Eco-friendly travel guide to Birmingham advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Birmingham, England, United Kingdom.
- Air quality: 4.8/ 5
- Exploring by foot: 4.2 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle:4.4 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.8 / 5
- Parks: 3.4 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.7 / 5
- Locals' English level: 4.6/ 5
- Safety: 4.2/ 5
- Accommodation: US$45 - $107
- Budget per day: US$86 - $220
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Birmingham is among the largest cities in the metropolitan area in England, placing it at number two. It holds more than 9 million residents. It is located in the west midlands county, approximately 176 kilometers from central London. It is considered to be the cultural, financial, social, and commercial center of both the west and east midlands. The city enjoys a good international reputation in many sectors, including art, higher education facilities, music, transport, and retail. Birmingham attracts many visitors in a year, making it the fourth-most visited city in the UK by foreign visitors. The residents here are very welcoming and ready to share their cultural believes and practices. When visiting Birmingham, you have to make sure that you're being a responsible traveller and taking decisions that are eco friendly. Some of these include:
- Choosing the right transport method: A major part of your travel experience is discovering every nook and cranny of the city. While you will have transport options like private cars and taxis at your disposal you need to know that not only do they contribute to more congestion and traffic pollution but also emit harmful gases into the environment. So, choose options like walking, cycling, electronic and public transportation in general.
- Trying local food: A huge part of the local culture is the traditional food that is offered at the local traditional restaurants and by street food vendors. Instead of just sticking to international fast food franchises that contribute to so much waste being produced in the world, you should try the local options. Not only will it help the local economy but also will directly help the families whose sole source of earning are these small food businesses.
- Do not throw waste: As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to promote green as much as possible in the city to motivate not only fellow tourists but local people. When you visit any tourists attractions especially city parks, make sure you do not throw any food wrapper and do not just stop at that but if you see any trash, pick it up and throw it in the dustbin. It might look like a very small thing to do but has a huge impact on people watching especially the children present in the park since they learn and mimic the behaviour of other people around them.
- Choose a green hotel: Plenty of accommodations are available in the city that provide you with a top-notch experience but instead of choosing them, you can pick green hotels for your stay. They use eco-friendly measures to reduce the pollution and waste of the city. This is one of the great ways to contribute towards to city to keep it safe and clean.
- Shop local: In order to support local craftsmen and artisans always shop local. During your trip to the city, you will come across small shops and food stalls in almost every lane of the city. If you want to have an unforgettable experience in the city, then buy goods and foods from these shops. This will not only help you to save a lot of money but you will be supporting a lot of local people who are dependent on their small businesses to earn a livelihood.
Air Quality and Pollution
Birmingham City has been designated an air quality management area under an environment act 1995, which gives them a duty to monitor and report on nitrogen dioxide and Sulphur dioxide levels. The city government is working hard to control air pollution. According to the World health organization(WHO), the average AQI of Birmingham is 20. This shows that the Air quality is safe and you can open your windows to let the fresh air in and roam around freely without a mask. However, if you are particularly sensitive and have asthma related issues, do carry your allergy medicine and your inhaler with you.
Respect the Culture
Most people refer to Birmingham as a multicultural city. The culture here is characterized by a deep-seated tradition of experimentation and individualism. Their innovative culture has been widely remarked upon by commentators. This multiculturalism is what makes this city a great place to visit. While in Birmingham, you can visit museums, temples, conservatories, and theaters. Various cultural activities also take place here, including unique drama, world-class art, dance, musical flair, and performing arts. The culture here attracts most visitors compare to the surrounding cities in this region.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Cadbury World: This is one of the major visitor attractions in Birmingham, England. It features a self-guided exhibition tour and is run by the Cadbury company. The exhibition focuses on the history of chocolate and Cadbury business. Inside, you can see the processes followed to make chocolate and probably get a cup of chocolate for free. The outside area is also great for kids to play.
National SEA LIFE Centre Birmingham: This is an aquarium with more than 60 displays of freshwater and marine life. The place is located in Brindley Place, Birmingham, England, with an ocean tank of one million water liters. Here you can see the giant sea turtles, sharks, and tropical reef fish with the only available fully transparent 360-degree underwater tunnel In the united kingdom. The animal enclosures are huge and have plenty of other animals.
Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery: This museum holds international importance covering natural history, ceramics, archaeology, jewelry, ethnography, and fine art. the museum is run by Birmingham Museum trust, which is the largest in the united kingdom. Entrance to the art gallery and museum is free. Still, other significant exhibitions in the gas hall incur an affordable entry fee. It contains a fabulous collection of art from ancient to modern.
Black Country Living Museum: This is an open-air museum of rebuilt historic buildings. The museum is located in Dudley, west midlands, England, in the black country center. The museum covers 105,000 square meters and opened in 1978, and since it has been an attraction site for many visitors and locals. The museum continues to get better due to the addition of more buildings and exhibits. This place got very interesting and nicely presented exhibition areas.
High Street: This is the focal point for business and shopping in the united kingdom. The high street is a street name for a settlement's primary business street most common in the united kingdom and nations' commonwealth. According to the 2009 statistics, there was a total of 5,410 high streets.
Thinktank Science Museum: This is a science museum in Birmingham, England. It is also part of Birmingham museums trust and is located in the millennium point complex on Curzon Street, Digbeth. It is a fully interactive museum ideal for both kids and adults. The place also has a spacious play area for younger kids.
The Birmingham Botanical Gardens: This botanical garden is a 15-acre garden situated in Edgbaston, Birmingham, England. The site is notable for its wide range of glasshouses and gardens, which display a variety of birds and plants. It is managed by Birmingham's botanical and horticultural society, which is a registered charity. The greens are opened daily to the public with paid admission. The place also got a small park area for kids to play.
National Trust - Birmingham Back to Backs: These are the city's last surviving court of back to back houses. They are a sort of British terraced housing. This type of accommodation was later deemed unsatisfactory, and the public health act of 1875 made sure no more were built.
Dudley Zoo and Castle: It is a 40-acre zoo located within the grounds of Dudley Castle in Dudley town. Dudley Zoo was opened to the public in 1937 and contained 12 modernist animal enclosures. The zoo is operated and managed by west midlands and Dudley zoological society, a registered charity. The gardens also come up with multiple events a year.
Birmingham is a city with many exciting historical and cultural sites to visit and have fun. There is a wide range of parks, museums and dining places to spend your weekends and holidays. Some of the few exciting places you can explore.
Eastside City Park: It is more than a 5acre park located in the east side district of Birmingham city. It is also the right area for photography during sunrise and sunset. Many people even opt to walk around or sit down and relax.
Birmingham City Council Parks: The place got beautiful displays that make the area look beautiful. It is an excellent place for a family trip. There is also a perfect ground for small kids to play.
Sunset Park: This place is located in the city center hence very populated during weekends and holidays. The site is well designed and several modern flats. It is a lovely place to relax, walk or skate. Many other people come here for bonfire nights.
Coleshill Memorial Park: The park is located in Coleshill, Birmingham. It is a great place ideal for all ages. It has a vast open space to skate, play basketball, and run around. This park is equipped with fun. It is also an excellent place for dog walkers and bonfires.
Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park: It was formerly Birmingham nature center, and before that, it was named Birmingham zoo. The zoo is small and located at the edge of cannon hill park in the city. It is managed and owned by the city council. They have friendly staff, fabulous animals, and affordable prices.
Moseley Bog: This is a local nature reserve in the Moseley area of Birmingham and formerly known as the dell. The place is tranquil and ideal for relaxing and interacting with nature. It is a fun place to explore with bikes and scooters.
Cannon Hill Park: This is the most popular in the city since it has so many different national origins and great fun staff. It covers a total of 250 acres consisting of formal, woodland, conservation, and sports areas. Other recreational activities in the park include fishing, bowls, boating, tennis, and picnic areas.
Handsworth Park: It is a park in the Handsworth area of Birmingham, covering 63 acres of landscaped grass slopes. It has two unique sections, which are separated by a bridge over a railway line. The units include the lakeside with trees and grassy areas around the lake and the other side with the park where kids could play and a cricket pitch.
The Beach. This is a very cool place, excellent for swimming. Its very ideal for hanging out with family, hold a birthday event or a conference. There are also very cool flowers and plants that help you connect with nature.
Crosby Beach. It is a lovely beach though very busy when the weathers are conducive. There are also too many bikes to rent in you are a great fan. This 2 miles sandy beach gives a great view of WIrrL and wales on a clear day.
