Eco-friendly travel guide to Amritsar advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Amritsar, India.
- Air quality: 3 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.5 / 5
- Public transportation: 3/ 5
- Parks: 3/ 5
- Outdoor activities: 2 / 5
- Locals' English level: 2 / 5
- Safety: 2/ 5
- Accommodation: US$7 - $800
- Budget per day: US$15 - $1200
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
'Amritsar is renowned for being the second most popular city in the Indian state of Punjab. It is historically known as RAMDASPUR. Amritsar is a well-developed city and has a very rich culture and an illustrious history. As an eco-friendly tourist, here are some options for moving around the city:
- Try to make use of the public buses and public transport in general run by the local government and private travel agencies. They are very comfortable. And they connect different corners of the city, and they are very affordable.
- If you have a valid driving license, you can rent a few eco-friendly vehicles, both two-wheelers, and four-wheelers. There are many options to get these services.
- As an eco-friendly tourist, the other option you will have for responsible traveling in the city of Amritsar is auto-rickshaw. They are very cheap and easy to find. The drivers are well versed in the roads. Mostly they prefer to the shortest distance.
Air Quality and Pollution
In Amritsar, the air pollution level is quite high. As a tourist, you wouldn’t have too many qualms about the winter temperatures; these shall range between 10-20 degrees Celsius. At the same time, nights are cold with a minimum temperature of 5 degrees Celcius. However, the climatic conditions during the summer season span from April to July. Even during the hottest months, nights are usually cool. December and January are the coldest months. Best time to visit Amritsar is from November to January.
It is the most populated city in the state. As the city is widely spread a lot of waste is generated. The government has to take drastic measures to avoid choking the citizens and often does so by shutting a few industries, implementing an alternative private car usage system, and promoting public transport. The best time to visit this city is in the winter season.
Respect the Culture
There are some basic things that you can learn, understand, and appreciate the culture of the people living here. This city is basically the heart of the state and possesses the second-largest position in Punjab. India is the only nation having the unity of all religions, though we cannot specify any country's specific religion. Here are Hindu, Muslim, Christians, Buddhists, etc., all religions. Amritsar is prominently a Sikh metropolitan. There is mostly the Punjabi community all over the city.
The dressing style of men is wearing a Thehmat and Kurta which is replaced by kurta and pajama. However, women wear a Punjabi dress which is basically known as Patiala salwar. Men wear a pagdi on their head, which is the sign of Punjabi people. Basically, people speak Punjabi, Hindi, and English languages, but Punjabi is the preferred language. Therefore as a tourist, you must learn the culture, way of living, respect cultural diversity and ethnicity while visiting it.
Some social courtesies are followed by people that are quite normal. The people living there speak a few words in the local language to admire and respect you. They say Sasriyakal to admire you. Whenever you visit religious places, private homes, or buildings, you must take off your shoes as this is a part of their culture.
The basic food of Punjabi’s is roti(tortilla) and vegetables as well as non-vegetarian sabzi(curry), which is served with a large amount of butter or ghee. Lassi is the basic drink that is prepared by using curd. The specialty is making ki roti and Sarson da saag.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Amritsar is a city in the north-western Indian state of Punjab. As it is the Punjabi community's state, there are several gurudwaras and temples in the city. Golden temple is a special attraction in the city.
- Golden temple: It is one of the most spiritual places in India. It is also known as Sri Harmandir Sahab. It is the holiest place in the state. It is located in the heart of Amritsar city. It is an easily reachable place. The temple is situated between the river. It is completely coated with gold, so it is known as a golden temple. There are a large number of devotees devotes daily. They provide daily langar for the people.
- Wagah Border: The border between India and Pakistan. It is 28 km from the city. In Wagah border, there is a beating retreat ceremony, held daily at sunset. Every day before the sunset, soldiers from India and Pakistan meet every day and display military showmanship.
