Eco-friendly travel guide to United Kingdom advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in United Kingdom, Europe.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Bus connections: 3 / 5
- Train connections: 4/ 5
- Hitchhiking: 3.5 / 5
- National parks: 3 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 5 / 5
- Safety: 3.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$10 - $300
- Budget per day: US$10 - $1000
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
The United Kingdom also known as the UK is one of the popular countries in the world. This country offers different popular places to travelers around the world like Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, and Wales. Some of these places are very well known in the world for different reasons such as England is known around the world for being the home of The Beatles, Shakespeare, the capital city London, and many more. Also, it has a great influence on global culture and finance. Apart from England, there are many other parts of the country that are known for having some of the best architectural wonders, monuments, museums, historic structures, lush green national parks and much more.
World-famous universities like Cambridge and Oxford make this country a favourite for all the foreign students as well. So, if you are thinking of taking a trip, then England is one of the best places. Being one of the most influential countries in the world, this country offers a ton of surprises for tourists. The rich history, unique culture, food chives traditions, and other things will help you to get a very good experience in this country.
There are many places available in the country that will help you to know details about the historical stories. The total population of this country is nearly 6.66 crores and comes in the 21st position in the world for having the highest population in the world. The number of tourists visiting the country is very high because popular places like England, London, and others make it attractive. Some of the sports like football, badminton, rugby, tennis, horse riding, motorsports, water sports, and others are very popular in this country.
You will love exploring this beautiful country but make sure that you have enough time to cover your itinerary. There are some things that you need to know before visiting this country. As an eco-friendly traveler, these will help you to keep the environment of the country and your health safe during the trip.
- Do not throw waste: After exploring all the different places in the country, you can get away from the crowd by visiting the city parks in the country. In all the major cities and parts of the country, you will get to see a lot of different parks available. Most of them will help you to get close to nature as they are surrounded by lush greenery. When you visit any tourists attractions especially place like the city parks, make sure you do not throw any food wrapper and do not just stop at that but if you see any trash, pick it up and throw it in the dustbin. It might look like a very small thing to do but has a huge impact on people watching especially the children present in the park since they learn and mimic the behaviour of other people around them.
- Choose green hotels over other accommodation options and if you cannot find a green hotel of your choice then opt for an apartment or hostel. This is because most of the five star hotels and resorts create tonnes of waste every day including 79,000 tonnes of food waste (9% total food waste from the sector) and they do not adhere to sustainable business practices. If you choose to stay in an apartment you can work on your carbon footprint and decide on things like using no plastic, minimum waste etc. This will not only help with reducing your carbon footprint but massively help help with improving the environment.
- Choose Local Transportation:There are a lot of transportations available that you can choose to travel around the country. Some of them are expensive, some of them are cheap but take a lot of time to reach the destinations. However, most of them pollute the environment a lot as they are run by fuel. You can choose to move around by eco-friendly transportations such as e-bike, electronic cars, cycles, and many more. These will both ensure your trip to be comfortable and keep the environment clean
- Try the local food: Instead of just sticking to international fast food franchises that contribute to so much waste being produced in the world, you should try the local options.Traditional foods are one of the things that you need to try to understand the culture of the country very well. There are a lot of traditional restaurants available that serve all of the different items at reasonable prices. However, just like big restaurants, street food dishes are also a very important part of the country that will help you to understand the culture very well. You will find a lot of street food stalls and shops around the country in all the major cities
- Shop Local: Apart from all the different locations, you will be able to get a lot of small shops and stalls available in the country. Most of these sellers are dependent on tourism. Buying goods from them will not only help you but also these sellers to get the support they need for providing high-quality items
Air Quality and Pollution
The air quality and the pollution level of a country matters a lot. Not many tourists take it into consideration but the looming danger of climate change and problems like smog and haze have had some serious detrimental effects on the health of people. However, the air quality of this country is very good and the pollution level is also under the WHO recommendation. When it is compared to other countries, the UK takes 21st place for having the lowest pollution among all the countries.
The AQI (Air Quality Index) of this country is between 30-50 most of the time. That does not mean that you do not need to be extra careful. The air quality might be good, but pollution is still a big issue in this country. If you belong to sensitive groups then you must take extra precautions like wearing a mask (which might be the new normal post cover anyway), carrying your inhaler and medications and avoiding areas that are too populated. Air pollution has become a very serious health concern in the country.
