Eco-friendly travel guide to Burgas advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Burgas, Bulgaria.
- Air quality: 4 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4 / 5
- Public transportation: 4.5 / 5
- Parks: 4.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 4.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$35 - $350
- Budget per day: US$50 - $550
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
As a tourist, you should respect the cities you visit, and you need to mindful of the environment and some other things. Burgas is one of Bulgaria's most intriguing destinations and continues to top the list as the best place to live and visit in Bulgaria.
This city has been very famous since ancient times and is also known as a very romantic places to visit. Many couples visit the city and make unforgettable memories. There are many attractions in the city for the tourists. Burgas has so much to offer to its visitors, there are many great museums, parks, shopping malls, theatres, as well as some of the best beaches in the world. Also, it is considering the most romantic town in Bulgaria.
People who live in Burgas very careful about the environment. The streets of the city are very clean and tidy. Therefore, you need to be careful about your garbage and you should throw it only in special trashes. If you all want to do is chill out, there is no reason to be put off. There are many things to enjoy in Burgas to make your trip memorable and unforgettable. Some of them are given below:
- Go museum hoping: Visiting museums is the best way to learn about the country’s cultural traditions. Museums of Burgas are filled with the ancient history of the city. It has fascinating museums that explore contemporary designs and architecture. It also has a great collection of fossils, making it a fun and educational spot if you are traveling with kids.
- The festivals: Burgas is one of the happening cities in Bulgaria and is commonly called the festival city of Bulgaria. Many exciting and interesting festivals happen in the city. Every summer a variety of cultural festivals are organised in Burgas, which becomes the center of attraction of the city.
- The lakes and the birds: This city is surrounded by beautiful lakes and birds and is sometimes known as “the city of lakes and home of thousand birds”. Visiting the lakes with the chirping of birds around you will make your mood happy and pleasant.
- Buses and taxi services: The cheapest way to travel around the city is by bus. Fares of the buses can be paid in cash only. The buses of Burgas are quick, convenient, and affordable. Another convenient and easy way to roaming around the city is by using taxis. They stay active and ready to provide services 24/7. You can book a taxi at any time from any place in the city.
- Rent-a-bike facility: Burgas is one of the cities in the world that offers a rent-a-bike service. If you want to explore the city alone or with your partner you can hire a bike. For bikers, the roads of the city have a different lane. You can hire bikes by pre-purchased vouchers/cards or by sending a text message or via POS terminal.
Air Quality and Pollution
The air quality of Burgas is average. It is an acceptable level for people. Air quality is not harmful in terms of health but also, it does not have the perfect level of quality. However, if you think about living there for a long time, air quality can be a problem for you. In some parts of the city, air can lead to throat irritation, and burning in the eyes.
The wind in Burgas is usually moderate and the windiest months of the city are March, February, and September. The city has some humid months as well. It is best to visit Burgas in January as it the least humid month of the city. Also, in January the pollution level of the city is recorded lesser than in other months.
Respect the Culture
The city of Burgas is the fourth largest city in the country. Many people belong to different kinds of ethnicity and religions live together in Burgas. Therefore, tourists should respect all these people's beliefs and lifestyles. Burgas is enriched with full cultural traditions and is one of the most important cultural centers in Southeastern Bulgaria.
The people of Burgas are very generous and kind. The majority of the population in Burgas is Christian. But Muslims are also present as a minority and a minor population of the Jewish community is also present. Normal courtesies greet in the form of shaking hands. It is the tradition of people of this city to take some gifts for the host as a token of love and respect. As Burgas is the city of Bulgaria, the approved language of the city is Bulgarian. English, German, and Russian are also spoken in major tourist resorts and hotels.
Top 10 Places to Visit
- St. Anastasia Island: It is located 1.5 kilometers far from the beach. People can reach it by using a motorboat. There are traditional restaurants serve on the island.
- Sea Garden Parks: Many people prefer to spend time in the park. You can walk around the park with a green atmosphere or you can swim at the beach which is at the end of the park
- Galleria Burgas: It is the first place which is preferred by people for shopping. It has many different shops in which every person can find things which are appropriate for their own pleasure.
