Eco-friendly travel guide to Varadero advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Varadero, Cuba.
- Air quality: 4.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4.5 / 5
- Public transportation: 4 / 5
- Parks: 5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 3 / 5
- Accommodation: US$18 - $435
- Budget per day: US$50 - $600
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Varadero is the largest resort town in Cuba and the Caribbean. This Cuban town is often called Playa Azul by the locals, which means Blue Beach in Spanish. The attraction of the town is its beach which is ranked as the world's best beaches in 2019. Being a resort town, Varadero has a population of only 27,170 people that reside in an area of 48 square kilometres. This town is a great vacation spot for tourists that are looking for some peaceful time in a getaway destination. The crime rates and pollution levels are also quite shallow as compared to other areas of Cuba. It is the reason that this town is quite popular in entire Cuba among vacationers.
Although the pollution rates in Varadero are in control, the main reason for its presence is the use of motorized vehicles. You will find that there are no electronic vehicles present in the town. The locals either use personal cars or public transports, which operate on fossils fuels. It is the reason why there is some air pollution present in the atmosphere of Varadero. To make your Varadero trip successful, you should think of such alternatives that will not only keep your expenses within budget but also cause no harm to the local environment. The best way to make your trip satisfactory is by following some eco-friendly measures like using public transports or electronic vehicles, reducing and recycling waste, using localized products and services, opting for green hotels, etc. These measures will not only make your trip sustainable but also help the local communities to grow. Also, doing so will help you travel responsibly.
Air Quality and Pollution
The air quality of this town is excellent. There are many trees and forests in this town, which helps maintain fresh air and the environment. You will not see much traffic in this country because most locals prefer eco-friendly ways to travel. There is a shallow risk of getting airborne diseases such as lung cancer, asthma, and other respiratory diseases. As a responsible tourist, it is your duty that you must not create pollution in any means and should adopt every eco-friendly method to reduce your carbon footprints. There are no traces of noise pollution and light pollution, which means that they are under control.
Respect the Culture
We must respect the town's culture or the country as different cultures denote many things about the past, faiths, beliefs, way of worship, and other ethnic groups' perspectives. There are many ways to worship; you can learn them by respecting and understanding the culture. There are Roman Catholics who are present in the majority in this town. Therefore, most of the culture comes from Christianity. The people of this town celebrate cultural festivals with great joy and enthusiasm, including traditional dances, cuisines, and various other activities.
Top 10 Places to Visit
- Varadero Beach: It's the most famous and the best beach in the whole of Cuba. The Varadero beach features irresistible shores covered with white sand and turquoise waters, which is undoubtedly crystal clear. The beach is loved by tourists and therefore is almost always full of tourists. The beach is stretch in an area of 25 kilometres, which is approximately more than 15 miles. Since this beach is prolonged, its shores are also divided. Some of the shores are superb for snorkelling, and some of them are excellent for swimming. There is also a vast market place selling almost every food you will find in Cuba's cuisine and that too the most authentic ones. During some seasons, the beach is closed because of the high and low tide. Therefore, research is needed before coming here. This place is a must-visit place in the list if you happen to visit the city of Varadero.
- Cueva Saturno: Cueva Saturno, literal translation means, Saturno Cave. Caves are of limestone and are the airport of Varadero. There is a path that goes from the scrub, which takes you directly to the Saturno Caves. We can also say that there are many caves interlocked with each other forming a complex cave system. Inside of these caves is magnificent and extremely beautiful. You can also find a place where you can swim, often referred to as the swimming hole. Although this place faces direct heat and sunlight from the sun, it also has a refreshing feeling as if relaxing you and drifting you away from your hectic daily schedule. From the roof of the cave, there is a constant drip of stalactites, and from the depths of water, stalagmites often rise. It is the most loved tourist destination. Most tourists admire the awe-inspiring rock formations, swim in the freshwater, and dive off the crystallized columns. If you visit here, there is advice that you carry your snorkel, mask, and aqua shoes for a comfortable and undisturbed visit here.
