Eco-friendly travel guide to Artvin advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Artvin, Turkey.
- Air quality: 4 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.8 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.9 / 5
- Public transportation: 4 / 5
- Parks: 4 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.8 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US1000 - $1100
- Budget per day: US$600 - $700
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Geographically located on a hill overlooking the Coruh River near the Deriner Dam, Artvin is a city in north-eastern Turkey about 30 km inland from the Black Sea. Artvin is an attractive area of steep valleys carved by the Coruh River system, surrounded by high mountains of Kachar, Karcal, and Yalnizcam, and forest with much national parkland including the Karagol-Sahara, which contains the Savsat and Borcka lakes. The area has a rich history but has not been studied extensively by archaeologists in recent decades and is said to be part of the kingdom of Colchis and part of Greater Armenia. It is a former bishopric and Armenian Catholic titular see and the home of Artvin Coruh University. In addition to the vast majority of ethnic Turks, the province is home to communities of Laz people and Hemshin people. There are a number of Ottoman Empire houses and public buildings situated in the city. Artvin’s twin cities include Akhaltsikhe, Georgia; Casablanca, Morocco; Batumi, Georgia; and Oslo, Norway. With a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, the city is a great place to spend a relaxing vacation.
- Being an eco-friendly tourist, you should opt to stay in the green hotels that are available across the city. Its positive role to use recyclable goods helps to reduce the waste and maintain the pollution level to a limit.
- The street foods found in Artvin are very popular among tourists. Therefore, you must try the meals from the city’s local restaurants to taste the flavors of the city.
- As an eco-friendly tourist, you should follow some of the positive steps to effectively contribute your role to the environment of the city, in addition to providing support to the locals.
- Using local transport to explore the city will provide support to the transportation system in the city. Therefore, rented cars and taxis are some of the best options.
- Go for the hotels that do not cause harm to the environment, during your stay in Brasilia. It will help you to conduct your tourist duty, at the time will make the city to remain pollution-free.
- Make sure you wisely use the resources available across the city. This will help to preserve the resources for the locals so they can use them in the future.
- There are various national parks in the city that you can visit during your exploration in the city. This will help you to admire the charm of the beauty of nature in a lively atmosphere.
- Try to stop by the local markets for food and be housed to contribute to the economy of the country. It is one of the most suitable ways to fulfill your duty as a tourist.
Air Quality and Pollution
The air quality in Artvin is moderately safe. This means that the air quality is generally acceptable for most individuals. However, sensitive groups may experience minor to moderate symptoms from long-term exposure. Some important steps are been taken to emit harmful gases. This involves the elimination of the various machines extensively used in the city from which the hazardous gases come out. These gases are not only harmful to humans but also affect the flora and fauna of the city.
The government is effectively working on the procedure to fulfill the target of controlling the pollution rate in the city. Thus, various actions have been taken to decrease the amount of usage of such devices that causes more pollution. These are assisting to keep the air quality level at a proper rate so that the city air remains pollution-free.
Besides, these authorities have also asked the public to use gadgets that are low fuel-based. Also, the same is has been considered for the public transports. With continued work of handling and controlling the pollution level, the city has managed to reduce pollution to a certain level and provide a better city life to the people
Respect the Culture
Artvin has a rich history of culture and heritage. There are several museums in and around the city that displays the past history of the country. This portrays the way of living of the locals of the town. Artvin is known for the Caucasus Culture and Arts Festival, a celebration that takes place at the Kafkasor plateau every year. The most famous event is bull wrestling which draws many local and international visitors. Besides, the culture of the country combines a heavily diverse and heterogeneous set of elements that have been derived from the various cultures of Western Asia, Eastern Mediterranean, Middle East, Central Asia, along with Eastern European and Caucasian traditions.
Turkish literature is the collection of written and oral texts composed in the Turkish language. Further, Turkish architecture was influenced by Ottoman Architecture. The traditional Turkish national sport has been the Yagli gures (Oiled Wrestling) since Ottoman times. The annual international Yagli gures (oiled wrestling) tournament, which is held in Kirkpinar near Edirne is the oldest continuously running, sanctioned sporting competition in the world.