- Temple Of Relief: This is a historical landmark in Birmingham, united kingdom. It is considered one of the best temples around and indiscriminate and tolerant to all.
- Chamberlain Clock: It is a cast-iron Edwardian clock tower in the jewelry quarter of Birmingham. It was erected in 1903 to mark joseph Chamberlain's South Africa tour after the second world Boer war end. The historical landmark is surrounded by lots of interesting independent shops and cafes.
- Hall of Memory': It is a war memorial in cemetery square Birmingham England. It was erected in 1925 in remembrance of the 12,320 citizens of Birmingham who died during world war 1.outside four statues represent the airforce, army, and woman's service. The inside is a tranquil and peaceful solemn place to honor those who died.
- Lapworth Museum of Geology: This is a geological museum run by the University of Birmingham and located on the university campus. This museum is named after the famous geologist Charles Lapworth dating back to 1880. It contains some dinosaur fossils, bones, and a little bit of taxidermy.
- Blakesley Hall Museum: This is one of the oldest buildings in Birmingham and is an excellent example of Todor architecture. It is ideal for people with great interest in the history of England. They have lovely staff who will take you through different places.
- The Barber Institute of Fine Arts: This is a concert hall and gallery in Birmingham built on the premises of the campus. It is a fantastic place to visit with helpful and friendly staff. There is an excellent art collection, some ranging from the early 1930s.
Birmingham has a wide range of restaurants with an extensive range of foods. Here, you can always find one that suits you well. The cost of food depends on the quality of the restaurant and the kind of food. You can get food from local restaurants, vegan restaurants, or contact street foods.
Traditional Local Restaurants
Traditional restaurants in Birmingham portray the real culture of the residents. By taking part, you will show appreciation of their culture, creating a greater connection with the city. They are worth a try.
- The Karczma Restaurant: It is a thatched-roofed with fleece-lined benches cottage for the classic polish fare. It offers both dining areas and takeaways. It has a very extraordinary atmosphere and friendly staff providing attentive service.
- Adam's Restaurant: This is a fine dining restaurant based in Birmingham city. It offers modern British tasting menus that are considered very tasty. They offer a truly excellent dining experience served by very professional staff. The place is also adorable; relax and have a chat with friends.
- Purnells: They offer fantastic value for fantastic food with the first-class service. The staffs are very knowledgeable about what they serve, therefore creating an excellent experience for their clients. The place is a great place to relax and have family dinners.
- Simpsons Restaurant: This is a modern British restaurant located in Birmingham city. they offer top-notch customer services and incredible food that could challenge your thinking.
- Opheim: They offer modern Indian plates alongside wine and shaken cocktails. The foods here are of good value for the money. There are a wide variety of dishes with so many flavors in each word. Their staffs are friendly and attentive to details.
Vegetarian and Vegan
- The Warehouse Cafe: This is an organic vegetarian and vegan dishes in Birmingham, England. They offer a wide range of organic foods that are very fantastic. The café also offers a wide range of craft beers and a selection of homemade cakes. The staffs here are amicable and ready to help at any time. They also provide friendly prices for their foods that many can afford.
- Earth's Kitchen: This vegan restaurant offers good quality vegan Caribbean food at very affordable prices. They offer great parking spaces not far from the restaurant. The food is delicious, and the staffs are very professional. The atmosphere is excellent, making it a nice place to relax after a long day.
- Jyoti's Vegetarian: This is a nice cozy vegetarian restaurant that offers a wide range of vegan foods. The layout is straightforward with a friendly atmosphere. The foods offered are delicious and will make you want more. It's a nice place to visit with family and friends. Worth a visit.
- Vegan Munch UK: It is a vegan restaurant located a few meters away from the town center. It's purely a vegan restaurant is offering a wide range of tasty greens. The staffs are super friendly and ready to help in case of anything. The foods are also an excellent value for your money.
- Land Restaurant: It is located in the great western arcade in Birmingham. It is a very clean and well kept accessible spot. It offers a great dining experience with a wide range of foods available for veggie lovers. The staffs are also excellent and ready to help in case the need arises.