- Parque Josone: Parque Josone is a Cuban park that sits in the Varadero’s heart. In the year 1940, the oasis was built. During that time, it was initially the property of the owner of the factory named Jose Uturrio. He is the only person who is believed to have built a mansion here for his beloved wife, Onelia. The meander's path was around a garden flocked by many different colours of flowers, the fountains near the park gurgled, and a bridge that can also be called an ornamental one that went above a small lake, where there were ducks who used to bob contentedly. Visitors often come here to glide or paddle around the lake on boats that were available for hire. They also come here to relax under the palm trees. There was also the primary residence, which is now turned into a restaurant. This restaurant also had a guest house. Along the park, you will find a swimming pool located towards its southern end.
- Delfinario: This is basically paradise or heaven for people who love water creatures, especially dolphins. People who love animals can come here and cuddle, commune, and even kiss the dolphins. Here, you can also see a dolphin show; after that, you are taken to a lagoon filled with saltwater there; you can personally meet a dolphin and kiss it and do other things. Before this, the management asks your permission, and if you are willing to meet the dolphin only then, they take you to the saltwater lagoon. You are also given a set of instructions and rules, so you know how to handle a dolphin. One by one, all the guests meet the dolphin individually. You can also swim with them in the waters, pat them, and do some fun tricks as well. You are not allowed to click photos; however, your session's pictures and videos are sold to you at the end of the show. Of course, it's your choice to purchase it or not.
- Varadero Street Market: Varadero Street Market is one of the best places for buying random stuff in the city of Varadero. Everything you need to buy, or you can think of is available here. Generally, things here are made from leather; both the original and artificial leather is available here, paintings, hats that are woven, carvings made n wood, paintings, jewellery, and t-shirts specially made for tourists with slogans like I LOVE CUBA, etc. printed on them. One of the best things here is that the locals make most of the items listed above to earn their livelihood. Moreover, since they are made by hand engraving, a particular name and customizing the things are also possible here. That makes it a perfect place to buy gifts for someone special. There are also many shops, restaurants, and stalls on streets that serve many authentic and traditional Cuban cuisine dishes. Large-sized carriages which are drawn by horses are also a must-do thing here.
- Parque Ecológico Varahicacos: Parque Ecológico Varahicacos, whose literal translation says Varadero Ecological Park. This park is situated on the Hicacos Peninsula, to be precise, the far end of the peninsula. This peninsula is packed with restaurants and resorts for the convenience of the tourists. This peninsula also keeps you very close to nature. This park is protected and transformed as a nature reserve. The ecological park is also home to many species of endangered and exotic flora and fauna. The fauna of the Island includes many different species of lizards, birds, and insects. The flora of the Island has many other species of orchids and cactus. Tourists can also play on the white sand beaches here. Hiking trails are also made in the park to ensure a closer experience for the tourists, but the paths are narrow, and the ground is very rocky and steep. So, hiking shoes are a must when visiting here. This place is not safe for children. It is also advised to carry mosquito repellent to have a safe trip.
- Playa Coral: If you like snorkelling very much then, Varadero is the place to fulfil all your wishes while you are in Cuba. It serves as one of the few best places to experience and explore the underwater world. The underwater world is very diverse on the Island. There are almost all types of fishes and marine life. From very graceful coral gardens to tropical fishes, everything was available on this Island. You can visit here either by booking a tour or also by solo travelling on your own. If you are a swimmer or a snorkeler and are too confident, you can even come here alone, but if you are not that confident in your swimming, it is advisable to book a tour in advance and then arrive here. You can also go scuba diving here. The ocean or sea currents on this Island is very high, so it is advised to stay away as far as possible from the low tides.
- Mansión Xanadú: This vast and massive villa was constructed in the year 1929. It was then owned by a wealthy entrepreneur from America whose name was Alfred Irenee Dupont de Nemours. But soon after the revolution occurred in Cuba, the American entrepreneur had to leave the country and the mansion itself. After he left the villa, it was counted as a property of the government of Cuba. If we look, it is traditionally constructed with ceramic tiles, rich woods, and Italian marble. One of the fascinating things here is that the ceramic tiles which are used were thermal insulated. This villa is not just crucial as many tiles and other items are used. It is also essential as it has got his historical importance as well. Now, the mansion is transformed into a golf clubhouse, and it also serves as one of the most luxurious hotels in the city. If you happen to visit here, you can catch a glimpse of some paintings of ancient times hung here.