- Aleksandrovska Street: It is always crowded day or night. It is a very moving place in Burgas. Also, there are many elegant stores are located here so tourists prefer it.
- Burgas Post Office Building: It is a very old building. Therefore, it is a historical building and today it is still using as a post office. If you enjoy visiting historic buildings, you can choose.
- Burgas Train Station: One of the most beautiful train stations in Europe is in Burgas. It is another historical building like a post office. Even if you do not want to travel by train when you come to the city, you can visit the historical station.
- Expo Center Flora: This place is located in the Sea Garden where fun gala, conferences, professional gathering, cultural events, parties, weddings, and award ceremonies happen. The architecture of this building is interesting and fascinating that grabs tourist’s attention.
- Sea Casino Cultural Center: Located at the central alley of the cultural park, Sea Casino Cultural Center is another interesting place to visit. The building was revamped and opened in 2011 for locals and tourists.
- The Gramophone: It is an architectural monument of culture and is the iconic symbol of Burgas, which was designed by artist Rusi Stoyanov. The citizens of Burgas believe that when you turn the gramophone and listen carefully you will hear the name of the person you love.
- Mall Galeria Burgas: This place is the best for shopping. Mall Galeria Burgas is the biggest shopping mall on the Southern Black sea coast that has many branded shops as well as a number of local shops that offers the best material to buy.
You can explore the city by walking around. You can go around city parks and visiting historic places such as museums.
- Sea Garden: The sea garden is the most famous and the largest park in Burgas. It has a huge green area and additionally, it has a coastal side. It is a 72.000 square meter green area. The park includes a café, restaurant, and open-air theatre.
- Poda Protected Area: It is the first protected area in Bulgarian. The area is located on the migration route of the birds. The area takes the attention of many tourists. Tours are organized to promote the region. People who visit the park have a chance to observe different kinds of bird species.
- Park Slaveyvok: Another park in Burgas with a lot of fun activities is Park “Slaveyvok.” It is also known as the central park. It has an indoor botanical garden and different activities in this park.
- Sunset Aqua Park: It is a great entertainment water park in Burgas. It has 32 water slides with a range of facilities and entertaining performance places. This water park has something for all ages of the group.
- Aqua Neptun: Another great water park to visit in Burgas is Aqua Neptun. It has a separate kid’s area too with a lot of fun activities for kids.
- Amusement Park Prikazkite: This Park is located in the heart of Sea Garden in Burgas. This park has almost 30 activities/rides for the age of 2 to 18+.
Strandzha Nature Park is the main national park in the Bulgaria. The Nature Park lies on the territory of Strandzha Mountain which spreads in both Bulgaria and Turkey. The park comprises five nature reserves, fourteen protected areas, and eight natural landmarks.
Burgas has some of the most beautiful beaches with a great view of sunrise and sunset that attracts a number of tourists from all over the world. Some of the beaches of Burgas are given below:
- Pomorie Beach: Pomorie beach is known for its white sand. Beach is generally preferred by sailboats and yachts. In the beach area are made historical fishing and wine growing. The temperature is always warm. It is also very close to Varna, and the center of Burgas.
- Duni Beach: Duni Beach is famous for water sports especially; the beach is appropriate for windsurfing and kitesurfing. It has a 4 km coastline.
- Primorsko Beach: It can be thought that the history of the beach goes a long way back to the Bronze Age. It has a historical feel. There are many natural beauties as well as historical textures. The coastline is worth seeing. The sand on the beach and its sea is very clean.
- Sunny Beach: It is one of the most famous beaches in Burgas. It has very nice sand, looks gold. It is appropriate for watersports. Therefore, people can do different kinds of activities apart from swimming and sunbathe.
- Kavatsite Beach: This beach is located in the province of Burgas. This beach is beautiful yet clean and is safe for children. Many locals spend their holiday at Kavatsite Beach.