The principal source of particulate matter in UK cities is road traffic emissions, particularly from diesel vehicles. It is also emitted from industrial combustion plants and public power generation, commercial and residential combustion, and some non-combustion processes (e.g. quarrying). The high air pollution across central and southern England and parts of Wales is due to light easterly winds bringing pollutants from the continent and allowing local pollution to linger close to where it is produced. Dust blown up from the Sahara may also be a factor. If the dust rises high enough in the atmosphere and does not meet a low pressure weather system on the way, the particles can reach the UK before falling to the ground. Winds of more than 20mph are usually needed to sweep sand up into the atmosphere, and over the Saharan desert they have been reaching 40mph in recent weeks.
Respect the Culture
Like you, a huge number of travelers visit the United Kingdom to explore the famous attractions. However, some of them do not bother much about visiting famous attractions, they look for cultural and traditional specialties and explore them. The culture of this country is very unique and different from many others. Although the culture of this country has influenced many others, the raw cultural experience available here will amaze you. The diversity is very visible in the culture of this country and you will be able to see people who live in the Uk belong to all kinds of backgrounds and religions. Most of the people of this country are Christians though and you will be able to see quite a few churches all around the country.
Some of the most common ones are Protestant, Catholic, Baptist, Protestant, Methodist, and many more. Apart from that, you will be able to see other religions in this country as well such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Sikhism, Judaism, and others. It will help you to witness the cultural vibrancy and some rare traditions that are practiced in the country. From food to clothes, the difference in the lifestyle of these people will amaze you.
The history of the nation influences this country a lot as you will be able to see a lot of similarities with the old British culture. The religious life, cultures, traditions, and others will help you to experience the culture very well. Some of the things that play a major role in showcasing the culture are clothes, foods, lifestyle, language, history, and others. You need to explore all of them very well to know the cultural details. If you visit the country at the time of festivals, then you will be able to get a better experience. Some of the most popular festivals are Diwali in Leicester, Guy Fawkes Day, Jorvik Viking Festival, Lost Village, Neverworld, Boomtown, Camp Wildfire, and many more.
Top 10 Places to Visit
The United Kingdom is the best country where people from different parts of the globe want to visit. It is because the country has some wonderful cities where holiday destinations are more than exciting. If you want to know the names of those destinations then just see them below.
- Buckingham Palace London - Buckingham Palace is the London residence and administrative headquarters of the monarch of the United Kingdom. Located in the City of Westminster, the palace is often at the centre of state occasions and royal hospitality. If you are in the capital city of London then never miss this beautiful palace. In order to know more about the Royal Family and the Monarchs, you ought to visit this place.
- Manchester Cathedral Manchester - Believe it or not, but it is true that this cathedral was established in the year 1422. This cathedral that is almost 600 years old has a beautiful story to tell and offers you an insight into the history of this region. You will see that they are totally similar to what you find in your history books. Just try it out for once and you would enjoy it to the fullest. Free taster tours lasting approximately 30 minutes are available most days Monday to Saturday
- Cadbury World Birmingham - This is one of the most popular tourist attractions of not just Birmingham but the entire UK. The best part is that it offers an immersive experience like breakfast, lunch or tea with Cadbury characters. You'll learn how your favourite confectionery is made, play in chocolate rain and add your favourite treat to a delicious pot of warm melted Cadbury Dairy Milk. Discover the origins of the cocoa bean before jumping onboard the magical Cadabra ride and meeting the infamous Cadbury drumming gorilla.
- Bristol Aquarium Bristol - A live aquarium in the city of Bristol where you will get to see all kinds of fish and sea creatures. Explore more than 40 naturally-themed displays and spot the thousands of amazing aquatic creatures, including tropical sharks, rays, seahorses, puffer fish, piranhas, and so many more.
- The Beatles Story Liverpool - For all the Beatles fans out there this place is a must-visit. It tells you about the significance of Beatles rock bands and some of their hit songs. If you find these songs in your playlists then you will definitely find them. But try not to miss it because this chance may not be there on your next trip.
- Nottingham Castle Nottingham - People in the city call it a museum but in simple words, it is a castle. Here you will get some paintings and sketches made by the most famous British artists. They give you a feeling of wow and show you a very extraordinary thing. So rather than having any second thoughts, you should come here and then see how lovely it is.
- The Sheldonian Theatre Oxford - This theatre is about 400 years old and has some lovely features which we cannot stop praising. First of all, it shows some amazing concert shows and dramatic plays which are beyond your imaginations. In the beginning, you may not find it enjoyable but later on, you will understand its value thoroughly.