In addition, football is the most popular sport in Turkey. Other mainstream sports such as basketball and volleyball are also popular. The tradition of folklore such as folktales, jokes, and legends in the Turkish language is very rich and is incorporated into everyday life and events.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Artvin is one of the best cities that can be considered for spending vacations. It holds several sites of attractions that are admired by the people who visit the place. It is because some beautiful spots have a fascinating attractive view for your holiday trip. So, continue to read to check some of the interesting names that are worth visiting, during your tour to the city.
- Kackar Mountains – Formerly known as the Lazistan Mountains, this is a mountain range that rises above the Black Sea coast in north-eastern Turkey. With the highest peak, Kackar Dag, and mountain plateaus, this range is the highest part of the Pontic Mountains. Further, the Kackars are glaciated mountains that are alpine in character, with steep rocky peaks and numerous mountain lakes.
- Papart Vadisi – This is a valley with a natural area located within the boundaries of the Karcal Mountains Key Biodiversity Area. The area attracts attention with its ecosystem diversity, high endemism rate, and rich wildlife that occur with a sudden change in altitude. It is famous for its many wild flora and fauna including many species of birds.
- Karagol – Located high in the mountains of Borcka, this is a black lake. It is a beautiful convergence of deep green forests, mountains, wildflowers, and the serene Karagol Lake.
- Ataturk Heykeli – Located in Atatepe, this sculpture is the largest Atatürk statue in the world. This statue is 22 meters long and weighs 50 tons. It was built by the Sitki Kahvecioglu Foundation. The statue is located in the Atatepe complex, which is visited by thousands of people every year and has become the most visited place in Artvin.
- Macahel – Also known as Machakheli, this valley is in the Borcka district of Artvin Province and is surrounded by Karcal Mountains. The Turkish part of the valley is known as Upper Machakheli. It has six villages, which have both official Turkish and unofficial Georgian names. The territory is known for its endemic trout.
- Artvin Kalesi – It is built on the bedrock that rises on the opposite side of the Artvin Bridge on the Coruh River. The entrance to the castle is about 3 km from the city center. The castle has two entrances. Among these, the most important entrances are located in the southwest corner and it was planned in two stages. The castle preserves its importance as a unique work from the middle ages.
- Dolishane Church – This is a Georgian medieval Orthodox monastery in the historical Medieval Georgian Kingdom of Klarjeti. This beautiful church from the 10th century has managed to survive the passage of time and inside there are the remains of some reliefs including one of its founder, King Sumbat II.
- Gevhernik Kalesi – This castle lies on a rock above the town of Ardanuc in the province of Artvin in Turkey. It is locally known as Gevhernik Kale or Ardanuc Kalesi. At present, Gevhernik Castle is freely accessible through a set of wooden and iron stairs on the north side of the castle rock.
- Porta Manastiri – This monastery is located in the Baglik hamlet of Pirnalli Village in the city center of Artvin. It was built on a ridge descending from north to south and consists of a church, chapel, fountain, and bell tower. Some houses belong to the hamlet around the monastery. Further, this monastery is a good example reflecting the medieval settlement order.
- Barhal Kilisesi – This church has three naves and a basilical plan and is located in the remote village of Barhal. The Barhal or Parkhali monastery is quite striking because of its well-preserved state. The facades covered with grey, smooth-cut stones are enlivened by curved arches that are equal in size in the south and north and open from the middle to the sides in the east and west.
You will come across many tourist attraction places in Artvin that are famous amongst the tourists. Make sure to include these tourist attraction places in your holiday list.
There is no such city park in Artvin. But there are various other sights that can be a good one to explore. These include the natural sights of Karagol, Maral Waterfall, and others.
- Hatila Valley National Park – Located in Artvin Province in north-eastern Turkey, this national park consists of a steep-sided river valley at the eastern end of the Kackar Mountains. The valley provides habitats for a diverse community of plants and animals. The forests on the mountain slopes in the park consist of both deciduous and evergreen tree species. These include sessile oak, oriental beech, sweet chestnut, common hornbeam, oriental hornbeam, Scots pine, black alder, and many more. Besides, the natural forest of Hatila Valley National Park and the surrounding area is rich in wildlife. Large mammals such as grey wolf, leopard, red fox, wild goat, lynx, wild boar, brown bear, chamois, roe deer, and European hare are found here. Many birds like the long-legged buzzard, golden eagle, Caspian snowcock, chukar partridge, peregrine falcon, Caucasian grouse, and grey partridge can be seen here.
