Eco-friendly travel guide to Guatemala City advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Guatemala City, Guatemala.
- Air quality: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.5 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3 / 5
- Public transportation: 3 / 5
- Parks: 3.5 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.5 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3 / 5
- Safety: 3 / 5
- Accommodation: US$20 - $350
- Budget per day: US$40 - $500
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Guatemala City is one of the most prominent destinations of Central America and it is renowned specifically for being the capital city of the country of Guatemala. The city is additionally a major destination because it is the largest city in the country as well. The city is home to a population of over 1 million people and keeping in mind the enormity of the city and its prominence in the region, it does strike a perfect balance between work and play, often attracting scores of tourists on an annual basis. Collectively all of this does put a strain on the city’s natural resources and it also ends up polluting the environment as the city has rapidly developed on almost all fronts and it is home to some of the biggest global conglomerates right from the field of finance to the field of fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG). Thus, as a tourist, it is your responsibility to travel in a way that results in a minimum impact on the natural resources and does not contribute to the existing pollution. Hence, given in this section of the article are a few tips and tricks for you to follow and be a responsible traveller.
Firstly, it is constantly suggested that you as a traveller don't put your well-deserved cash legitimately into the pockets of the major aggregates and establishments. These are available in different fields be it clothing or food, you will consistently have a decision to make. Thus, you are recommended to shop from local stores, this way you will undoubtedly discover significantly more concealed jewels, choicest craftsmanship and valid Guatemalan products. Additionally, with regards to food items and fixings, take a stab at setting off to the neighbourhood markets and buy the freshest of produce. This way you will support the more modest sellers and advancing neighbourhood organisations that normally make progress toward sustainability instead of profitability.
Remembering the above-mentioned, as a capable traveller, monitor your dinners, it is prescribed that you head to the best neighbourhood eateries that serve the best Guatemalan cooking. Basically don't go for inexpensive food chains and worldwide baristas, these barely take into account the neighbourhood palette. Feasting at nearby cafés and road food trucks is maybe the most ideal approach to appreciate the true flavours and elements of the neighbourhood cooking in Guatemala City. In what could be named to sweeten the deal even further, you will likewise find the opportunity to taste a couple of unique dishes cooked utilising antiquated plans that are gone down through ages of the family.
As a traveller, one of the main considerations that add to your carbon impression is the sort of accommodation that you pick. Generally, most inns are following unreasonable practices and modest inns regularly are wasteful in the usage of their assets. In this way fix your endeavours in different circles when you are out travelling to a city as a mindful explorer. Hence, it is recommended that you generally give due idea to your accommodation decisions and book a lodging which is a guaranteed green/eco-accommodating inn. These frequently use the assets in the most ideal manner and offer you extravagance and solaces in a maintainable way.
Ultimately, investigating the city you travel to is maybe the greatest piece of your excursion. Consequently, it is crucial that you pick the most proficient method of investigating the city. This by and large suggests that you chase for the most reasonable and eco-accommodating methods for transportation. You could pick to stroll around, utilise a bicycle to explore the town, or you could even settle on different methods of public transportation that diminish clogging and energy utilisation overall. In the event that none of these are engaging have a go at utilising private methods of transportation which utilise electrical energy as the essential fuel source.
Air Quality and Pollution
Guatemala City is known to have a tropical savanna climate and as a result of this, you shall see that it is commonly warm, practically springlike, over the span of the year. It sporadically gets hot during the dry season, yet not as hot and moist as in Central American urban communities adrift level. The most sweltering month is April. The stormy season reaches out from May to October, agreeing with the typhoon and storm season in the western Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, while the dry season stretches out from November to April. The city can on occasion be breezy, which additionally prompts lower encompassing temperatures. The average high temperature throughout the year ranges between the mid-20 degree centigrades and the higher-20 degree centigrades range while the average low temperature throughout the year is known to be around the 15-degree centigrades mark. Hence, all tourists headed to Guatemala City need not worry about carrying their warm clothes, the climate is comfortable throughout the year and all you need are light coloured comfortable clothes and formals aren’t a necessity unless you plan on indulging in business here.
The air quality of Guatemala City does depend upon the weather to some extent, the months from May to October do bring about a decent amount of rainfall and this helps in bettering the air quality but otherwise, the air quality is known to be quite satisfactory, it is often ranging between average to good and any tourist headed to the city need not take special precautions. Much of this is commendable and applause-worthy as the city is a commercial, financial, and cultural hub which is home to over a million people. High levels of pollution should essentially be inevitable here but that isn’t quite the case. Any tourist travelling here can roam around freely and only those tourists who have breathing ailments might need their medication otherwise the Air Quality Index speaks for itself.