- St. Mary's Cathedral Newcastle upon Tyne - A very holy cathedral where you can go and wish for something which you have been waiting for for a long time. Wish it over here from your true heart and then see that one day it will definitely come true.
- Anglesey Abbey Cambridge - This place is situated in the outskirts of Cambridge city and is responsible for promoting the city's cultural heritage. The celebrated garden, with its sweeping avenues and classical statues, enjoys an array of foliage in shades of red and gold, making a beautiful backdrop to an autumn walk. The yellow leaves of the field maple make a fine entrance to the temple lawn. Berries along the pilgrim’s lawn provide even more colour, while the working water mill and house are full of treasures and offer plenty to do on your visit.
- Magna Science Adventure Centre Rotherham - It is a center of science where you will get to see some famous scientific experiments. It is an awesome building set in the former Templeborough steelworks, providing an exciting and inspiring education visit. Pupils can explore and discover science, technology, design and industrial history in an incredible, hands-on environment
There is much to explore in the UK. From churches to museums to theatres, parks, beaches, shopping malls, the list is endless. Your itinerary will be jam packed and if you want to see maximum number of places in a short time then the most effective way is to plan your trip properly beforehand.
- Allesley Park Coventry - This historic park with its lush green gardens and beautiful meadows is one of the most popular parks in Coventry. The facilities include a 18 hole gold course, park pavilions that offers refreshments, play area for children, public toilets etc.
- Eastside City Park Birmingham - Here you will get to see more open spaces for playing outdoor games like cricket and football. Bring your children over here and allow them to play happily with you. But if you refuse it then no one can help you to find the best place on your trip.
- Dean's Park York - A park which is situated in the middle of the city and is the leading example of greenery. It is filled with green spaces and here you will get to enjoy a very calm atmosphere.
- Snowdonia National Park: It is world renowned for its rugged landscape, Welsh culture and of course Wales’ highest mountain - Yr Wyddfa (Snowdon). There is so much to discover here, from the magnificent castle and sweeping white beach at Harlech, to the fragile greenery of the ancient celtic rainforests. Planning ahead will be everything this year. So go-ahead and start dreaming up your visit.
- Whitlingham Country Park (Norwich) - If you are willing to go for a long walk then this is the most suitable place for you. It also has a lake where you will find some ducks and ducklings. Take a piece of bread with you and feed them with nice pleasure.
- Foxes Forest (Portsmouth) - This is a deep forest cum park where you can go into the woods and get lost. Here some pine trees and shrubs become a point of attraction for most of the tourists. Sometimes people call it a boring place but you have to visit here and make your own decision about it.
- Blackpool Pleasure Beach (Blackpool) - This beach is fabulous and here the water is in its pure form. So have a bath inside its water and get a very nice adventure. And it is guaranteed that after visiting here you would want to give your best reviews.
- Weston Hard Woolston (Southampton) - Although this place is not meant for bathing here you can find some seashells and corals. Collect them and they would be enough for your house decoration. Make a note of this place and mark it as a very important one in your travel diaries.
- Birling Gap: Great for a lazy afternoon of rock pooling and fossil hunting, this wild rocky beach at the foot of the Seven Sisters chalk cliffs is accessed via steep steps beneath a faded hotel. A narrow strip of sand opens up among the rock pools at low tide, and there is a National Trust café perched high on the cliff.
- Big Ben London) - Big Ben is this massive tower clock that is considered to be one of the most famous and historical landmarks of London. That iconic silhouette is instantly recognisable and is one of the most Instagrammed landmarks on the planet.
- Manchester Museum (Manchester) - In this museum, you will find some prominent collections of anthropology that were very relevant in the early ages. So instead of thinking anything just visit this place and you will definitely find it interesting. You might not be fond of anthropology but after trying it you would love it very much.
- Coventry Transport Museum (Coventry) - This place displays the cars of the 19th century which were the fastest in those days. Visit here and know the brands because they are valuable and play a very crucial role in people's life. Without this place, your trip remains incomplete and there is no meaning of it.
If you want to get a full experience of the culture and lifestyle of a destination, then you have to try the local food. The local food is different everywhere and is a huge part of the culture of any place. The United Kingdom is no different as you will be able to try an amalgamation of different cuisines. From traditional to international, you will see plenty of restaurants in this country. As this country has a mix of ethnicities residing here, you will find Indian, Chinese, Japanese, and many other types of cuisines available in the country.