- Karagol-Sahara National Park – This national park is in the Savsat district of Artvin Province, Turkey. It is located in the Black Sea Region and is formed by two separate areas, namely Karagol and Sahara plateau. Karagol is located at a distance of 45 km from Savsat, while the Sahara plateau is at a distance of 17 km from the town.
- Sarpi Beach – Sarpi is a Georgian village on the Black sea in south-western Georgia right on the border with Turkey. This pebble beach with clear water is a must-visit. From Turkey, you can easily reach the beach by buses that run between Istanbul and Batumi or Tbilisi. Besides, you can enjoy the food and drinks served in the locality.
- Kobuleti Beach – Kobuleti is a town in Adjara, western Georgia, situated on the eastern coast of the Black Sea. It is the seat of Kobuleti Municipality and a seaside resort, visited annually by Georgians and many former Soviet Union residents. The unique sandy beach widely inclined to the sea is noted with its marvelous views beautified by sky-scraped endemic pine trees, eucalyptus, bamboo, cypress grove, date, and cocoa palms.
- Cifte Bridge – This is the name for two small adjacent historic bridges in Artvin Province, north-eastern Turkey. The bridges are located perpendicular to each other. Both are identical single-arch moon bridges. Due to their architectural structure and limited width, the bridges are in use for pedestrians only.
- Ishan Church – This is an abandoned Christian monastery in the area of the current Turkish province of Artvin. It was one of the important spiritual centers in the medieval Tajk. The church's floor plan consisted of four conches, a central dome, and four apses arranged in a star shape. The arches of the entrance and windows are decorated with geometric, floral, and figural motives. Animals and legendary creatures are depicted within geometric patterns.
- Dikyamac Museum – It is an ethnography museum in Artvin Province, north-eastern Turkey. The museum was founded in the village of Dikyamaç, known formerly as Kamparna, in Arhavi ilce (district) of Artvin Province. Besides, the private museum was unique in Artvin Province as being the only museum of the province. The exhibited items include former and current house tools and clothes.
Artvin is a part of Turkey, therefore the city serves Turkish cuisine which is quite popular around the world. This cuisine is largely the heritage of Ottoman cuisine, which can be described as a fusion and refinement of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Balkan, Eastern European, Central Asian, and Armenian cuisines. The Ottomans fused various culinary traditions of their realm with influences from Levantine cuisines, Egyptian cuisine, Greek cuisine, Balkan cuisine, along with traditional Turkic elements from Central Asia to create a vast array of specialties. The cuisine of the Black Sea Region uses fish extensively, especially the Black Sea anchovy, and includes maize dishes. The traditional food of Artvin is called silor.
The cuisine of the southeast including Adana, Gaziantep, Urfa, and Adiyaman, is famous for its variety of kebabs, mezes, and dough-based desserts such as baklava, şobiyet, kadayif, and kanafeh. In the western parts of Turkey, where olive trees are grown abundantly, olive oil is the major type of oil used for cooking.
The cuisines of the Mediterranean regions, Aegean, and Marmara are rich in vegetables, herbs, and fish. Central Anatolia has many famous specialties, such as keskek, manti, especially from Kayseri, and gozleme. Food names directly cognate with manti are also found in Chinese (mantou or steamed bun) and Korean cuisine (mandu). In fact, the origin of Turkish manti comes from Chinese mantou.
Traditional Local Restaurants
- Ersin Dede – Located in the Ardanuc Meydani Ardanuc, this restaurant is known to serve great Turkish food. This restaurant is run as a family. It is the line for entering the beach in Alacati. The menu served here is famous for its quality and delicious taste. The ambiance is amazing and the staffs are friendly. You can visit this place with your family too and enjoy a great meal at an affordable price.
- Aspirin Pide and Kebab Restaurant – This restaurant is located in Dumlupinar Cad., in the Hopa Market. This place is quite popular among the tourists as it offers amazing food options that include authentic Turkish cuisines. Therefore, the place remains crowded. With a decent ambiance and calm atmosphere, this place is one of the best spots to enjoy delicacies at a reasonable price. The staffs are attentive and perform their job very well.
Vegetarian and Vegan
- Crystal Pita – This vegan restaurant is situated in Central Kuledibi Neighborhood Central mosque square. It is an amazing place to spend your quality time along with enjoying some truly flavorful dishes including the Diner, Seafood, Contemporary, Caucasian, and Georgian menu options. Its nice atmosphere and good service attract many populations to visit this place. You can opt to grab eateries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Besides, many prefer to visit this place after-hours to enjoy drinks, served here.