Respect the Culture
The convention of Guatemalan culture likewise reaches out to decorum. Guatemalans pay attention to titles (counting specialist or doctora for specialists and licenciado(a) for a lawyer or holder of a four-year college education). At whatever point conceivable, they should be utilized while tending to the person face to face or through correspondence. Ladies, as a rule, welcome men and each other with kisses in the air. Men will welcome companions with a handshake not the same as the standard business handshake. Holds will in general be firm. When meeting somebody unexpectedly, it's standard to state, "mucho fervor" (an abbreviated variant of "ideal to meet you"). Essentially saying "hola" is considered excessively easygoing. Different welcome incorporate "buenos días" (great morning), "buenas tardes" (great evening), and "buenas noches" (goodbye). Especially in rustic zones, individuals will welcome each other with one of these as they pass each other along the path, street, or road. In metropolitan settings, you'll frequently hear one of these welcome when somebody strolls into a position of business, for example, a specialist's office, for instance. Another custom is the utilization of "buen provecho" when strolling into an eatery where individuals are eating and "muchas gracias" after getting up from the table after a feast.
Guatemala is from multiple points of view a fairly formal and moderate nation, presumably attributable to its tradition of expansionism and its status as the primary base of local force for the Spanish frontier gentry. It's a very class-cognizant society, with great preparing, flawless dress, and tidiness anticipated. In numerous occurrences, the manner in which you look is how you'll be dealt with. You'll see this the first occasion when you go to a Guatemala City shopping centre (particularly on ends of the week) and see fashionable urbanites going for some espresso or taking off to see a film. Tennis shoes and shorts are viewed as excessively easygoing for some occasions outsiders would discover entirely satisfactory. This is beginning to change, nonetheless, and you'll additionally observe more youthful Guatemalans wearing shorts, T-shirts, and flip-flops average of the Abercrombie and Fitch look that is likewise fiercely famous with Guatemalan youth from affluent families. In the event that you plan on going out to move clubs, make certain to bring a decent pair of shoes, as you won't make it past the front entryway wearing shoes. A dress is considerably looser at the seashore or in the open country.
You'll discover most Guatemalans are warm and neighbourly. In numerous cases, they will be extremely inquisitive about you as an outsider, especially in zones that are as yet getting acclimated with the developing presence of gringo explorers. Metropolitan and rustic settings have to change levels of custom, however, graciousness and great habits are valued by Guatemalans from varying backgrounds and will get you far. There are not a ton of rules with regards to connecting with Guatemalans in their nation however on the off chance that you need to try not to annoy them, here is a little rundown:
- Try not to scrutinise the nation, this applies to any nation yet Guatemalans are VERY energetic and the vast majority have never gone outside so they don't have a receptive outlook with regards to discussing how things work in different spots. Any guiltless endeavour you may have at contrasting Guatemala with your nation or whatever other nation that would seem as though Guatemala isn't that acceptable would put on a show of being impolite.
- Try not to take pictures of Maya individuals without their assent. It is enticing as their conventional dresses are excellent and their looks might be extraordinary to you however you can outrage somebody or get in a difficult situation for this, consistently inquire as to whether the individual approves of this.
- Try not to discuss religion, most Guatemalans are strict, generally Catholic and Evangelical Christians, so evade any terrible remarks on religion.
- Put forth some attempt to talk nearby Spanish. You will have the option to get around fine with essential Spanish yet put forth an attempt to get familiar with some nearby slang and you will be promptly preferred. Guatemalans love outsiders to utilize their slang as we feel glad for it.
- On the off chance that you feel somebody is as a rule really quite welcoming you to a supper/party/dinner, attempt to not oddball the greeting in the event that you can join in. As referenced above, Guatemalans are inviting and pleased with the nation so in the event that they welcome you to something they truly mean it, they are holding nothing back from you to show you the way of life so reconsider prior to stating no.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Guatemala City is one of the most engrossing places for a tourist to visit in the country of Guatemala simply because of the importance that the city has had in its rich history and the architecture around, given in this section of the article are the top 10 places to visit in Guatemala City:
- Biblioteca Nacional: The ultra-advanced Biblioteca Nacional diverges from the pioneer architecture that can be seen on the opposite side of the square, and for which the city is popular. Efrain Recion (a muralist, stone carver, specialist, and draftsman acclaimed for building The National Theater of Guatemala) fabricated the library on the notable site of the Palacio de los Capitanes Generales. It houses theoretical solid reliefs and façade fill in just as containing more than 150,000 volumes of books and papers.