- Guru ke mahal: Guru Ramdas founded Guru ke mahal in 1573. It is the shelter for the great Gurus of Sikhs. The timings are from 5 am to 10 pm. It is situated near the Golden temple, which is on the main street.
- Jallainwala bagh: It is located near the Golden Temple. Jallainwala bagh is associated with the saddest day in Indian history when thousands of innocent people are killed on General Dyer's orders. The people were celebrating the Baisakhi. The Jallianwala bagh is now converted into a beautiful park. And it is managed by the Jallianwala bagh national memorable trust.
- Gurudwara Mata kailan: It is located on the edge of kaulan river. A believer, kaulan, was punished by patriarchs. It is 2kms away from the city. The gurudwara is named after the memory of Bibi kaulan. The kirtans of Bibi Kaulan still sing every evening in the memory of bibi kaulan.
- Gurudwara Bibeksar Sahib: It is situated near the Chattiwind Gate in the city of Amritsar. It is approximately 2kms from the Golden Temple. And opposite to the Ramsar Saheb Gurudwara. The 6th Sikh guru created it.
- Khair-Ud-Din Masjid : Famous for its architecture. Mohd Khairuddin established this masjid. A Muslim scholar and political leader, Syed Ata and Ullah Shah Bukhari, take the field against the British rule. Jama Masjid is also known as Khairuddin masjid. This is the insanely beautiful mosque which is visited by the local people as well as tourists.
- Akal Takht: Akal Takht is located 2kms away from the city. Takht means throne of the Immortal. It is the highest political institution of the Sikh religion. Akal Takht is the seat of Sikh authority and the Sikh community. It is located in front of the Golden Temple, Amritsar. The timings are from 4 am to 11 pm.
- Gobind Gadh: Gobind Gadh fort is a great reflection of Punjab’s past. It is known as the symbol of the era of Punjab. It is located 1kms away from the city. There are various Punjabi attire, weapons from ancient times, and household items on display. They also provide laser and light shows for the people as well as for tourists.
- Durgiana Temple: This temple is also known as Lakshmi Narayan Temple. It is completely made up of silver, so it is named as a silver temple and still mandir. It is located 1kms from the city. It represents the resemblance of the Golden Temple. The timings are from 6 am to 10 pm. There is no entry fee for people and tourists.
The Amritsar has quite good things to offer for the people. The city comprises various parks, museums, monuments, zoos. The city has its active nightlife with various nightclubs, though it is not the same as the other western countries.
- Gurunanak park: Located in the defense colony, Ranjit Avenue. The park has various slides for children. Also, this park has a walking track and cycling track.
- Hotel city park: Hotel city park is located in an aware chowk, near Jallianwala bagh. The area is comprised of greenery everywhere and growing as commercial growth. Small structures are created. The park timings are 6-10 am and 4-8 pm.
- Abohar national park: Situated in the Fazilka district. This park is famous for porcupines, black ducks, blackbuck, blue bull, wild boars—the best time to visit Abhor national park during the winter season. The best months are from October to march. The summer season is not recommended for the visit.
- Bir Moti Bagh National Park: The park is located at Patiala in Punjab. It is one of the best places for tourism. The deer, the bear can be easily spotted in the park. There are various animals, birds, etc., in this century, which makes this park a center of attraction for the tourist. This park also contains a snake park where a variety of snakes are there.
The city of Amritsar is situated in the northern part of India, which is landlocked. Hence, as a tourist, you will not be able to find any beaches here or anywhere close by as well. The nearest possible beach is a few thousand miles away and doesn’t even lie in the Amritsar.
- Tarn Taran Sahib: Tarn Taran Sahib is the city of the Majha region of Punjab. It is the district headquarters and the municipal council hosts. It is located in the center of the city. The area is 6km square. The 6th guru of Sikhs establishes it.
- The Maharaja Ranjit Statue: located in the Rambagh garden, which adorns the lush green garden. It denotes that the Raja Ranjit Singh saddled on his horse proudly.