- Meroli – This vegetarian-friendly restaurant is located in Aralik Koyu Borcka. This restaurant offered us very tasty varieties of the region. They have traditional Turkish food. You will get to enjoy the beautiful landscape. With lip-smacking and great food quality is good and full of flavors. The staffs are good and cooperative. The price is reasonable too.
Street food of Artvin is quite popular among the locals and hence many visitors also love to taste them. A typical Turkish breakfast consists of cheese like beyaz peynir, kasar, etc., butter, olives, eggs, muhammara, tomatoes, cucumbers, jam, honey, and kaymak, sucuk, which is a spicy Turkish food similar to sausages, pastirma, borek, simit, pogaca, fried dough is known as pisi. Besides, soups are eaten as a morning meal in the country. A specialty for breakfast is called menemen, which is prepared with tomatoes, green peppers, onion, olive oil, and eggs. The menu can also include kuymak depending on the province the dish is also known as muhlama, mihlama, and yaglas. Further, the world-famous Turkish tea is also served as a part of breakfast. Therefore all these dishes are widely available across the city.
Many major foreign fast-food chains have opened all over Turkey. Also, Turkish people rely primarily on the rich and extensive dishes of Turkish cuisine. Besides, some traditional Turkish foods, especially kofte, doner, kokorec, kumpir, midye tava, borek, and gozleme, are often served as fast food in the country. During the hot Turkish summer, the city serves a meal, which consists of fried vegetables such as eggplant and peppers or potatoes served with yogurt or tomato sauce.
Menemen and cilbir are typical summer dishes that are based on eggs. Sheep cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, watermelons, and melons also make a light summer meal. Those who like helva for dessert can prefer summer helva, which is lighter and less sweet than the regular one. Other street foods include Dondurma, iced almonds buzlu badem, fried mussels, stuffed mussels midye, fresh walnuts taze cevizkokorec, fish bread balik ekmek, sucuk ekmek, kofte ekmek, kumpir (a baked potato served with kasar cheese and many other toppings), lokma, roasted corn kozde misir, roasted chesnuts kestane, simit, and Macun.
Alcoholic beverages are as widely available as anywhere. Raki is the most popular alcoholic drink in the country. There are a few local brands of lager that are extensively available across the country. These include Bomonti, Marmara34, and Efes Pilsen. A variety of local wines such as Sevilen, Kavaklidere, Doluca, Corvus, Kayra, Pamukkale and Diren are produced by Turkish brands. Further, other various wine options are greatly available in the city as well as in the country. Besides getting a great variety of red wines, visitors can find different homemade wines in some regions of the country. Apart from serving a variety of alcoholic drinks, the country is also known for its famous non-alcoholic drinks and beverages. Black tea, popularly known as cay is very common among the Turkish people.
Tea is made with two teapots in Turkey. Strong bitter tea made in the upper pot is diluted by adding boiling water from the lower. Besides, Turkish coffee, commonly known as kahve is usually served after meals or with dessert.
Ayran is a yogurt drink, which is the most common cold beverage that may accompany almost all dishes in Turkey. It is a mix of yogurt and water (similar to lassi). It may be served with salt, according to taste. Salgam suyu is a mild or spicy fermented red carrot juice that is usually combined with kebabs or served together with raki.
Boza is a traditional winter drink, which is also known as millet wine. It is served cold with cinnamon and sometimes with leblebi. Sahlep is another non-alcoholic drink available in winter. It is served hot with cinnamon. Sahlep is extracted from the roots of wild orchids and is often used in Turkish ice cream as well.
Limonata, basically lemonade is very popular in the country. It is traditionally served with baklava and other sweets. Sometimes lemonade is served with strawberry flavor and is called cilekli limonata. Sherbet is another popular drink served in the city. It is a syrup that can be made from any of a wide variety of ingredients, especially fruits, flowers, or herbs. Sherbet is drunk diluted with cold water.
The tap in the city is not safe for drinking. The tap is mainly used safe for cleaning purposes but is not recommended for drinking. In some smaller cities, tap water may be clean enough to drink, but generally, in big cities, the quality of ta water is not good. Therefore, you are suggested to use the bottled or mineral water. Besides, you can opt to drink water from the taps of famous hotels and restaurants, as they might use a filtration system to keep the tap water lean. But make sure to ask the hotel staff before doing so.