- La Casa del Ron: Here, you can taste the most authentic rum from Cuba. If you like drinking liquor, then you are sure to enjoy the place. The place is officially called La Casa del Ron, whose literal meaning is the house of rum. This is a place that clearly defines its name to its fullest. This is guaranteed, and that is, this place has got a varied variety and an extensive collection of rum. Probably the best group you will find in the whole of the Caribbean or Cuba. However, there is no guarantee about the price that you'll definitely get the cheapest one here, but there is absolutely no compromise for quality. This place also holds a various exhibition that is on brewing rum. It would be best if you were lucky enough to get free samples of some specific rum to taste.
- La Casa del Habano: If you like smoking, this place is like a paradise for you. The location is officially called La Casa del Habano, whose literal meaning is the house of cigars. It is basically a whole villa or a mansion filled with cigarettes and cigars of various brands. The collection here is varied and immense. Moreover, for the convenience of the tourists or any visitor here, no extra money is charged. Therefore, we can also say that this place is not a trap for tourists. This is also a unique place as it is a whole villa dedicated only to cigars, which is really rare. You can also purchase cigars in bulk quantity, or only one or two can also be purchased. Since Cuban tobacco is famous worldwide, this becomes a must-visit place if you visit Varadero.
There are many eye-catching views in Varadero that attracts many tourists. You can see many city parks, national parks, museums, beaches, and landmarks there. In addition to this, there are many natural attractions, such as caves and islands. Exploring Varadero will help make memories, and it is very beneficial in discovering new things. While doing this, you must know that you must eat what is right for your health as it will help you gain strength and energy to explore.
There are many city parks you can see in Varadero, and some of them are listed below. Parks attract many tourists as they have rides for kids' enjoyment, beautiful scenes, cleanliness, and various other facilities. City parks also play a significant role in economic benefits. They strengthen property values, increase municipal revenue, bring in homebuyers and workers, and attract retirees. Parks also help to maintain clean air and improve public health. Green and open spaces also filter soil, reduce water pollution, beneficial for mental and physical health. You can visit parks for fresh air, greenery, open space, and maintain mental peace.
- Josone Park
- Parco Publico
- The Great Cactus
- Las Morlas
- Parque de Las 8000 Taquillas
To conserve and preserve flora and fauna, national parks are important as national parks provide a sustainable climate to plants and animals for survival. If you love to explore different plants and animal species, you must visit Varadero's national parks. The endangered species are specially monitored in national parks. National parks also teach us to maintain balance in the ecosystem and provide opportunities to learn and explore the natural environment. You can enjoy nature, create an experience of the natural and various species of plants and animals. There are a lot of adventurous and adrenaline-filled things you can do in these parks of Varadero.
- Varahicacos Ecological Reserve
- Peninsula de Zapata National Park
- Alejandro de Humboldt National Park
- La Guira National Park
Beaches are an important part of life, as you can enjoy many benefits, such as sunbathing, relaxing your mind, reducing anxiety and depression. The sand of beaches is a natural exfoliator, so it will help to shed dead skin cells. Beaches help get proper and relaxing sleep as sea air carries negative ions, which help us absorb oxygen more efficiently. People love just to lay down and do nothing on the beaches as the sound of the splash of waves and beating sun make it a relaxing destination. Sunbathing is very popular on beaches, people also play freebies, read magazines, and do many more interesting activities on Varadero's famous beaches.
- Slice of Paradise
- Sol Palmeras
- Hicaos Peninsula
- Blau Varadero
Landmarks are reference points for visiting any specific city. They serve an important role for both locals and outside visitors, as they make ways more convenient to reach the destination. There are many landmarks in Varadero, and with the help of these landmarks, you can reach your destination easily and comfortably. These landmarks add revenue for Varadero and are also emotionally connected to the locals, as many cultural festivals and ceremonies usually happen here. Landmarks of Varadero includes various cafes, hotels, city parks, museums, and tombs.
- Mansión Xanadu
- Parque Retiro Josone
- The Museo Municipal de
- Santa Elvira Church
- Reserva Ecológico Varahicacos
A museum is a building where there is a collection of our various ancient, historical, religious, and cultural artefacts. You can see several museums in Varadero, art museums, history museums, science museums, and children's museums. Exploring museums will help you to gain knowledge of authentic culture and natural heritage. It is a nice entertainment source. They teach us critical thinking, creativity, and many important skills. A museum typically exhibits its items in public for knowledge, and you may also get inspired by the history of art - some famous museums of Varadero.