- La Bodeguita del Centro: This bohemian hang out offers an energetic and imaginative neighbourhood scene with extraordinary spots to get together with unrecorded music of each kind (rock, old-style, jazz, and that's just the beginning) from Tuesday to Saturday beginning at 9 p.m. With Che, Marley, Lennon, Van Gogh, and Neruda covering the dividers, go for verse readings, movies, gatherings and that's just the beginning. Likewise, the passage is generally liberated from Tuesday to Thursday, anyway a charge happens on Friday and Saturday evenings when food and beverages are served. For a comparative vibe, go for a short stroll to Pasaje Rubio, a well known and shifted passerby zone and an old French-style arcade (work in 1926). It takes into account each close to home and music taste and overflows with adornments shops, old libraries and El Portalito, the acclaimed home base of Noble Prize-winning essayist Miguel Ángel Asturias just as Che Guevara, Fidel Castro, and Pablo Neruda.
- Mapa en Relieve: Adventure through Parque Minerva (simply a fast stroll from Parque Central) to get a brief look at this monstrous outside geological guide of Guatemala. It is at an amazing 1:10,000 scale, with overstated vertical volcanic pinnacles and peaks to show up drastically higher and abrupt than they genuinely are. Built in 1905 under Fransisco Vela, the guide was completely repainted and reestablished in 1999 and review towers were developed to give all-encompassing perception. Albeit a little charge is mentioned, the public cases it merits the value particularly to play "spot Belize", as the guide actually speaks to it as a piece of the nation. An incredible spot for youngsters, or a decent spot to begin your Guatemalan experience, the alleviation map is an intriguing site to help give you the lay of the land, and particularly suggested for those keen on map-making of any kind.
- Museo Nacional de Arqueología y Etnología: Home to the nation's biggest assortment of antiquated Maya curios, Museo Nacional de Arqueología y Ethnología contains wooden lintels from sanctuaries at Tikal and El Zots, jade gems and covers, just as stupendous stone figures including a seat and creature portrayals from Preclassical Kaminalijuyú. The archaeology area holds an enormous scope model of Tikal, the ethnography segment comprises of language, devour, dance, masks, and home showcases of the indigenous people groups of Guatemala. Outside of the gallery, there are cut columns encompassing an excellent wellspring in a covered arcade. It's in closeness to the Modern Art and Science galleries also in case you're searching for additional refined, yet make certain to get the nearby rebate: the vacationer cost is a decent sum heftier, yet pictures are permitted and free (in contrast to numerous other Guatemalan historical centres in the zone).
- Metropolitan Cathedral: Otherwise called the Cathedral of Guatemala City and a milestone of Guatemalan strictness, The Metropolitan Cathedral is situated in the core of the city. The inside plan comprises chiefly of pioneer workmanship from the antiquated capital of Santiago de los Caballeros (Antigua) after the city tumbled to a quake. It was modified somewhere in the range of 1782 and 1815 in Guatemala, after which the culmination of the pinnacles and blue vault took 50 years. The inside mirrors the type of the Latin cross with five naves and two principle sanctums. Along the focal nave sit fourteen works of art by seventeenth-century Mexican craftsman Pedro Ramirez, alongside sculptures of holy people, for example, Saint Fernando King of Spain and San Louis King of France protected (alongside raised areas) from the first church in Antigua. The 12 columns legitimately before the church, serve as an accolade for the killings and vanishings of thousands of individuals during the common battle between 1960-1966.
- Iglesia La Merced: Iglesia La Merced, a lime-based yellow-painted church and religious circle built in the year 1918, in neoclassical style, and it contains gold-plated Baroque raised areas from the first church in Antigua, Guatemala. La Merced additionally includes San Judsas Tadeo's altarpiece with flawlessly embellished silver. At the point when Justo Rufino Barrios nationalised this congregation, it changed into the central command of the National Police. Anyway, it was reestablished in 1999 and now exists as a four-room exhibition hall with artistic creations, strict sculptures constantly, and an organ cited as the most resonating in the entirety of Guatemala, all of which date from the seventeenth and nineteenth century. An accomplishment of frontier workmanship, this shocking church is an absolute necessity.
