their top priority. It is one of the best organic restaurants in the city.
Beer tasting is one reason why many foreigners are always on the lookout for breweries when they visit a new city as these beverages are produced in a brewery.
You may be thinking that you can purchase them from a store, but it would also be best to get it directly from the brewery source. There are many advantages to visiting a brewery, including connecting with the locals.
It may be the owners and staff of the brewery or other random locals. What matters is that you are spreading your tentacles, and it will come in handy during your stay in the city.
Suppose you are in a city with water bodies. In that case, you should not bug your head about activities that can keep you busy as these water bodies serve as enablers to different activities, including fishing and kayaking.
The idea is to do something that makes you happy, and we know that some people get pleasure from engaging in anything that deals with water.
It could be that you want to have a cruise or you generally love fishing. Whatever the case might be, ensure that you have fun while doing it. This way, you will have pleasurable memories to take away when leaving the city.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga has become a widespread activity, so it is not surprising that many foreigners are yogis, and they wish to practice this activity while in their destination city.
We cannot say that yoga is a famous activity in Tangier or Morocco, but you can find few persons who understand how it works and bond with them. These few persons appreciate its essence, and they frequent the different yoga studios.
They will tell you the best places and times for you to practice yoga in the city, so you should be open to new friendships. Engaging in yoga will keep you occupied while in Tangier, so do not downplay the idea.
It is sometimes shocking when we hear people say that they are stranded when in a new city, and we begin to wonder if they did not make accommodation plans before leaving their home city. Some people are like this, and it is not the best plan as you would not have a smooth sail, except there are adequate preparations.
It is always wise to have a budget for accommodation and search for the available options in your destination city. You also get to know the favorable times of getting a place to stay in the city and much more. Ensure always to make proper plans.
If you wish to lodge in a green hotel, here are some of your options in Tangier:
• Fredj Hotel & Spa: As the name implies, you have access to a spa if you lodge in this hotel, which makes life comfortable. It is also helpful that this hotel is close to many places in the city, so distance is not an issue. The staff are always professional and have an aim to ensure that you have a pleasant stay.
• Mövenpick Hotel: The view from this hotel is pleasing to many people, so you would see that people rush for this option. It has many state of the art facilities that make lodging enjoyable.
Hostels and Guest Houses
If you would prefer to stay in a hostel or guest house, here are some of the available options in Tangier:
• Mimi Calpe: We do not know what you think about a guest house, but we can assure you that this is not like many typical guest houses. It has many facilities that make it top-notch such as a pool and a beautiful garden. The view from this guest house is also captivating, and its prices are affordable.
• The Riad Hostel: It is a small and clean hostel at an excellent location. Lodging at this place comes with free Wi-Fi and breakfast, so it is not surprising that it is one of the best hostels in the city.
If your accommodation preference is to stay in an apartment, here are some of the available options in Tangier:
• Apartment Hotel Rania: The feeling of warmth at this place is undeniable, making it an excellent lodging option. The owner is always ready to assist foreigners, and it has a relaxing ambiance. The only downside to staying in this apartment is that it is in the city center, so it can be noisy sometimes.
• Complexe Rico Costa: It is a standard apartment in the city that is well-furnished to meet the taste of anyone who stays in it. Your comfort is assured if you stay here, so you can make plans for it.
There are some ways a foreigner can reduce costs when traveling to a new place, and Couchsurfing is one of those methods. If you do not know what this means, allow us to explain it to you. Through Couchsurfing, willing locals signify interest to offer up their homes to tourists, and they are linked.
Some people say that Couchsurfing is one of the best ways to explore and discover a new city as you get to have direct contact with a local and study how they behave.
Some people love this option, while others are skeptical about it. If you do not mind the idea, you should do it in Tangier.
If you love camping, here are some of the campsites in Tangier:
• Camping Miramonte: Interestingly, it has many facilities, including a swimming pool. The idea is to have fun and come alive, which involves eating and telling stories. It provides a medium for locals and foreigners to connect, and we know that you will not have a dull time there. It is one of the best campgrounds in the city as it has much to offer.
• Camping Achakar: There are no luxurious facilities at this place, so you get to have a proper camp experience. However, the thrill keeps many people going, and they usually have a pleasurable time.
How to Get There
It is one thing to decide that you want to travel to a particular place, but this cannot happen if you do not know the means of transportation that will take you there. Knowing how to get there is essential, and it is something that no foreigner should miss while planning.
Imagine a situation where you are prepared and have fixed a date for departure, randomly selecting a means of transportation, not knowing that it does not reach your destination. The disappointment will be evident, and you will be left frustrated as your plans will be shattered.
To avoid this, ensure that you research on how to reach there.
Using air is an easy and stress-free means of reaching Tangier, and it is something that many people wish to utilize. However, the constraint occurs when there is no direct flight from your location down there.
When this occurs, some people are left unhappy and think that they cannot reach the city any longer. However, this is a lie as you can fly to another place and get a connecting flight. What matters is that you research the area that gets you a connecting flight.
The only requirement is that all persons entering or leaving Morocco are required to complete an entry/exit card.
It is feasible to use a bus to Tangier if you desire, but the location is always a constraint. The idea of using a bus entails that you are in close range to the city; else, you will not find a bus.
Typically, people do not like to travel long distances by bus. If you want to use a bus to Tangier, it could be that you are already in one of the Moroccan cities or a nearby town in another country.
Asides from that, you should know that you cannot use a bus if you are far away as you will not see a bus.