- Khalsa College: It is a historical, educational institution in the city of Amritsar. It was established in 1892. The campus of this college is around eight kilometers from the city. Khalsa College is established in the British Raj.
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh: Maharaja Ranjit Singh is known as the lion of Punjab in Indian history. The museum contains historical monuments, maps, pictures, paintings, utensils, charts, models, etc. And also contains the various species of animals. This is one of the tourist attractions in the city. It is famous for its art and culture, where it defines very well.
- Partition Museum: The museum was created after the partition of India. It is constructed in the year 1896. This museum has the finest collection of silver, gold, ivory ornaments, and various musical instruments, making the museum more attractive. The museum timings are from 10 am-6 pm.
Amritsar is the most famous place in Punjab. It is also famous for its local Punjabi food. Let us have a look at the famous places in Amritsar.
Traditional Local Restaurants
In Amritsar, several traditional restaurants serve traditional authentic Punjabi food. Basically, Amritsar is a self-basic city where most of the community belongs to the Sikh religion. So to have decent Punjabi food, you are in the best place. Makke ki roti and Sarson da saag is the specialty of Punjab.
- Kesar Da Dhaba
- Beera chicken corner
- The Kulcha Land
- Makhan Fish and Chicken Corner
Vegetarian and Vegan
Vegetarian and vegan food is the basic culture of Indian society. In Amritsar, several restaurants serve these foods. There are very popular vegetarian as well as vegan hotels in Amritsar are as follows:
- Shudh Dhaba
- Majha Kulcha shop
- The Bachan’s Vishno Kundan Dhaba
After visiting Amritsar, You must eat their famous street foods such as Amritsari lassi, Amritsari Kulcha, etc.
- The Kulcha Land Amritsar is famous for kulcha. Kulcha is made up of maida roti, stuffed with a spicy mixture of boiled, mashed potatoes, cauliflower, and paneer. It is cooked in tandoor and served with a large amount of butter or ghee. Generally consumed with pickles, chole.
- Sharma Sweet Shop: Jalebi is a trendy sweet dish which no one can be avoided. The jalebis are crispy and filled with the sugary syrup and dripping with the taste of ghee.
- Bharawan Da Dhaba: Sarson da saag and makke ki roti is the authentic food of Punjabis, which is basically consumed in winter. It gives warmth to the body. The buttery corn roti is served with the creamy Sarson da saag.
India has some amazing and exotic drinks. Alcohol is also easily available, so you will not have to worry on that front. Other drinks that you should definitely try are:
- Lassi (Yogurt Milk)
- Ganne ka ras (Sugarcane juice)
In Amritsar, the tap water is the major source of water provided by the municipal corporation to all over the city. It is completely safe and potable to drink.
This concept of organic café is new. Here are some organic cafes in the city.
- Café OZ
- Multanis café
- Café green restaurant
The city of Amritsar is known to be a popular haven for brewed alcoholic drinks aficionados. As a tourist, you can certainly enjoy the choicest of brews at some of the most popular breweries and micro-distilleries; a few popular ones are listed below:
- The Unique Café and bar
- The Beer café
- EI Nido café and lounge
Amritsar is very active, and the popular city in the state as many of the youngsters come here for the study and their jobs. So there is more craze of activities here. The gym, as well as various training centers, are active most of the time in the morning as well as evening.
Also, there are various parks and gardens where people can spend most of their time walking and talking with their dear ones. There are various activities carried out by people, such as traveling, shopping, etc.
Yoga and Retreats
The nation of India is known to be the land of Yoga. It is renowned across the globe for being the home of yoga. India has been the vocal champion for inculcating yoga into our daily lives. The people living in India nowadays are getting more health-conscious day by day. So the training and fitness center is going on with large growth.