However, it is best to visit traditional restaurants first to understand the culture. There are plenty of them available in different parts of the country. From very expensive to cheap ones, you will find various ranges available. Some of the dishes that you need to try in the country are Beef Wellington, Shepherd's Pie, Fish and Chips, Eton Mess, Cornish Pasty, Afternoon Tea, Chicken Tikka Masala, Steak and Kidney Pie, and others. All of these are available in multiple restaurants around the country. You can visit all the different parts very well to get the unique experience of trying all of these dishes. Apart from these, there are many other food dishes available for vegetarians and health-conscious people.
If you are vegetarian, you do not have to worry much in this country as there are plenty of veg dishes available that will help you to get the traditional taste. However, you need to also try the street foods of the country for a complete experience. There are plenty of dishes available in street food items that you need to try. Almost in all the different areas of this country, you will find the small shops and stalls available. Trying foods from them will also support them a lot and save a lot of your money.
Just like foods, drinks are an important part of the culture that will help you to make your trip more interesting. You will need to take the help of drinks in almost all the steps of your journey. You will need to carry water or soft drinks with you during your exploration and sip on other beverages to relax. Well, this country won't disappoint you as there are plenty of choices available for you to drink. Some of the drinks that are very popular in this country include Gin, Cider, Fithere reading, Ginger Beer, British Beer, CIder, Tea, Pimms, Dandelion and Burdock, and many others. All of these are available in different stores in the country.
The local people of the country are very much addicted to having tea and coffee. But when it comes to the most popular drink in the country, then it is absolutely Gin, which is also known as Tonic. Apart from these, you can get a long list of drinks available if you visit the nightlife of the country. From alcohol to soft drinks, both local and international drinks are available in the pubs, nightclubs, and bars in the country. You can visit these places to have a nice experience and relax after heavy exploring.
Local breweries are available in the county that you can visit to witness the making process of beer or other alcoholic beverages. Not only the process of making but you will also get to taste them. Drinks play a major part in your trip for your relaxation and hydration. Try to carry water or other drinks with you to refresh yourself and get hydrated under the open sun. The different types of drinks will help you a lot to get the best experience. In different cities of the country, you will get different types of drinks.
One of the things that you need to keep in mind is the quality of the tap water. It is one of the most basic needs and something that you should be aware about. Almost all the restaurants and cafes of the country offer tap-water as the primary drinking water. However, you need to know if the tap water is good for your health and safe to drink. If you want a short answer, then the answer is yes and it is completely safe to drink. It will help you to save a lot of money as bottled drinking water is sold at a very high charge.
The charge of packaged bottled water is a lot higher in London especially compared to all the other areas. You can cut the cost by drinking the normal tap water in the country during your trip. However, for more safety of your health, you can also boil the water or filter the water very well before drinking it. Some people prefer to drink the water after filtering it very well which helps to make the water pollutant free.
If you are visiting restaurants or other places, then you can easily drink filtered tap-water in this country. There are some places and areas available where the tap water is not that good. You will need to take the help of bottled drinking water in these places. Almost all the shops of the country have tap-water available for drinking purposes. Apart from drinking, tap water is also used by the locals for washing face, brushing teeth, and other purposes.
Plenty of activities are there that you can choose to do on your tour to the United Kingdom. You will need to have a lot of time to explore all the different things in this country. From famous attractions to some of the world-famous cities are available in the country that will help you to have a lifetime experience of traveling. There are places that you can visit to know the different stories of the country. Some of these places include monuments, historical places, museums, libraries, and many others. By visiting all of these places, you will be able to learn many things about the country.
Apart from that, places like London, Wales, Scotland, and others are some of the places that will offer you a wide list of activities to take part in. If you love to have some adrenaline rush, then you can take part in different outdoor activities. Some of the most famous outdoor activities that you need to try are river swimming, coasteering, rock climbing, hiking, horse riding, trekking, wildlife exploring, scuba diving, and many others. You will need to take the help of different service providers to book these outdoor activities.
As there are seas, mountains, and jungles available in the country, you will be able to explore a lot of options available for outdoor activities. After exploring all the different parts of the country, you can also choose to visit the city parks or yoga centers in the country to get away from the crowd. It will not only help you relax, but you will be able to get your energy back. There are many yoga centers available as the local people of the country are health conscious. It is best to book the yoga classes or sessions in advance.
As the United Kingdom is very popular around the world, and a huge number of tourists visit this country, there are plenty of accommodation options available for you to explore. From very expensive to cheap ones available based on your requirements. No matter which one you choose for your stay in the country, most of them have all the basic facilities available. You will need to choose an accommodation based on different things such as budget, staying time in the country and others.