- Irakli Beach: The beautiful Irakli Beach is famous for its white clean sand. This beach is quite peaceful and is recommended for everyone who wants to spend their day at the beach to do relax.
- Veleka Beach: This beach is surrounded by beautiful nature and is best for swimming, sunbathing, and relaxing. Moreover, this beach has hand-crafted umbrellas and a cozy atmosphere.
There are some historical places which are landmarks in the city of Burgas. They are important for the native community. People use these areas for some activities and, they protect them. You can see some of them below list.
- Burgas Bridge: Burgas Bridge is one of the landmarks of the city. It had constructed in 1936. The bridge advances 300 meters into the sea.
- Troika Square: Square is used for concerts, festivals, and these activities. The middle of the square has a monument that represents the Soviet Soldier. It had constructed in 1953. Troika Square is a historical and important place in Burgas.
- St. Kiril and Methodius Church: The church, which is considered one of the symbols of the city, was built in 1907. It is accepted as one of the most important architectural buildings in the city. Named after the saints Cyril and Methodius, the building has a beautiful interior and exterior architecture.
- Archaeology Museum: Bulgaria's oldest statue is exhibited in this museum. It is thought to be from the 5th century BC. Also besides, there are many objects, pots, and gold artifacts belonging to the Greek and Roman empires in the museum.
- History Museum: The museum belongs to a century ago. It is exhibited by historical photographs, important documents, manuscripts, and some historical icons. All of them represent the history of Burgas. Also, some money and weapons which belong to the Ottoman period are on display.
- Etnografia Museum: The museum is located opposite the Church of Saints Cyril. The museum serves in a building built in 1873. Not only the exhibits inside the museum but also the building where the museum is located is historical. The city culture of Old Burgas can be seen in the museum. Traditional clothing collection and items are exhibited in the museum.
- Natural History Museum: In this museum, the natural diversity of Southeastern Bulgaria is displayed. You can have an idea about the natural richness and diversity of the region in the museum, which focuses on vegetation and bird fauna, and bird species. It is different from other museums in the city.
- Nature and Science Museum: is concerned with flora, fauna, subjects of medicine, physics, various thematic exhibitions. It is located at 30 Fotinov Street, and the working time is 10 am to 7 pm from Monday to Friday and 10 am to 6 pm on Saturday. In wintertime, the museums are closed on Saturday and Sunday. There are some galleries and some of them are Bogoridi, Briz - Boiadzhiev, and Petko Zadgorski Art Gallery.
Burgas has multi-ethnic culinary specialties which consist of a mix of Turkish, Balkan, and Greek influences. Some popular foods are:
- Shopska Salad which are Bulgarian salads containing fresh vegetables such as cucumbers, tomatoes, and also feta cheese, with a dressing made of either olive or sunflower oil spices with vinegar.
- Tarator which is a cucumber and yogurt soup is most times combined with walnuts, garlic, dill, and vegetable oil. It is served cold and during the really warm summertime.
- Bob Chorba which is a mint and herb soup usually served warm. It can be made with beans and onions and is considered a Bulgarian national dish.
There are plenty of eating places in Burgas and the summertime pubs and open-air restaurants set up by the sea. Kapanite is the name of the area containing many of these seaside food establishments.
Traditional Local Restaurants
- Glosh 3: It is the most popular restaurant specializing in Burgas national cuisine. People can try different kinds of Burgas taste there. It serves very various flavors, wines, and signature cocktails.
- Beograd Sırp Grill: The restaurant specializes in Serbian cuisine. It is known for its extensive grilled food. It has very talented chefs who are good at meat delicacies, stuffed fish, and vegetable dishes.
- Na Keya: The restaurant is always crowded in the evening because it is very close to the marine parks. It is known for its special fish dishes. Many tourists prefer to try delicious and different food there. Also, it has a great atmosphere to make relax people.
- Tenyova Kashta: It is one of the best places to meet the national cuisine of the region. The name of the restaurant can be translated as "Tenyova's House". It serves in a magnificent building that was built more than a century ago. People can prefer there not only tasting delicious food but also seeing its historical building. It is attracted to people with delicious food from all over Bulgaria.