- Gold's Gym Amritsar
- The world Gym
- Ozone The fitness World
- Dawn Gym
- Vigorous Fitness Gym
As Amritsar is one of the famous cities in India, most people visit here continuously. Hence providing accommodation is the basic need for them. The city has all types of hotels that provide 3 to 5-star hotels. Also, they provide pocket-friendly hotels and services for the tourists coming to their hotels. Students can also opt for the guest houses as well as the paying guests.
In Amritsar, recently, green hotels are started serving their services. Green hotels are quite safe and affordable. Some green hotels are as given below you can visit.
- Green Garden Amritsar
- Green Acres Haveli Retreat
- Taj Swarna
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels and paying guests are quite cheap than hotels. They provide all the facilities. It is best for the students and the tourists coming from different cities and countries as well. Here are some guest houses for guests and tourists.
- Tourist Guest House
- Puri Guest House
- Shiv Shankar Guest House
- Asha Guest House
If you wish to take apartments, suppose you plan to live for a long time taking an apartment as on rent is the best option here I suggest. You will be getting all services such as water, electricity, which are the basic needs of the people living anywhere. You may have the best options, and it will save you money too. You can select different sizes of apartments according to your requirements.
The couch surfing concept hasn’t taken place in India. There is a minimal number of Indians who believe in the concept of couch surfing. As a tourist, we would advise you against it, but unless you have a trustworthy host, you can receive a first-hand review.
Camping is mostly happened here to get peace and experiencing real nature. As a tourist, you will have many places where camping could be the best way to enjoy places. The most famous camping camps are as follows.
- Harjaas Holidays
- The student tours for north India
- Dharamshala trekking and Amritsar
How to Get There
Amritsar is quite a well-developed city in Punjab. It is well connected with air. If you are an international tourist and wish to visit Amritsar, you can reach here via reaching Delhi by using a bus or train. You can reach here from any city as it is having a lot of flights coming going daily. Again let us have a look at the different ways to get here.
Sri Guru Ram Das Jee International airport Amritsar is located 11kms from the city. It is connected to almost all major cities in India. For an International journey, you might have to travel to Mumbai International airport, as it is the nearest International airport.
If someone wishes to move from Amritsar to another city via road, one can opt for the bus where you will find a wide variety of options as the local Government has extensive buses which include basic buses as well as luxurious buses. You can choose according to your budget, destination, and need you can select the service. Also, many private bus options are available. The ticketing for the most luxurious buses can be done by yourself only.
The Amritsar Junction is the railway station in Amritsar. The train is a very feasible option for traveling from one city to another. It is the safest among all the majors. Amritsar city also has locals in some specific areas. It is a very pocket-friendly service. These rails are also connected to most of the major cities in India, such as Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Delhi, etc.
'Hitchhiking is the most common practice in other nations, but it isn’t the same for India. Though many people are caring, sweet, and hospitable, you can’t trust the city's people. There are many thieves, and they can loot you as a foreigner by asking for extra money. Many rape and violent crimes are taking place here. So it is always better to use GPS signals in public as well as in private transport. There is very much vogue in the city, but you might have to be very careful. Avoid hitchhiking at night and in lonely places.
Nowadays, everyone is going digital one can use mobile apps for traveling or else can use their own motorbike, bicycles, taxies, etc. You certainly could use sharing taxies and might want to stick to conventional means of transport.
The city of Amritsar is quite a vast city. Moving around on foot isn’t really an option unless you want to explore areas nearby. The greenest way to move around would be e-rickshaws and auto rickshaws. In this section of the article, we shall cover all the available means of transport in the city.
As mentioned above the city is quite widespread, and walking isn’t the best choice unless your destination is close. Walking is a great choice for the shortest distance. If you wish to visit the market and the crowded spots, it is the best way to explore. One can also replace walking with different means of transport, such as bicycles, electronic vehicles, and public transport such as trains, buses, etc.