Birmingham has a wide range of street foods, especially in the city streets. It is a wise option for those who earn low incomes. Street foods also are a significant income source for many families who help the city to grow drastically. Street foods come at low costs and are easily accessible, making this very popular among locals and visitors. Primary street foods in Birmingham include:
- Smoked Chicken with White Sauce: It is a smoky flavored moist chicken surrounded by a crisp golden skin and the most fed Birmingham locals. It is later topped with Alabama white barbecue sauce. The sauce is creamy, tangy, and peppery.
- Oxtails: This refers to the cattle tails. They are mostly found on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Sundays. The delicacy cooks for almost four hours with simple seasoning. The result is fall-off-the-bone meat that does not need a fork or knife. All you need is to pick it up and dive in.
- Fried Chicken: This is not your average fried chicken. The chicken is fried with buttermilk making it tender, moist chicken coated in a golden brown crispy bread.it is served with truffle mashed potatoes and finished with rich lemon beurre blanc that ties the elements together, resulting in the tasty fried chicken
- Tacos: Tacos are filled with typical meats, dada, and more items like tongue, pastor, and brain. The delicacy is then topped with onions and cilantro. The beef is excellent with its simplicity.
- Chow Chow: Chow chow is a sweet and spicy dish that consists of cabbage, sugar, mustard, and a secret blend of spices. It can even be bought at local groceries and use in home-cooked words.
- Coddled Egg: The locals refer to this as an appetizer. It is merely an egg in a creamy sauce of Grana Padano cheese, cream, caramelized onions, and carrot. The mixture is very delicious on its own or can be taken with homemade bread.
Birmingham residents have fin drinking places. The significant drinks are tap water and beers. The city goes to some of the finest pubs and bars in the region to find great cocktail bars.
The city has soft water with a hardness level of 39.81 parts per million. The water is served by Bermingham servern Trent in the water department and used by 1,141,374 people. Birmingham university research shows that the choline in the tap water was solely included for killing bacteria and germs that were of great concern to pregnant women and children.
- Three's Coffee Lounge: It's a coffee shop with classic beverages and bean bag seating alongside a wide range of foods and pastries. They also offer oat milk cappuccino and other epic foods. The staffs are friendly, and the atmosphere is excellent for relaxing after a long day.
- Ju Ju's Cafe Birmingham: It is a casual eatery that offers all-day brunches and breakfasts. They have clean and cozy dining and also provide curbside pickup. The staffs are amicable and welcoming, making sure each guest is happy. The atmosphere is quite relaxing.
- Grand Central Kitchen – Birmingham: It is an easygoing small outpost serving classic English breakfast, wraps, sandwitches&pizza. They offer both dine-in and takeaway foods. They offer high standard customer service alongside delicious foods served by very welcoming staff. The place also got a wonderful atmosphere for relaxing.
- Cherry Red's Cafe Bar: This red-accented café offers a full English breakfast and live music. the place got friendly staff members who are willing to help if the need arises. There is a wide variety of oy of beers, cocktails, and veggie options.
Birmingham got some of the finest breweries in this area. These beers are mostly produced from cereal grains and barley and then fermented.
- Birmingham Brewing Company: This is one of the major breweries in Birmingham city. It offers both takeaways, home delivery, and a dine-in. It provides tasty, super fresh beer followed by top-notch service. The brewery is very digitized as it offers online booking using their mobile app.
- I am burning Soul Brewing co: The brewery offers a truly remarkable experience. The staff and the guy who owns it are very professional, passionate, and knowledgeable about the art of brewing. The bar got live music that helps customers relax.
- Two Towers Brewery:People mostly go here for brewery tours. The place got a wide range of excellent drinks to choose from. You can also buy fresh beer on the site from the super friendly staff .there is a lot to learn about beer brewing.
- Dig Brew Co: The brewery offers dine-in, takeaway, and deliveries to their customers. They provide unique foods and a wide variety of fresh beers. The tour here is considered very informative by the locals. The staff is amiable and professional.
In Birmingham, there are several fun activities you can engage in, including outdoor fitness or jog in the city parks. These outdoor activities help improve physique, the feel-good factor, and improved bonding.
Yoga and Retreats
When you don't have enough time to join a full-time yoga retreat, Birmingham has many events that can host you for a few hours. They will help you relax, revive, and rejuvenate. These yoga and retreats help deepen your mindfulness, helping you connect with your body, soul, and mind. Some retreat centers you can visit include.