After deciding these things, you will be able to make a budget. In most of the areas of the United Kingdom, you will get all the different options available for you to stay. However, if you have the options of both staying comfortably and keeping the country safe, then you need to choose that like green hotels. Green hotels ensure both your healthy and comfortable stay in the country and keep the environment eco-friendly.
It is one of your responsibilities to keep the environment of the county safe as an eco-friendly traveler. You can take the help of online services to book these accommodations. It is best to book the accommodations as early as possible because they tend to get booked by other travelers pretty soon. Here are some of the best accommodations that you can choose for your stay in the country given below in detail that will help you to choose yours at the time of travel.
All around the world, green hotels are getting popular for many different reasons. Travelers are choosing this as it helps to keep both the environment of the travel destination and keep their health safe. In all the different areas of the United Kingdom, you will be able to see the green hotels available. From expensive to low ones, you will be able to get different price ranges available with specific features. The luxurious green hotels are also available in some of the areas like London, England, and others. These hotels offer all of the things eco-friendly and recycled that helps to keep the country safe. Some of the most common things that you will get to see in hotels are recycled water, solar energy, and others.
It helps to save natural resources a lot and takes the help of recycled items. The people of the country and the travelers are very well aware of the environment of this country. So, it is best to book the green hotels as fast as possible that will both help you to get a room and prevent all the last time hassle of waiting in the long line. Although this option is available in most of the places of the country. You might get to some places where there are no green hotels available. When booking these hotels, it is best to book them near the center of every city. It will help you to get connected with different parts of the country very well.
Hostels and Guest Houses
As mentioned above, you might not be able to get the option of green hotels available throughout the country, taking the help of the guesthouses or hotels will help you a lot. They have a lot of similarities with one another but the biggest difference is the price. When comparing with the guesthouses, you will be able to get a much lower price. The range of guesthouses starts from very cheap to luxurious prices. When compared to hostels, you can share the room of hostels with other travelers or people to get the room at a lower price.
They are available in almost all the different parts of the country. From mountains to sea beaches, you will be able to find hostels and guesthouses all around the country. You will find a lot of similarities in these places as the facilities are almost the same. Just like hotels, you need to book the hostels and guesthouses as early as possible to get the rooms available. The guesthouses and hostels seem to get full very fast by both foreign travelers, students, workers, and clothes.
You can take the help of different online services to get the booking done in advance. Booking them early will help you to get them available and receive some discount on the price as well. Staying in the hostels and guesthouses will help you to get a very good travel experience. Try to book them near the center of the cities to get connected to all the different places and get the transportations easily available.
If you want to cut some cost of accommodation, then you need to choose apartments for your stay. They are as comfortable as any other mode of accommodation. You will be able to rent them from a very low price range. If you are thinking of staying for a long time in the country, then it is the best option for you. There are areas available in the United Kingdom, where you will not be able to get any accommodations available except apartments. They are both very good for staying and saving money. However, this is not the only reason for travelers to choose apartments for their stay.
There are plenty of travelers from different countries who choose to stay in the apartments to explore the local culture and traditions. The apartments of the country are also used by the local people of the country. So you will be surrounded by the local people of the country that will help you a lot to observe them very well. A closer look at their culture and traditions will help you to get a very good experience of exploring the lifestyle. Unlike all the other modes of accommodation, you will be able to book the apartments very well both online and offline.
No matter which apartment you choose to stay from high to low range, all of them offer basic facilities. You might become friends with the local people as well after staying for a long time in the country. You can visit the online websites to get the list of apartments available in the country from luxurious to cheap ones. Try to get the apartments booked in the middle of the city like other accommodations to get connected well to different areas.
Couchsurfing is one of the best ways to stay in the country that helps you to get the best experience of the stay in a destination. Travelers around the world are preferring Couchsurfing over all the other accommodations as it helps to save a lot of money and provide a stay like a local. Using this accommodation, you will be able to stay in the country in the home of another traveler who is local in the country. It is a community of travelers that help each other to stay in the country for the best experience. They will offer great hospitality along with food and a comfortable stay.
There are plenty of travelers who like to be the host to help you out on the whole trip. You can take the help of different online websites to find out the hosts easily. It is best to look for the Couchsurfing hosts a lot earlier as there are many things to take care of including paperwork and initial formalities. The best thing about Couchsurfing is that it helps you to stay in the country very well like a local.