Bicycles are also available for rent so that one can make use of them. Riding bicycles in the town are among the best options for the shortest distance as it is more reliable and affordable.
Though this a new concept a beginning has been made and we can see some vehicles powered by electricity are coming in use nowadays. Few rentals provide private electric cars on rent, this a quite good concept for people. But the majority of people find petrol and diesel cars and vehicles more reliable, as a city severe a lack of electronic vehicles charging framework.
In Amritsar, the public bus is the best option for traveling throughout the city, as it is available through all the routes. However, it is very safe, affordable, and comfortable for anyone traveling for short and long distances.
Tram, Train and Subway
In the city of Amritsar, you really don’t have the team facility, but you have trained to reach your destination. Rail is an excellent option for you to travel within the city. In comparison, the trains can shuttle you to travel to small towns and cities.
India, as a nation, has a marketplace that has been sustainable environmentally for centuries. Largely nation has robust, sustainable shopping industries, and coincidently, most of these industries are associated with local businesses and not global.
As the rising population influence of foreign manufacturing firms led to some unsustainable methods of manufacturing. So therefore, helping the customer not just shop sustainably but also help local businesses to grow.
These food markets have a good supply chain, well-stocked, and very reasonable. There were some weekly markets and daily markets to visit and buy foods and other required kinds of stuff daily. Few of them are as follows:
- Chawla fruit shop
- Brahm Nagar market
- Old fish market
As Indian tradition, there are many handicraft stores and open stores where people can find a variety of things to buy. People also bargain to get things at a reasonable price. Here are some of the flea markets that are as follows.
- Hall bazaar
- Guru bazaar
- Alpha one mall
- Lawrence road
- Kapda bazaar
Second Hand Stores
The second-hand stores specifically sell books, hardware, electronics, furniture, etc. The people get these things at half-price, which is more affordable for them. So there are some good stores if you wish to visit.
Earlier, India belonged to a developing country, so India's people started their homemade artistry such as drawing, paintings, making handicrafts, ornaments, handmade sculptures, handmade clay articles, etc. It is one of the small businesses for people to earn. So there is a huge collection of such small articles which become an attraction for tourists nowadays. Also, there are different types of clothing famous here.
As mentioned above, this city is spread widely. The city generates tons of plastic waste every year, consisting of thin plastic bags, bottles, and plenty of recyclable waste made up of glass, aluminum, and other waste materials. Also, the Indian Government is ensuring nowadays that the companies selling their product in such a packing should self-responsible for recycling their products and recycle them. Municipal Corporation has an eye on recycling the waste which is provided by the city. The waste is separated into two categories that are a useful waste as well as harmful waste. Useful waste is recycled and trying to reuse it. On the other hand, harmful waste is either destroyed or dumped in the dumping yard, situated far away from the city.
As the city is crowded with a dense population, a huge amount of waste is generated daily. India might not have the best facilities for the waste disposal system. But the Government is running a lot of awareness campaigns to educate people. The complete waste which is generated by the city is collected and dumped into a separate area.
Work and Study Abroad
Amritsar is one of the famous cities in India. So it is home to some most reputed and prestigious institutes. The start-up score in the city is astronomical, despite scoring low on ease of some business indexes. Hence, collectively the opportunities attract scores of foreigners to work or learn.
Amritsar is not the most popular destination for exchange students due to the lack of too many universities. It is also not the first choice of most of the students.
Au pair as a concept in India isn’t too popular. In fact, most people have not even heard about it. Maybe if you reach out to the local, they will be able to help.
Amritsar is quite a famous city, so volunteering is very popular here. There are many local as well as government volunteering organizations, charitable trusts, and NGO’s. They do a lot of work towards national development. You can expect various NGOs and welfare organizations doing their bit to improve situations on various fronts in this nation of great diversity and imbalance; you can volunteer for pretty much anything, though we’d recommend you to pick an organization which is legitimate and deals with a field in which you have considerable experience.