- Yogahaven Birmingham: This is one of the best practice studios in Birmingham. They have quality teachers and instructors. It's also an excellent place to get inspired, encouraged, and empowered by the helpful trainers. The atmosphere is also welcoming and very friendly.
- City Yoga Birmingham: This is another excellent facility for yoga training. The instructors are incredibly knowledgeable and very willing to share their knowledge with you. It got terrific people and a friendly atmosphere.
- Yoga Sweat: The place is just friendly, unique, and welcoming staff who make you feel at ease even when starting or less experienced. It offers a variety of courses for all appetites and all levels.
- Barefoot Birmingham: They offer excellent classes at a perfect location. The instructors are very fantastic and willing to help out. The room is also very spacious and calming hence giving you to breathe fresh air. Overall, it is an excellent place with great people.
Accommodation places in Birmingham are clean, neat, and affordable. This is an excellent plus for visitors and local tourists. The types of accommodation businesses available include apartments, luxury lodges, motels, and holiday parks, among many other varieties.
Most of these Green hotels follow some strict green guidelines that ensure that their visitors are safe, non-toxic, and energy-efficient. Green hotels fight to preserve the environment.
- Best Western Westley Hotel: This hotel serves delicious and authentic Indian food. The attendants are very professional and friendly. The general staff is also very willing to help in case you feel lost. The atmosphere of the hotel is lovely and peaceful. The living rooms are also well equipped with Wi-Fi and a tv screen in each room.
- The Birmingham Hotel: The hotel is located in the town city of Birmingham. The rooms are very modern and elegant. The rooms are quite large enough to hold a small family. They have a nice car park which is also very secure. The staff members are imposing and ready to help if the need arises. The cost of the rooms is very reasonable.
- Hotel ibis Birmingham Bordesley Circus: The hotel is located in Bordesley park road in Birmingham city. The location has a perfect connection with public transport hence very easily accessible. The rooms are spotless and well-arranged. The staffs are very professional and ready to help if the need arises.
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels in Birmingham are mostly used and shared by low-income earners and students due to their low economic status. The hostel in Birmingham is in a perfect state and well furnished. Good examples of these accommodations include:
- Birmingham Central Backpackers: This hostel is mainly for backpackers. They offer excellent services to keep you wanting to stay more. The staffs are super friendly and willing to help if the need arises. There are free Wi-Fi and free breakfast too. If you wish to cook your food, they offer the kitchen to you, and you can now do your own thing. The atmosphere is top-notch and with very decent people.
- Hatters Hostel Birmingham: The hostel is located in livery Birmingham city. It offers excellent accommodation to its customers. They have free Wi-Fi and breakfast too. The staff is amiable and willing to help if the need arises. The hostel offers good value for your money.
- Edgbaston: The hostel is located in Bristol road Birmingham city. the rooms are quite spacious and clean. You have your private bedroom with a lock to ensure ultimate security. The place is very convenient for public transport. The staff is amiable and professional. The hostel offers a great environment to mingle with people and make friends.
- St Anne's Hostel: Located in Mosley Birmingham city, st Annes hostel offers excellent accommodation facilities to cater to their visitor's needs. The staff members are hot, caring, and provide excellent support to the clients. It's considered a hostel for homeless people.
- Onyx Serviced Accommodation Apartments: The apartment is located in Helena, Birmingham city. the apartments are beautiful, clean, spacious, modern, and convenient. The inside is well furnished and got everything you need to live comfortably. The customer service is very fantastic and with clear communication. The attendants are very friendly and professional. Onyx Serviced Accommodation Apartments
- SACO Birmingham - Brindleyplace: The hostel is located in Brunswick square Birmingham city. the location is perfect since every service is within a distance walk. The staff is amiable and professional hence making your stay even more exciting. The rooms are clean, organized, and very spacious.
- Skyline Apartments: Skyline apartment is located in Granville Birmingham city. It is located in a very central place where everything is within a walk of a distance. The environment and atmosphere are ideal for relaxing. The apartment gives excellent value for your money.
- Southside Apartments: The apartment is located in Essex, Birmingham city. it has two bedrooms and a big kitchen. The place is very modern, clean and well organized. The staff is very impressive and warm. The apartment also got several restaurants that offer a wide range of foods and drinks.