Staying with a local family will help you a lot to learn about the culture, traditions, foods, lifestyle, clothes, and others. They will also help you a lot to know different stories about the country. Some of the valuable information about the country will help you to know more about different things. If you are thinking of staying for a short time in the country, then Couchsurfing can help you a lot to get very good staying information and know a lot about the culture and traditions.
Camping is one of the accommodation options that will help you to Get a very adventurous feeling at the destination. Along with exploring different locations and attractions at night, you will be able to get a very good experience of the trip by sleeping under the open sky near nature. If you love to catch some glimpse of natural beauty and make your stay more adventurous, then you will not be disappointed in the United Kingdom. There are plenty of camping spots available that can help you to get a very good experience of watching natural views. Most of these camps are located in different positions from mountains to water.
You need to choose the location of the camp based on your requirements. Although they are located in remote positions, you will be able to get all the different facilities available that are available on the other accommodations. Based on price, you can choose to stay from luxurious to cheap camp spots. However, even cheap ones also offer all the basic benefits like toilets, electricity, and others. The best thing about staying in camps is that it will help you to get away from all the hustle-bustle of the cities. It is very quiet and provides fresh air with natural surroundings. Apart from that, many camps are there that also offer outdoor activities.
Some of the common ones you can get include fishing, boating, scuba diving, trekking, hiking, rock-climbing, scuba diving, and many more based on the location and visiting time. If you plan your trip at the time of winter, then you will be able to do some snow activities as well in the camps that are located in mountains. It is best to book these camps some days earlier before the trip as they tend to get booked by other travelers very early. However, you can also take the help of online services to book them easily without any last time hassle.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a union made up of the following regions, home nations and territories:
- London - the capital city of the United Kingdom.
- Belfast - capital of Northern Ireland and becoming a popular tourist destination, undergoing major renovations and improvements.
- Birmingham - The UK's second largest city, features great shopping, and is home of the famous Balti and a strong industrial heritage.
- Bristol - a historical city famed for its Georgian architecture and nautical heritage, home of trip-hop music too.
- Cardiff - capital of Wales, host to a proud coal-shipping past, modern architecture, Dr. Who and one of the most successful urban regeneration projects in the country.
- Edinburgh - capital of Scotland, home to the largest arts festival in the world and numerous tourist attractions as well as being the second most visited city in the UK.
- Glasgow - Scotland's largest city, new cultural hotspot, former European City of Culture.
- Liverpool - Buzzing city, famous for its prominence in music, sport, nightlife and multiculturalism. Capital of Culture 2008.
- Manchester - Thriving bohemian music scene, gay quarter and home to the world's only new work arts festival as well as being the third most visited city in the UK.
Getting There and Moving Around
Before planning anything else about the trip, you need to first choose the mode of transportation to visit the country and travel around. Based on your location, you will be able to get a lot of different options available to reach the destination. However, when it comes to reaching the United Kingdom, your options might be limited. As the country is in the middle of the sea and separated from the mainland, you will not get many options available if you are not traveling from nearby countries. Most travelers around the world choose to travel by air as it is the most convenient option for traveling to the United Kingdom.
There are some other options available that you need to choose based on your budget and traveling duration. Some of them take a lot of time but are cheap, and others are expensive. After choosing your destination, it is best to book it in advance to travel safely. When it comes to traveling around, you will be able to get a lot of options available in different ranges. Most of these transportations will change based on different cities. However, most of the transportations of the country are run by fuel and makes the air polluted.
As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to choose transportations that do not pollute the air such as electric bikes, electric cars, bicycles, and others. There are plenty of services available in the country that will help you to get these transportations. Here are some of the most common ways to reach the county and move around given below in detail. It will both help you to know the details about them and choose the best one for you.
Air is known to be the best way to travel to different destinations and the most chosen one by travelers. The United Kingdom is an island, which is separated from the mainland and only connected to some of the countries by road. So, most of the tourists travel to this country with the help of flights. You will be able to reach faster to your location with the help of traveling by air. Also, the flights are very comfortable that helps you to get a very good experience of traveling. However, there are many different things that you need to keep in mind before choosing flights to travel to your destination.
One of these things is that you will not be able to explore many things on your way to the country. As it helps to travel very fast compared to other modes of transportations, you will only see clouds and see from high altitude. Also, the flights are very expensive compared to all the other transportations. You will need to book the tickets a lot earlier to travel to your destination with a low fee. Although international flights are connected very well with almost all the countries, make sure to check the flight timings before booking them.