- AtaparkHopa – Located in Sahil Caddesi Hopa Iskele Yani, Hopa, this café is one of the best-known cafes in the city. With the garden decoration and the attention of the staff, this place serves amazing coffee. They also offer food options that one can select for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Many visitors have marked this place as a must-visit one and had recommended trying some of its delicious foods like Bristobeef and laz pastry. The price is affordable too.
- Karsl Café – This café is located in Sahil Caddesi, Hopa iskelesi yani. It is known for serving great coffee along with fast food and European dishes. The ambiance is quite pleasant with decent décor and the staff are welcoming. It is a perfect place to spend some great time and relax oneself from the crowd of the busy streets. Many locals also prefer to visit this café to spend a calm evening with a sip of coffee. The prices are reasonable.
There are several breweries all over the country that are known for producing a small selection of international beers. This includes Tuborg, Carlsberg, Miller, Skol, and Beck's. In the present day, the country is popular for serving craft beers as well. Gara Guzu, Feliz Kulpa, Pablo, and Graf are some of the Turkish craft beer brands that are easily available in the city.
The activities offered by the countries is said to be one of the most common reasons for traveling to different countries. Therefore, many tourists count for different activities in a country in which they can take part and gain a new experience. Besides offering numerous places for tourist attractions, Artvin also assists with various destinations that are preferred for different types of activities. The mountains of Kackar provide one of the best trekking routes in the country, through the alpine pastures and evergreen forests. The valley of Papart is considered to be a great place for hiking for nature lovers as they get the chance to admire the amazing view.
The beautiful mountain range of Artvin is another place that offers many opportunities to trek through the impressive landscape all the way to the border with Georgia. The city also serves a ski center named the Atabari Ski Center. It is one of the best places in Artvin where one can really enjoy the thick snow that covers the valleys. Barhal Cayi is a great place for canoeing enthusiasts, where they get the wonderful chance to see the surrounding valleys and mountains by floating through a natural waterway.
The visitors can also opt to experience the sight of one of the most famous waterfalls of the city, known as Mencuna Selalesi. This waterfall is around 100 meters in height and is surrounded by a beautiful forest that is accessible by a natural wooden bridge. Hence, it will be a great adventure to visit this place.
Yoga and Retreats
There is a number of yoga retreats in Artvin that can aid you to regain your energy and in a peaceful mind. As it is important to take care of your body and skin, even if you are traveling, you can consider taking part in the yoga sessions held in different yoga centers in the city. This will assist you to keep your mind and body relaxed. As you are constantly moving while exploring the city, you feel exhausted. Doing yoga can also help you to feel more calm and energetic. In addition to some other healing retreats, these centers also provide meditation options as a bonus to get a peaceful mind. Further, you can opt for these yoga retreats for medicinal treatments as well. Therefore, make sure to select the best yoga center for your sessions depending on your preference through online services.
Getting a comfortable and complete rest is all you want when you are on a vacation. As the city experiences numerous visitors, the lodging facility of the city is well-maintained to provide various services. Therefore, you will get many lodging options in the city starting from high to low costing. Mainly, all the accommodation options provide facilities like free internet access, parking area, shuttle (if any), along with the basic facilities. The options of accommodation that are offered by the city include green hotels, apartments, hostels, and guest houses. So, you can select from the various options of accommodation depending on your budget, staying duration, and others.
Green hotels are widely available in the city. They use eco-friendly methods and recyclable items to keep the city clean from waste. These hotels are much like the average hotels. Hence, they have become very popular in the last few years. So, many tourists choose to stay in these hotels for their best-staying experience. Also, make sure to know the name of green hotels before visiting the country as it will help you to reach the destination easily. Don’t forget to play your part while staying in these hotels to keep them clean and pollution-free. Some of the well-known green hotels one can opt for are:
- Koliva Otel
- Villa Da Butik Hotel
- Agara Otel
- Lapera Pansiyon
- Sadikoglu Otel
Hostels and Guest Houses
Opting for hostels and guesthouses is a good option for those who are planning to stay in the city for few weeks. Though there are some expensive guest houses and hostels available in Honduras, most of them are low-priced and pocket-friendly. You will get almost all the basic benefits along with some extra benefits from them. It helps to save a lot of money and at the same time provides a comfortable rest for the customers. Booking in advance is highly recommended if you are planning to stay in hostels and guest houses. Here is a list of some of the popular guesthouses and hostels available in the city.