- PREMIER SUITES Birmingham: The apartment is located in upper Dean, Birmingham city. the apartment offers a bedroom, living room, kitchen, and parking. The kitchen is equipped with a water kettle, refrigerator, washing machine, and stove. The living room is equipped with a television, free Wi-Fi, and sofas. If you make to live long enough, you will be able to get your mailbox.
Couchsurfing in Birmingham will help you discover unique places that you would never have got to know. Birmingham residents are very welcoming couch surfers and willing to share their culture and their hidden gems. Couch surfing also helps you save on accommodation costs. Sometimes people ask whether Couchsurfing is safe for women. in Birmingham, Couchsurfing is safe for everyone, provides you know how to use it. To get places to go or people willing to hold you, you can visit Couchsurfing sites or even connect with people during events, live meetings, or even social media platforms.
Camping in Birmingham comes in different forms. You can opt for bike camping, glamping, car camping, or even tent camping. Camping commonly happens during summers due to warm and dry weather. Birmingham got many camping sites. They include:
- Chapel Lane Caravan and Motorhome Club Site: The camp is located in with all Birmingham city. It's a friendly caravan site with wonderful patrons and guides. The place is easy to access using public transport since it's just next to a road. The area is also tranquil, providing a friendly environment to relax and connect with nature.
- Lilley green camping: Liley green camp is located in Beoley Birmingham city. it is a fantastic and beautiful site with views over the surrounding countryside. The staff and owners are accommodating and ready to help if the need arises. The place is also very secure.
- Yew Tree Cottage Camping and Caravan Site: The place is lovely and quiet, making it ideal for relaxing or even chatting with friends. The campsite is clean and close to shops and pubs. The staffs are amicable and ready to help if the need arises. It's just a nice place if you wish to escape the usual madness and hide in a quiet and relaxing place.
How to Get There
To get to Birmingham, you can travel by road, air, water or train, and tram. Both international and domestic travel connections are excellent.
Air is the most convenient means of getting to Birmingham in case you in a faraway country. Its time saving and reduces the many troubles in our roads today. Birmingham airport is just outside the city; hence it's a minutes' walk to the city center. From the airport, there are many other means to get to anywhere in Birmingham. The report is connected with many means of public transports, including trains, trams, and buses.
Traveling by bus could be a tedious way to get to Birmingham, but on the other hand, it is cheap and environmental friendly compared to private means. Birmingham's national express coaches terminate at the newly built Birmingham coach station, which is just a walk away from the city center. These buses are convenient and will surely get you to where you want.
Birmingham is said to be the central hub of Britain's rail network. Its central station has undergone a significant upgrade in recent times. The train is a very environment-friendly means to get to Birmingham since it saves on cost, pollution, and congestion caused by private transport.
Birmingham has an excellent taste for hitchhiking. The ideal place to hitch out is on the m6 from the spaghetti junction, where there is a space for cars to pull over. Hitchhiking is a common practice in this part of the region, especially with young people. The main problem with hitching here is that cars move very fast, and the frequent patrols by police could also be a hindrance. Hitchhiking helps one learn to appreciate the kindness of strangers.
Other modes of transport that get you to Birmingham include: (a) by tram (b)Personal cars (c) ferry
Moving around in Birmingham could be the most exciting thing to do since it gives you a chance to interact with the locals and learn to appreciate and understand their culture. There are several means you can use to move around, including:
Walking is a very eco-friendly way to move around. It improves overall body health and saves the environment from the gases produced when people use cars and motorbikes. Walking also helps interact with the locals hence helping them understand their culture. Walking helps promote and appreciate local businesses since you can see new things and touch local products. Birmingham also got lovely walking and jogging routes.
Birmingham has a great network of canals ideal for walking and cycling. There are also on-road cycle lane and signaled routes on the quieter roads in Birmingham city. Cycling also helps improve physique and an eco-friendly means of transport.
Although electric vehicles have not gone mainstream, the Birmingham city council is rolling out renewable energy electric vehicle charge points across the city. There are 42 charging stations in Birmingham city. Electric car demand is on the rise; hence more charging stations will be opened in the coming months.