- Municipal Museum of History
- Havana Club Rum Museum
- Cardenas Museum
- Oscar Maria de Rojas Museum
- Iglesia Santa Elvira
- Mi Casa Beatles
- House of Rum
Varadero's food has fewer spices, no MSG, no preservatives, and no extra salt; that is why it is a little bland in taste. So, North American people don't like this bland food, as they have a strong taste in food, they think that this is poor food, but it is healthy. Rice and black bean are two of Varadero's dishes; they serve them with every dish. Pork and chicken are very famous meat dishes. Ropa Vieja is the national dish of Varadero (Cuba), also famous in many other countries like Spain and the Philippines. It is a combination of shredded or pulled stewed beef with vegetables, tomato sauce, yellow rice, and black beans. Spain has little different taste; they serve stewed beef with potatoes, paprika, and chickpeas. It tastes sweet because a little amount of sugar is also added.
Traditional Local Restaurants
Traditional local restaurants or traditional foods come from the past and goes on from generation to generation. Traditional foods and dishes may have a historical precedent in a national dish. These dishes can be homemade, or by restaurants, country foods are also termed as traditional foods. Varadero has many traditional restaurants, which serve national dishes for decades. Some of the Varadero's restaurants serve mouthwatering dishes.
- La Bodeguita del medio
- Don Alex
- Varadero 60
- Esquina Cuba
- Waco's club
- La Rampa
Vegetarian and Vegan
Vegan foods or vegetarian diets are known as healthy and aids weight loss, control blood pressure and lower the risk of obesity. However, if there is an inadequate intake of calcium and protein, it will increase bone fracture risk. There is less trend of vegan or vegetarian foods, but some restaurants really serve very delicious vegetarian foods. Varadero has many vegetarian restaurants that serve according to vegetarian customers' demand; they also serve non-vegetarian dishes, so make sure that your preference should be clear.
- La Casona Del Arte
- Terracita's Cafe
- Salsa Suarez Restaurant-Bar
- Restaurante Bar Atlantida
So, the culture of food in Varadero has a variety which is gathered from around the world. Mostly you can find varieties of seafood up here along with the different types of meats. The best place to explore and get the proper experience of local Cuban cuisine is by eating at local street food stalls. These stalls are present in most public squares and popular streets. These stalls sell all kinds of snack items that range from traditional Cuban ones to the ones with a modern twist.
- Uruguayan pork steak
- Cuban paella
- Roast pork
- Fish croquettes
Most of the drinks famous up here come right from Cuban descent. The drinks have various categories. It can be alcoholic and non-alcoholic depending upon the occasion or simply a refreshment. Some of the popular drinks people drink a lot up here can be found in any bar or on the street.
- Cuba Libre (Cubata)
- Piña Colada
The tap water of this town tastes good and is considered below the pollution rates set by WHO. However, many hotels and resorts have their additional water filtration plant to purify the clean water as the second phase of purification. You can refill the water by carrying a metal water bottle while moving around. Even there are significantly fewer traces of water pollution. You must not pollute the water, and even you should not waste the water; however, if you are living in an apartment, then it is advised that you must boil the water before consuming it.
There are many organic cafes in this town because many tourists visit this town every year. Organic restaurants are cafes that serve organic dishes—there are many advantages to consuming organic food. The ingredients used in these dishes are free from pesticides and fertilizers, which can harm the body's digestive and immune system. Other reasons for consuming organic dishes are they are healthier for the body as it contains natural proteins without any added colour. However, you may notice that the dishes are slightly higher priced than ordinary cafes, but many people prefer their health instead of money.
- Green Gables Cafe
- Food & Thought
- Green Zebra Cafe
- Candle Cafe
- The Organic Grill
- GreenFare Organic Cafe
- P.S. & Co.
Breweries are places where beers are made and sold. There are two types of beers – one that produces and distributes beers internationally, and the second are those beers that are locally distributed. The cost of distribution overseas, including taxes, is very much, which some small breweries cannot afford. These beers are available on a large number, and usually, it does not costs much and many local bars and pubs support these small breweries. There are a lot of breweries in this town because many locals and travellers prefer that.