When it comes to moving around in the country, flights are the best option for you if you do not have much time available on your hand. It will help you a lot to save a lot of time and move to different locations like Wales, London, and others very well. Local flights are very frequent and you will be able to get to almost all the places. More than 40 airports are available in the country that will help you to move from one to another place very well. Book your tickets earlier to both ensure your seat and save a lot of money.
Buses are known to be the cheapest way of traveling that helps to reach the destination comfortably. Many travelers prefer to travel by bus as it helps to save a lot of money and explore the beautiful places on the way. You need to remember that buses take a lot more time to reach the destination compared to flights Also, buses are known to be a much more available option in most of the countries. However, that is not the case when you are traveling to the United Kingdom. Because of the location of the country, you will not be able to travel to the country with the help of buses.
From most of the countries, there are no roads connected with the UK. If you are not traveling from France or Ireland, then you will not be able to travel by bus. That does not mean that you will not get the experience of sightseeing and traveling by bus. You can choose to move around the city by bus that will help you to save a lot of money and explore the places very well. You will be able to get uses available in almost all the cities of the country. The local people of the country use buses to travel to different corners. You will be able to get buses very frequently just by waiting at the bus terminals and stoppages.
If you are traveling the country to explore the culture, then buses are the best option for you. As local people also use buses, you will have a very close encounter with their lifestyle, culture, and others. If you are thinking of choosing buses to move around, then make sure to have some time on your hand as the buses can run late because of the traffic. Use online websites and services to know more about the bus timings, routes, stoppages, and others. If you are traveling in long-distance buses, then book the tickets earlier to confirm your seat.
If there is anything that is similar in popularity to flights, then it is the trains. Explorers and travelers like to travel by train as it helps to give a completely different experience of traveling than others. You will be able to see different locations on your way without any delay as there is no traffic. But you will not be able to enjoy this experience from most of the countries. Chances are high that you will not get this option available in your country if you are not traveling from France and Ireland.
However, you will not miss out on having this experience completely as there are railway systems available in different major cities of the country. From England to London, there are many train services available that will help you to get a very good travel experience. Just like a flight, you will need to book the tickets much earlier as they tend to get confirmed very fast. Otherwise, you will have to wait for a long time on the waiting list.
Take the help of online services or software to book the tickets easily. The trains are very frequent in all areas of this country that makes traveling around very good. The price of the train tickets is affordable and available both offline and online. For intercity travels, you might need to book them 6 months earlier. You will get benefits like food, toilets, and others in the intercity trains for a more comfortable stay.
This is a new mode of transportation compared to the other ones mentioned here. However, it managed to get very popular around the world for an adventurous journey. Many travelers choose it to save a lot of money on transportation, others choose it for simply having a great adventurous experience. Using this way of transportation, you will be able to reach your destination with the help of taking lifts from other people who are going the same way and hiking a bit. However, you will not be able to reach the United Kingdom using this way of transportation as the country is an island and separated from the mainland.
There are no roads that connect the country with the rest of the world. If you are traveling from Ireland to France, then you will be able to hitchhike. However, you will not miss out on having this unique experience as you can choose to move around the country using a hitchhike. Most of the places of this country like London, England, Wales, and others are connected to each other by road. You will need to choose the busiest roads to travel to these destinations using a hitchhike. It will help you to get a lift from other travelers very easily.
Also, try to look for lifts in places such as petrol pumps, restaurants, tolls as the cars slow down in these places. Some of the necessary things that you need to carry with you include water, maps, dry fruits. It will help you to stay safe on your way to the country. As the people of the country are friendly and helpful, you will get a lift easily. It is one of the best ways to explore all the different places on your way very well. However, make sure that you have available time on your hand before choosing to travel by hitchhiking.
Most travelers from every corner of the world choose these above-mentioned options for their trip to various places. However, these are not the only options that you can choose for your journey. Based on your home location, you will be able to get a lot of different options available to reach the United Kingdom. As the country is located in the middle of the ocean on an island, you will be able to travel by water from nearby countries such as Norway, Denmark, France, Portugal, Morocco, Iceland, and others.
From almost all the nearby countries, you can take the help of boats, ships, ferries, and others to reach the country very well. Traveling by water is similar to air as you will not be able to explore anything else on the way except water. Traveling by water is comfortable and not that expensive but you will need a lot of time to reach the country. Just like all the other transportations, book the tickets earlier using online services. Apart from water, you can use a bike, car, and others to travel by road from France and Ireland.
For traveling around the country, you can also choose water. Many cities in the UK are connected to each other by water very well. You can also travel by road from one city to another to have a very good exploration experience in this country. You will come across many travelers who are traveling with the help of rental cars or bikes from one city to another in the country. You will need a lot of time to cover all the cities of this country but it will help you to explore very well.