- Bageni Pension and Bageni Safari Bunglov
- Meroli Home Pension and Local Tastes
- Lamazi Pension
- Pinar Kir Evi
- Satiroglu Konagi
- Parpali Apartment
Staying in other accommodation options for months can be very expensive. Hence, you can opt to stay in the apartments that are widely available in the city. This helps you to save a lot of money in the long stays. There are many cheap to expensive apartments available in different ranges which provides some premium features to the tourists. During your stay in these rental apartments, you will get to acquire various knowledge starting from learning the local languages to know about the lifestyle of the locals. Some of the well-maintained apartments you can opt for your stay includes:
- Lombane Apart
- Yesil Doga Holiday Apart
- Zisto Apart Otel
- Cimen Apart
- Mutluev Apart
- Nani Villa Apart
This method of lodging is highly practiced in Artvin and for tourists who want to spend less on accommodation, this is the best choice. The locals help the outsiders with the facility of food and shelter during the visit to their hometown. Further, this method of lodging helps to know the culture of the city and save money. As it takes a lot of time to find someone as a host and discuss the stay and other things with them, make sure to look for it from a very early time. It is completely safe and a very good option for your stay in the country as long as you want. Besides, opting for this method of staying in the city will help you to enjoy a lot by providing some benefits such as scouting the unknown places in the city. You will also get the opportunity to observe the lifestyle of the locals more keenly and get to know about the traditions, taste the local dishes, learn the local language, and many more.
Artvin has a lot of camping spots in different corners of the cities. Being one of the best ways to admire the open sky and enjoy the mesmerizing views of mountains, forests, and lakes, these camping grounds provides accommodation facilities with basic amenities. Therefore, tourists from all around the globe book these camping spots to experience a unique stay in the city. Some of the popular camping grounds of the city are Macahel Bay House, Seyri Macahel Hotel Restaurant, Dergz Holiday Bay & Spa, and more. They are available at affordable prices and provide very eye-catching and amazing views that tourists look for.
How to Get There
The transportation facility of Artvin is highly maintained and interlinked with various routes. The facilities of airways are extensively used to get in the city. Besides, you can opt to travel by car, if you are coming from nearby locations within the country.
Traveling through airways is the most convenient way to get in the city. It is the fastest mean of transportation and assists in saving time. The closest airport is Batumi Airport in Georgia. Inside Turkey, the closest airports to Artvin are in Erzurum, Kars, and Trabzon. Also, there are busses from Trabzon Airport. Regarding the prices of the tickets, it can vary depending on the airline you are boarding on. Hence, you are free to compare and select according to your preferences.
Artvin’s otogar (bus station) is at the bottom of the valley at a distance of 5 km from the town center, beside the D010 highway near where the Erzurum and Ardahan roads separate on the southeast edge of town. Dolmuses (minibusses) run to/from Inonu Caddesi up in the town center.
Traveling by train makes you reach the destination on time as there is no chance of getting delayed because there is no traffic on the railways. The city is connected with some railway routes that link different locations to and from Artvin.
As Artvin is well connected to other nearby cities by road, you will easily be able to hitchhike your way through the city. This method of traveling is beneficial for those who want to spend less money on transportation. It is a method that involves taking a lift on the way from the people who are heading toward the same location as yours (both in and around the city). Further, this means of traveling helps you to gain some of the best experiences on your way as there are plenty of views to admire along the way. Also, you will get to share words with the locals that will assist you in better exploration of the city.
Another way to get to the city is by car. If you are traveling from nearby cities, then you can opt to choose the Sarpi border pass can be used to reach Artvin from Georgia. After following the coast until Hopa, the road to the south passes through Borcka to reach the city.
Being a tourist, you should always opt to go with the transportation options that will help you to spend less money and get the chance to explore more. You can opt for transport services like bicycles, cars, motorcycles, etc. As the city provides various options to get around the city to scout different spots in the city, these traveling modes will be a good one to explore the city. Besides, getting an idea about the different types of transportation will help you get familiar with transport services available in Artvin.
This mode of scouting the city will help you to explore the interior of the city and is also an eco-friendly way of touring. Walking is not only the best way of traveling around the city streets and lanes, but you will also get the chance to meet the locals as you come across the localities while shopping through the paths of the market. In addition, it will also help you to understand the culture of the city.