Public buses in Birmingham are very convenient and organized. The simplest way to buy a ticket is by paying the bus driver using cash. More than 40 bus service operators in this region are national express west midlands, which accounts for over 80% of all journeys .other bus services include diamond west midlands and the green bus.
Tram, Train and Subway
This is the cheapest means of transport in Birmingham compared to all other means of transportation. Birmingham's train routes are very extensive and convenient, connecting to all major cities and airports in the region. They make traveling very convenient for the average person.
Sustainable shopping makes sure that everything we buy has a health, social, and environmental impact on Birmingham residents. Sustainable shopping gives visitors a chance to support what is important to the environment for the greater good of the world's climate.
- Bullring Open Market: It's a traditional market with more than 130 stalls selling veggies, fruits, and home goods. The market opens six days a week. Here you can get a variety of products at low prices. Vegetables and fruits are always fresh and fit for human consumption.
- Birmingham indoor market: It is a long-running market offering poultry, seafood, meat, and household goods. The place is tranquil and very peaceful when doing your shopping, providing a good time and mental clarity. The site got many stalls rented by the city council at throwaway prices.
- Kings Heath farmers market: It's a farmer's market in Birmingham, England. The place got great stalls that sell a variety of flavored cheese. The market also has fresh vegetables and fruits. There is always lovely live music playing during market days.
- Bullring Rag Market: It is an indoor, open, and rag market equipped with stalls and retailers selling clothes, foods, and everyday foods. Here you will get curtain fabric, velvet texture, and even ready-made products at low prices. The place is spotless and well organized.
- St. Martin's Market: This is a great market to do your shopping without worrying about costs. Products are cheap and fresh. There are many well-organized stalls with great products. The market is also very clean with plenty of area for parking and resting. Household items are very cheap and of good quality.
Second Hand Stores
- Euro Export UK: The store sells use clothing in Birmingham city. the goods are of excellent quality and good shape. The store is ever busy over the week and floods with people during weekends. Most of the available products are very cheap and accessible to the general public.
- British Heart Foundation: This is a thrift store located in bull Birmingham city. The store offers indoor shopping, onsite services, and delivery. The staffs are amicable and ready to help if the need arises. Goods are reasonably priced and in a wide variety. The goods available range from clothing, bags, shoes, and accessories.
- Birmingham City Mission Shop:This is a thrift store located in hawthorn in Birmingham city. the store got various new and used books. The store also l stationary at very affordable prices. The staffs are amicable and ready to help if the need arises.
The people of Birmingham try to promote eco-friendly brands and those that encourage visitors to do the same. These brands try to cab the negative impact on the overall environment, consumers' health, and workers' working conditions.
Disorder Boutique: The store is a significant retailer for men's clothing in Birmingham city. the products are of high quality and at reasonable prices. The staff is very welcoming and warm. The goods available here are local and also manufactured locally.
Recycling is a great and vital way to keep the environment clean. Recycling prevents the pollution of air and water bodies. Recyclable items in Birmingham include metals like tin and aluminum, and plastics.
Birmingham city got nice and well-allocated trash collection areas to help keep the town area clean and conducive for business activities. While here, make sure to drop your plastic cans and any other kind of waste material in these designated areas to support the city government's plan of keeping the place tidy.
Work and Study Abroad
There are over 220 international companies in Birmingham city. the companies offer both full time and part-time jobs to Birmingham. There are also a vast number of startups in this part of the region. Significant companies are tech-based, shipping companies, software companies, and logistics companies.
Birmingham hosts some of the major universities in this region. Many of these universities are majoring in tech courses due to the rising demand for tech professionals in the area. Universities and colleges in the city include:
- University of Birmingham
- University College of Birmingham
- Aston university
- University of Birmingham
The residents of Birmingham do not find it a problem to have au pairs from other countries. Au pairs usually live with the family they work for and are rewarded fairly for their excellent job. Most people who need au pairs are the working class. The people of Birmingham opt for people above the age of 18 and have good English language skills.
Birmingham has several organizations that can quickstart you by giving you the platform to help those in need. There are both paid and free volunteers with an average wage ranging from 4$ to 6$ an hour. Volunteer groups you can join include.
- Childline Volunteer Counsellor
- Volunteer Social Care Volunteers
- Fundraising Volunteer