- Florida Keys Brewing Co
- Buccaneer Brewery
- Stella Artois Brewery
- The White Hag Brewing Company
- Brouwerij de Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren
There are a lot of activities which can be performed in this town. Activities of different categories such as land, air, or water are available, involving a great adventure and joy in each activity. Activities help us to create memories. It also provides experiences in various fields.
- Scuba Diving
- Try out local traditional restaurants
- Visit Museums
- Visit National Parks
- Wind Surfing
- Explore the Town
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga is an ancient Indian practice that helps in obtaining mental and physical peace. It helps us relieve stress, maintains a healthy heart rate, provides flexibility to the body, and lowers depression. There are significantly fewer yoga studios in this town because many hotels provide them; therefore, most travellers perform yoga under their hotels' expertise. You can take the help of the yoga trainer to complete the right methods.
- Blau Varadero
- Meliá Varadero Hotel
- IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul
As it is a tourist town, therefore, there are many accommodation options present here. These accommodation options are available at reasonable rates with various facilities. There are lavish resorts that offer excellent facilities and security, including a private swimming pool, large room, 24 hours room services, and many more. There are other accommodation options which are present in this town at the necessary facilities. There are green hotels, hostels, guest houses, apartments, and camping as other means of accommodation.
Green hotels are best as they protect the environment and provides a new environment. The electricity these hotels use is generated by using solar energy. There are many benefits of staying in these hotels as they offer organic dishes and beverages. Along with the comfort of their customers, they also focus on less wastage of everything.
- Meliá Varadero Hotel
- Iberostar Selection Varadero
- Starfish Cuatro Palmas Varadero
- Allegro Palma Real
- Hotel Sol Palmeras
Hostels and Guest Houses
There are many hostels in this town where you can meet many people travelling from different cities or nations. You can befriend them so that you may not have to travel alone. There are some points which you must remember. First, you must be alerted about your belongings as you might not know your roommate's nature or behaviour. Second, some hostels often have time restrictions, which means that they close their gates after a specific time. Opposite it, some guesthouses offer a complete house if you travel in a large group.
- Casa Villa Sunset
- Casa Liberty
- Front Beach House
- Hostal el Villareño
- Casa Particular Jorge Vargas y Nenita
- Casa Candy Bej. Betty
There are some apartments in this town. These apartments are semi-furnished and are completely hygienic. These apartments are best to stay in if you are staying in this town for a longer time. There are many sea-facing apartments available at standard rent, and it is advised to accommodate in those apartments as it will provide you with the best sunset and sunrise view along with fresh sea breeze.
- Mercy & Robert
- Perfect vacations in Varadero Beach
- Aptos con Vistas Varadero
- Meliá Marina Varadero
- Apartment las Rosas
Few hosts are present in this town, which offers Couchsurfing. You can stay there without any charge, but you will have to help them with their daily chores. Different hosts might provide you with other places to sleep, including your room or just a mattress to sleep. The hosts here do not charge any amount.
Camping is a very adventurous activity that involves exploring the night sky. Even the air of this town is so clean that you can easily see the night sky. There are beaches which are available for camping in this area. The calm sea breeze will help you in relieving stress and get better sleep.
- Las Morlas
- Campismo Canímar Abajo
- Campismo Río Canímar
- Base de campismo Las Cuevas
- Campismo Bacunayagua
- Base de campismo Playa Amarilla
- Camping Peña Blanca
- Campismo Los Cocos
How to Get There
There is only one way to reach this town, and that is airways. Most of the time, you have to take a flight to reach Cuba, and from there, you have many options to reach this town. There are taxis which can be hired to travel intercity. Even buses can be used to travel intercity.
Juan Gualberto Gómez Airport is an international airport that serves Varadero. The elevation of this airport is 64 meters. There are few shops in the terminal of this airport that sell local stuff, clothes, snacks, and beverages. Both parts of this airport are entirely made up of wood.
There are only a few intertown buses which are present in this town. These buses have large space so that if you are travelling at night, you can easily sleep here. These local buses are very comfortable and can be booked online. The ticket price is easily affordable.
There are no intertown trains in this town because the intertown bus network is vast and connects almost every town. Even the population of this town is deficient. The area of this town covers is only 80 cube kilometres. Therefore, it will be very congested to make train tracks.