Bikes or bicycles can be considered as the most effective ways to explore the lanes and streets of the interior of the city. They are comparatively cheap and fast modes of traveling as compared to walking. You can prefer to ride bicycles for fun purposes as well.
The country provides the facility of electric cars, but there is no such specific use of this in the city of Artvin. But the country is working effectively to introduce electric vehicles in the city as well in other regions of the country. They are also planning to install charging stations at different junctions in and around the city. Doing this will help people to smoothly run and charge their electric vehicles in the future.
The city offers bus rentals and passenger transport services. They provide comfortable and secure travel transportation services. You will also the facility of buses that provides services to the tourists by assisting them to scout in popular tourist spots in the city. From the city center, there are minibusses and taxis to various locations in the region.
Tram, Train and Subway
There is such facility of trams, trains, or subways in the city. But you will the service of these transportation modes in other nearby locations that can assist you to reach the nearest location that links the city of Artvin.
Purchasing items from the small shops will support them a lot, as most of them are dependent on tourism. From clothes to accessories, you will find various types of items while exploring these markets. Instead of casual shopping, people around the world are now opting for sustainable shopping that helps to shop lovely things at low costs. Therefore, there are many shops and stores in the city where you can get sustainable clothes.
The city holds various food markets that serve fresh to the locals as well as the tourists. Therefore, you can prefer to visit this market to experience the variety of food available in the city. With numerous shops, stalls, and stores, this market serves a great variety of options including fruit, fish, meats, and many more.
The flea market held in the city is known to a great part of the world’s best flea markets. The historical items found here reflect the handicrafts of the city and the country as a whole. These markets are known to serve some fantastic antique stores and antique markets that are growing in the city year after year. They also give collectors plenty to choose from.
Second Hand Stores
The city of Artvin has some thrift stores that are known for offering a big collection of used books, souvenirs such as handicrafts, paintings, and many more. Hence, as an eco-friendly tourist, you should visit these markets to supports the locals of the city. These stores are often run for charitable support for the city locals.
These clothes are manufactured under the label of eco-fashion and are made using raw materials that are obtained from organic plants and natural dyes. They positively affect the environment and help to maintain an eco-friendly atmosphere. Therefore, these clothes are very much in demand and are offered by some of the stores and shops located in the city. Eco-fashion offers a wide range of sustainable, organic, fair trade, vegan and recycled apparel.
Artvin is effectively working on the recycling process to minimize the by-products. As it has been acknowledged as having the best management practices in the country, the government is planning to increase the recycling product percentage to bring change in the city. Many local people here, contributed to the gathering of the wastes that are found in different regions of the city. The wastes are separated into recyclable and non-recyclable ones, then they are further sent for monitoring. Recycled products are used in different production industries to ensure the betterment of the atmosphere.
The collection of waste helps to keep the city clean and free from impurities. Therefore, the city is working on gathering waste products on a daily basis. These waste materials are either used for landfills or are emptied in one of several operational recycling facilities in the system. Besides, these facilities are managed by cooperatives, which effectively assist in the waste management program.
Work and Study Abroad
Benefits like exchange students are available in the city that helps the students to study at a low cost. Therefore, the city offers attractive courses to foreign students. The colleges and universities of the city provide an exchange student program for foreign as well as local students. In addition, the city also provides work opportunities to the people who are willing to build their future in Artvin.
The education facility in Turkey is far better in comparison to many other countries. Most of the reputed universities have partnerships with other universities in different countries and cities across the world. The exchange student program offered by different cities provides the best facility to the students. One can study at foreign universities only with the college fee. During your tour of the city, you will get to see a lot of foreigners from different countries who are staying in the city either to complete their education. Further, this program also helps to boost the extra skills such as learning about new culture and language.
The city offers a great opportunity for au pair to survive in the city. The benefit of this facility is that it provides you the convenience to be able to get shelter, food, and even some pocket money. Most of the people take the help of this facility in the early stage of their settling down in the country. All you need to do is work for the host family. Hence it is a useful facility, which has become popular around the world.
As an eco-friendly tourist, you can volunteer for different works that are offered by the city. Various programs like teaching, animal caring, organizing foods for the poor, etc. are held that contribute towards the noble cause. This will also help you to gain a lot of knowledge about the local people, their culture, their traditions, and many such other things. Also, volunteering is known to be one of the best ways to give your contribution to the country and make it a safer and cleaner place.