- Incanto: This is an Italian restaurant and is concerned with pizza and international food. It has the delivery option and outdoor seating available.
- Happy Bar & Grill: is mostly concerned with barbecue, sushi, and European kinds of food, it contains a bar. It has the delivery option and outdoor seating available.
- 8 Mama’s: has a bar and deals mostly with seafood and Mediterranean dishes.
Vegetarian and Vegan
- Old Sailor: Old Sailor is one of the well-known restaurants in Burgas. It has a great variety of food. Especially, it is preferred because of its various vegan delicacies. Also, seafood pulls other people who are not vegan.
- Emona: Emona is another restaurant that has a huge menu for vegetarian and vegan people. It can be preferred by many vegan people safely. It is specialized in sea products. It has beautiful decoration alongside its meals.
Practically all enormous urban areas and towns are renowned for their variations of road nourishments. Burgas likewise has a rich convention and culture of offering amazingly scrumptious road nourishments. Here is a couple of them:
- Gulai Tikungan: It is a jam-packed road joint acclaimed for its hamburger cuts that are blended in with the absolute most wonderful flavors and rice. Discretionary stew sauces are additionally advertised.
- Fish: Located in North Burgas, you will adore the fish that is offered here in regular road food settings. The food is served in a modest tent and you positively will cherish it.'
- Hot dogs
There are a variety of drinks found in Burgas ranging from water, cocktails, beers.
The public water is found and considered safe to drink though bottled water is also an option.
There are lots of cafés and pubs in Burgas and some of them are:
- Alibi: is located in the Sea Garden, consists of a disco, commercial music, retro parties, black parties. It is open from 11 pm to 6 am.
- Broadway: is located at 6 Silistra Street and comprises a cafe & bar with a variety of cocktails. It is open from 7 am to 12 am.
- Caribe: is located in the North Beach, on the beach alley, open-air, seasonally in summer, bar & disco club, Latino and pop music, and is open from 9 am to 2 am.
- Silver Club: is located at 4 Svoboda Square, in front of the Municipality building, consists of a cafe & bar with a variety of cocktails and is open from 7 am to 2 am.
- Tequila: is located in the Sea Garden and is quite similar to the Alibi. It is open 11 pm to 6 am.
Some breweries in Burgas include
- The Brewery
- Papa Bear – Craft Beer Bar
- Metalhead Brewery
Burgas is the city offering a wide scope of spots to visit and luxuries to taste. With the absolute most astonishing entertainment meccas and traveling choices, the experience time that can be spent in the city is uncanny and unequaled. The surge of adrenaline in the blood will cause you to go insane while you make the most of your opportunity to the fullest in the city.
Thus, whenever you are finished with investigating the feel of the city and tasting its delights, you can surely visit the entertainment meccas for the adrenaline surge exercises like the ones recorded down for you:
- Water and Sand sport activities
- Carting Speedway
- Music festivals
- Watching movies at the cinema
- Seeing The Flora
Yoga and Retreats
Keeping the body and mind in tune is something that is readily in demand and Yoga retreats aid in these practices. Some Yoga retreats in Burgas are:
- Calla Retreat
- NatuRali Coffee & Yoga
- Yoga Burgas – Hridaya
This is not hard to obtain as there is an availability of hotels, hostels, and apartments readily accessible to tourists with respect to the duration of their visit.
Various hotels in Burgas contribute greatly to the eco-system and some of them are:
- Green Fort: is located on the northern side of Sunny Beach and is close to the beach and pine forest. The nightlife is spiced up with a variety of clubs, restaurants, and bars.
- Burgas Beach Resort Apartments: has a free parking space, is children friendly, has a pool, and also WiFi access.
- Grand Hotel & Spa Primoretz: It is close to the beach and is within walking range of shops and eateries. It is close to the airport, has WiFi access and sea views.