Sustainable shopping is very popular all around the world for keeping the environment clean. Travelers and local people from all the countries are now choosing sustainable shopping instead of normal ones to keep the destination free from pollution and save a lot of money. Being one of the popular countries in the world, you will get all the options available in this country for sustainable shopping. You will find a lot of flea markets, second-hand markets, food markets, and many more that offer different things at a low price.
In almost all the cities of this country, you will find a lot of different flea markets. If you want to have some of the things like vintage items, antiques, artifacts, and others to make your collection exclusive, then you can visit all the flea markets. Most of these markets offer different valuable items at very low prices. Most of these things tend to get sold very early, make sure to visit them as fast as possible. Apart from the flea markets, you will also find a lot of second-hand markets.
If you are looking for clothes, bags, and other accessories, then second-hand markets can help you to get high-quality items at low prices. Although these items are second hand, most of them are high quality and almost like the new ones. These will not only save your money but reduce the waste of the country. As an eco-friendly traveler, you will inspire a lot of local people to get these items for themselves and improve the overall environment. If you are a foodie, then you can also visit the food markets to find some of the rare and seasonal spices or food ingredients.
The Recycling process is one of the most important things in most countries to keep the environment clean and pollution-free. The United Kingdom is one of the countries in the world that is very well known for recycling very well. They exceed the target of the EU to recycle at least 50% of waste as the recycling rate is 57.6%. There are many recycling plants available in the country that increased the recycling process a lot in the last few years.
You will be able to see a lot of things during your trip to the country. Make sure to do your part very well to keep the country free from pollution. There are plenty of recycled item stores available that you can visit to buy some of the things at low prices. It will inspire the local people a lot to use recycled items and reduce waste production.
The waste production of the United Kingdom is less compared to all the other countries. The annual waste production of the country is estimated to be around 221 million. Waste production happens in this country mostly because of the industrial sectors. They have taken many initiatives to reduce the total waste of the country. You will be able to see a lot of things during your trip that will help you to understand the waste management process of this country.
They have installed dustbins and collect the household waste to prevent any type of landfill. A major portion of the total waste of the country comes from England. They have managed to reduce the use of plastic in the country very well to improve the entire environment. Make sure to keep the country maintaining the waste management process and play your part by placing all the waste in the correct place.
Work and Study Abroad
The United Kingdom is one of the best countries for higher education. They offer very good education courses for foreign students to build their careers. There are many foreign students available in the country that you will meet with during your trip. Some of the universities like Oxford University, Cambridge University, Imperial College London are top educational institutes in the world. Students from different countries visit this country to study at these world-famous institutes.
They offer different opportunities for foreign students to study in the country. Apart from students, there are many workers from all around the world who visit this country to have their dream job. If you have the right qualification, then you will be able to get a job easily in this country. Places like London, England, North Ireland have a high number of foreign workers. Here are some of the most attractive benefits that you will get in this country as a foreign worker or student.
Exchange student programs have become one of the most favorite benefits for students around the country. It helps the student to study in another country at a very low cost with the tuition fees. The education system and quality are very good in the United Kingdom and has some of the best universities in the world. Most of the universities offer this program to the students to help them get their dream fulfilled.
However, there are some of the things that you need to keep in mind before planning your study. To get this program from your home university, you will need to get nominated. Also, the foreign university that you are thinking of getting needs to have a partnership with your college/ school/ university. So, you need to check how many institutes have a partnership with your home institute before planning to take this program online.
Au Pair is one of the best ways for foreign travelers, workers, and students to get an initial place to stay. Many people from foreign countries find it hard to get accommodation just after moving to a new destination. The United Kingdom offers a lot of Au Pair jobs that will not only help you to get a place to stay, but you will also get food and some pocket money.
You will need to take the help of the household or children when the host is busy or out. It is a nice way to stay in the country or have some money and look for different things like jobs, explore the country, and many more. You can take the help of online services to find Au Pair jobs for you.
Volunteering is one of the best options for eco-friendly travelers. It gives you the opportunity to help the country and keep the environment clean. There are plenty of volunteering jobs that you can take part in to get the best experience of traveling. Some of the best volunteering jobs in the country that you can do include teaching languages to the local people, collecting waste from the different locations with the local people, planting trees, helping the local people and the travelers from different places, and many more. It will also help you a lot to know more about the local people of the country and get close to them.