The idea of using a train centers on the availability of a railway in the city, and we can say that there is an efficient railway system in Tangier. Thus, you can conceive the thoughts of using a train to reach the city.
The train services have been since existence in 2003, and they have remained efficient. If you want to use a train, you should either be in Europe or within Africa. Those in Europe can use an overnight train to get to the city.
The downside to using a train is that it is slow, and it may bring you discomfort, which will affect your mood.
The term hitchhiking is getting popular daily, but many people do not know what it means.
If you decide to use hitchhiking as a form of transportation to Tangier, we would assume that you are either doing it for the thrill or do not have an adequate transportation budget and trying to cut down costs.
The idea of hitchhiking entails staying on the road and flagging down cars, hoping that any of them will be a Good Samaritan and take to the city. Of course, you know that you need to be within Morocco for this option to work.
You can also use either a boat or ferry to reach Tangier. After all, there are water bodies, so it is feasible.
The constraint to this option is that many people are scared of traveling through water, so this is not on the top of their mind when it concerns how to reach a city.
However, it should be considered if you are going to Tangier as it gives you an option that is not typical, and we know that you will enjoy the experience.
The goal is to have memories that you can share after you leave the city and that this story can be passed to other generations.
The issue of transportation does not stop in knowing how to get there, as you also need to check the available means of transportation for moving around in the city. After all, a person has to reach different places, and it is the means of transport that will come in handy.
It can be confusing in a new city as you do not know how they operate, so you should be friendly with the locals. We would also not fail to mention the language barrier as one of the major constraints when it concerns moving around. However, adequate research is also always helpful.
Walking around has proven to be one of the easiest means of movement, and this plays out in Tangier, especially as it is easy to navigate the city.
If you ever feel lost, try remembering that different landmarks or ask a local for directions. While walking, you get to move at your pace, so it is an enjoyable experience majority of the time.
Another viable option for movement around Tangier is to use a bicycle. After all, there are many places to see, and cycling gives you a sort of unexplainable happiness.
You can take pictures as you cycle around, but ensure that you do it with permission. The roads are favorable for cyclers, so you should not worry. However, it will not be wrong to have your safety kit.
One can say that using a scooter is almost similar to use a bicycle, so you know that you can use one since riding bicycles are allowed in the city.
Scooters assist in movement, but you must follow all the rules and regulations to ensure that you do not get issues with the local authorities. You should also be safety conscious as you ride around the city.
Using a public bus is almost classified as the general method of movement in many cities. However, understanding how it works is another ball game, and it leaves foreigners worried. It could be that you do not understand the fare charges, or most of the instructions are in a language you do not know.
However, locals are usually willing to help, and you will see this happening in Tangier.
Tram, Train and Subway
It is best to have your cash handy if you want to use a train in Tangier as it is not always that your debit card will work. There are two types of trains in this city, and they differ based on comfort. Thus, the price of one is higher than the other.
When you get a picture of both, you can decide which you prefer.
The idea of sustainable shopping is to buy useful items, ensuring that they are eco-friendly. It is not hard to get such things in Tangier, so one can say that sustainable shopping is feasible in this city.
To make things easier, you should patronize the small businesses as they have many sustainable items. Interestingly, you can also do sustainable shopping at the mall.
Some of the food markets in Tangier are:
• Souk Dradeb: It is the place to visit if you want to get fresh food items in Tangier. You will realize that it is one of the biggest in the city and well-organized to ensure that you have easy navigation.
• Marché Central de Poisson de Tanger: This market focuses on seafood, so you know where to visit if you love or want to buy seafood.
If you want to shop at a flea market when in Tangier, some of them are:
• Casabarata Market: People say that there is a wide range of products at this market, and you will always find what you desire. The sellers put up their goods for a fair price, so people always frequent it.
• Galerie Tindouf: It is an antique store that has been in business for years, and it is one of the best in the city.
Second Hand Stores
The idea that surrounds a second-hand store is to have a place where you can buy thrift items. They are not new, but they are of high quality. There are no limitations to what you can buy through thrift shopping, so you should check around for what you desire.
It is common knowledge that the prices are lower at a second-hand store, making it come in handy.
We cannot talk about sustainability or sustainable shopping without mentioning eco-fashion as these clothing items are made from eco-friendly materials and stay unique always.
It is a fast-rising trend in Tangier, and designers wish that people would patronize this concept more as it helps to save and protect the environment. As a foreigner, keying into this idea makes you a responsible traveler.
The essence of recycling cannot be downplayed, which is why we see many companies that dedicate their services to sorting thrash so they can get reusable items and use them to create something new and better. It is proper to do this than the burning of the thrash.
Some people volunteer to be recyclers when in a new place, while others ensure that they properly sort their thrash before disposing of it.
If you mention waste management in Tangier, it is common for people to assume that you are talking about burning the waste. However, it goes beyond that as it also entails proper disposing and ensuring that littering does not occur.
Although some companies help make this happen, it should be a collective effort, so you should play your part when in Tangier.
Work and Study Abroad
There are different reasons why a student will choose to study in Tangier, but there is also the question of working to not run low on cash.
There is no restriction concerning working while schooling in this city, but you should always ensure that none suffers for the other, or you will have complications.
One of the ways that Tangier gets its international students is through exchange programs. It is something that many schools do, and you can join in the initiative.
Once the plans are concluded, you will be schooling in the city for a particular duration.
Getting jobs may indeed be difficult for a foreigner, but the au pair concept makes it more accessible as all you need to do is check the website and see if a local has a job opening.
Ease is something that people love, and it is always essential.
You can visit Tangier as a volunteer, but ensure that you make an impact.