Hostels and Guest Houses
- Aqua Hotel: The theme of the Hotel is water. Therefore, all of the rooms are painted with blue color or its tone. It has a great indoor swimming pool which is also decorated with water and a blue theme. Also Besides, there are sea caps and mother-of-pearl designs in the decoration of the hotel by following under the theme. People generally like there for its decoration.
- Hotel Fors: It is one of its main distinguishing features is its harmonious rooms have a relaxing atmosphere and are dominated by warm coffee and cream tones. The hotel restaurant is designed based on traditions of past centuries and features restored wooden furniture with intricate carvings.
Some apartments in Burgas are:
- The Olive Green House
- Apartments Flora
- Luxury Apartments Burgas
Couchsurfing, when all is said in done, is decently another thought. Despite the fact that the comparison isn't free and is commonly related to having the spot to rest around night time and some other major necessities that are reliant on the mutual appreciation of the host and the guest, nonetheless, the best part is on the off chance that you go for
Couchsurfing you will be conceded the splendid event to know the traditions and culture of neighborhood individuals. Before you keep orchestrating, try to consider your host to make the stay shielded and merry. Try to be at your best and struggle to work up with their lifestyle to transform your visit into a fundamental capacity. In Burgas, couch surfing is made possible and easily accessibly using the website couchsurfing.com
There is a great availability of campsites and some are:
- Camping Neptun
- Camping Irakli
- Camping Zora
- Camping Silistar
- Offshore Camp
How to Get There
The city of Burgas can be accessed by:
Through the Burgas airport, International WizzAir, charter companies in the summertime (from May-September), and Internal flights to and from Sofia.
Burgas is easily accessible from every city in Bulgaria. There are the Domestic and the International bus lines.
Hitchhiking is possible in Burgas. Not on the highways but the regular roads. You still have to be careful and keep your belongings safe as well.
The port of Burgas operates mainly industrial ships.
Burgas can be easily accessed through:
This is cost-friendly and a responsible way of travel.
This is made easy due to the local bike rental system in the city.
Electronic vehicles are present in Burgas and there are charging stations for them as well.
Public transport consists of minibuses, buses, and trolleys that run regularly from 5 am to 11 am.
Tram, Train and Subway
Tram, trains and subways are all a part of the transport system in Burgas.
A trinket is one that we as a whole inquiry to purchase as a memory of the city visited. So while you investigate the city of Burgas, it is prudent to discover and get some neighborhood bits of workmanship for your loved ones. With the nearby market offering a wide scope of items, shopping in Burgas is genuine fun. From the beautiful kurtas to sparkly adornments, and a colorful scope of relics, one can purchase a scope of items to coordinate the need. There are various stores available for different varieties of shopping.
Food markets open a doorway to both local dishes and exotic foods. Some food markets in Burgas are:
- Slaveikov’s market
- Veleka market
- Municipal market
- Farmer’s exchange
- Burgas Market Ltd
Flea markets have their core establishment as a way of being accessible to the rural economy and low-income earners. A few of them are:
- Kableshkovo’s Street Market
- Commodity Markets
Second Hand Stores
Second-hand stores make items easily affordable and are cost-friendly, some of them include:
- Humana second-hand shop
- Automorgue Burgas
- Meisi-Stancheva Second-hand clothes shop
Stores that sell eco-fashion products aid in being eco-friendly and some are:
- Tom Tailor
- Massimo Dutti
There is an initiative called Burgas Recycles which was started to raise awareness about the benefits of recycling and how it positively affects the environment and though Burgas has not fully reached their set goal in terms of recycling, they are making an effort and that also matters.
The waste management and disposal in Burgas still needs improvement and public awareness is crucial to ensure a breakthrough.
Work and Study Abroad
Foreign students in Burgas can work part-time but students from countries not included in the European Union (EU) need to get a work permit to work.
Foreign and International students are welcome and accepted into Burgas Free University.
The concept of Au Pair has been accepted and is used in Burgas, it is easily accessible through the website www.greataupair.com
There are a lot of projects ongoing in Burgas that will greatly appreciate volunteering such as
- Animal shelters
- Renovation projects
- The Burgas for Children Association