Hitchhiking is possible in this town, but the problem's that the locals prefer buses as public transport to travel from one town to another. However, you might be lucky if you attracted any of the vehicles. The locals of this town are very humble towards tourists. You must be present on any highway or place with some traffic.
Another way to travel to this town is to take a taxi from neighbouring towns. Riding in a cab can cause a lot of pollution in this town. Therefore, you are not advised to reach this town by taxi until and unless there is an emergency. There are other means of transport which are less costlier.
This is a small town; therefore, most of the tourist places can be visited by walking. There are local buses if you want to reach any location at a far distance. There are bicycles which are available for rent in this town. You can move around in this town safely.
Walking in this town is considered safe as the crime rates are meagre, but you must be alert from the small pickpockets and thieves which moves around and search for distracted foreigners. There are no traces of violent crime rates. There are many gardens and parks for a morning or an evening walk. This town has a coastline beach, which is best for an evening walk and the sunset view.
There are bicycles available for rent throughout the town. You can even join a bicycle tour, which is very inexpensive and full of fun. A group of bicycle tours, including two to ten cyclists. There are some bicycle rentals available, or there are some hotels that have bicycles available for rent.
There are no electronic vehicles present in this town. The pollution is under control, and not much of the population purchase or use electric vehicles. Introducing electric vehicles will be very much costlier, which may include establishing charges for their charging stations. Even the vehicles will be very costly, that the locals will not be able to afford them.
There are double-decker buses and regular buses available as public transport. These buses cover all tourist spots, including beaches. If you are paying in cash, you must remember to have coin change all the time. These buses can be tracked easily using their online app to check availability.
Tram, Train and Subway
There are no trains and trams in this town as it is a tiny town to be covered by trains and trams. Even there is not much of the population. Other than this, the reason is that the cost of building trains and trams is higher than the revenue. There are no traces of subway lines or metros.
Sustainable shopping is a new type of shopping that focuses on reducing the impact on the local environment. There are different markets and shops where you can buy such products as their popularity is increasing amongst the locals and tourists. These items' popularity is increasing because of their high quality, health benefits, and prolonged use. You will find that the food markets, flea markets, eco-fashion shops, and second-hand goods stores are the places where you can find such items.
- Calle 15 Panamericana
- Bodega La Union
- Kawama Store
- Tienda Mixta Caracol
- Plaza Caracol Minimercado
- Mercado Artesania
- Varadero Street Market
- Mercadillo Viernes
Second Hand Stores
- Puntarenas de Cuba
- Atlantis Varadero
- Plaza América
- La Casa del Habano
- Zara clothing
- Pepe Jeans
Recycling is done at a very high level in this town. Papers are reused. Organic waste is converted into fertilizers and manure for farming and agricultural use. Metal waste such as cans and other metal objects is used by melting them and making different ornaments out of it. Electronic waste, including television computers and many other electronic types of equipment, is resold after repairing.
Due to a lot of tourism, there is a lot of waste in this town. However, the waste management of this town is efficient enough to keep this town clean. There are garbage collecting vehicles that collect garbage from every residential. There are cleaning vehicles that clean the streets, and there are various NGOs that cleans the beach.
Work and Study Abroad
There are not many jobs which are available in this town as this is a tiny town. However, you can get jobs like a salesman, shop employee, waiter in cafes and restaurants and many others. You can get primary education here like schools, but you have to move to Cuba's major cities for higher education. There are colleges still present, but the quality of the education they provide is not efficient enough.
An exchange student is an international program in which students of the colleges or universities are sent abroad to complete their education. There is no such university in this town because it is a tourist town and focuses on travellers and their comfort. Primary schools are available, but you have to move to major cities in Cuba for higher education.
An au pair is an individual from a foreign country who takes care of the children and the household of a family. You have to use your social skills to get work. However, there are only a few au pair of works available. It is that most couples have housewives or joint family so anyone can take care of the child.
There are not many volunteering organizations or agencies in Varadero. The reason for only a few volunteering organizations is because it is a peaceful town. The crime rates are meagre, and the standard of living of the locals is excellent. Tourists can participate in the volunteering activities of the organizations to get some inner peace or satisfaction during their visit to Varadero.