- Palacio Nacional de la Cultura: Situated on the north side of Parque Central sits the compositional and memorable recognition that is the Presidential Palace. Worked somewhere in the range of 1936 and 1943, with its intermix of Spanish styles (from Renaissance to neoclassical), Palacio Nacional is indeed the third royal residence to sit in this area. Authorized by the scandalous tyrant General Jorge Ubico, who constrained detainees to assemble this site, it currently stands deprived of its administrative workplaces as a historical centre open to the general population and an objective of formal occasions. The stain-glass banquet corridor, decorated with recoloured glass boards, incidentally speaks to the temperances of good government. Make certain to locate the official overhang and the Patio de la Paz in the western yard, in which a landmark of two tremendous metal hands connote the marking of the Guatemalan Peace Accords of 1996. In the event that you end up being there at 11 a.m., the military gatekeeper changes the rose held in the hands every day and the old one is thrown to a female onlooker.
- Museo Ixchel de Traje Indigena: Opposite Popol Vuh, Museo Ixchel de Traje Indigena has an inconceivable assortment of Guatemalan materials and is appropriately named after the Mayan Goddess of the moon, ladies, propagation, and materials. The gallery displays an immense assortment of indigenous dress, artworks and photos of the lavishness of conventional Mayan culture and good country towns. The gallery likewise has enhancements for explorers with handicaps, a kids' segment, a bistro, library, and a shop that bolsters the weavers from around the nation who keep on the creation of local materials. The gallery educates guests regarding the historical backdrop of the garments, patterns and creation just as portraying Mayan and unfamiliar impact on the nation's set of experiences. This very much planned exhibition hall likewise includes a craftsmanship display first floor, and guided visits are additionally accessible higher up in English or Spanish.
- Museo Popol Vuh: An excellent modern art gallery enveloping a progression of topical rooms that record phases of Guatemalan culture and history, Museo Popol Vuh exists inside the Fransisco Marroquin University. Its little size actually figures out how to house unpredictable presentations displaying pre-Hispanic dolls, incense burners, cut wooden veils, internment urns, conventional materials, and other archaeological Mayan ancient rarities. The exhibition hall likewise contains provincial artistic creations, plated wood, and silver ancient rarities that give a false representation of the nation's strict history. It sits opposite the Ixchel Native Costume Museum, so in the event that you intend to have a culture pressed morning or evening, hit both. In any case, before you head over to Ixchel, make certain to look at the work of art of the Guatemalan victory in the downstairs of this social jewel (which likewise has sufficiently bright, bilingual showcases).
- Guatemalan National Theater and Miguel Ángel Asturias Cultural Center: A re-appropriated military fortification transformed into a social wonderland in 1987, looking like the volcanoes which encompass it, Teatro Nacional lies in the core of the city and contains five edifices, an astonishing perspective on the city and Civic Centre, magnificent acoustics and all things everywhere from plays to ballet performances to shows. In the vision of its draftsman, Efrain Recions, the show-stopper is motivated by Mayan culture and offers an outside, chamber and fundamental theatre, just as a Museum of Old Fort of San José which obliges a little military historical centre home to an imitation of the primary braced Mayan city of Mesoamerica: Punta de Chiminios. The National School of Art and The National Cultural Radio likewise work from the bounds of this complex.
Guatemala City is the capital of the country and it is without a doubt that one can find numerous attractions to visit here. In this section of the article, some of these attractions are listed, based on their classification.
Guatemala City is quite a green city and it is home to some of the most beautiful parks. Given below are a few of these parks that you can visit for a stroll, some peace and tranquility:
- Jardin Botanico
- CANALITOS Central Park
- San Sebastián Park
Guatemala City is an interesting city which doesn’t exactly have national parks at the heart the city but they are rather situated at a short distance from the city. A journey to some of these national parks shall take a few hours or result in a day trip at best:
- Naciones Unidas
- Tikal National Park
Guatemala City is a landlocked city and this implies that any tourist visiting the city shall not have access to beaches.
Some of the most popular landmarks that you can visit in Guatemala City are listed below:
- Iglesia La Merced
- Palacio Nacional de la Cultura
- Metropolitan Cathedral
Some of the most popular museums to visit in Guatemala City to understand the rich history and culture of the local people are:
- Museo Nacional de Arqueología y Etnología
- Museo Ixchel de Traje Indigena
Guatemalan cuisine is renowned for being delicious and most dishes are loved by tourists and locals alike. The food found in the capital city is bound to be authentic Guatemalan food and the flavours here are rich and the dishes aren’t easy to cook, hence, given below are some of the most popular dishes that you can enjoy here:
- Noodle tostadas
- Chicken pepián
Traditional Local Restaurants
Knowing some of the popular dishes in Guatemala City from the above section, it is now inevitable to list out the most popular Guatemalan restaurants in town to enjoy these authentic dishes:
- Portal del Angel
- Hacienda Real
Vegetarian and Vegan
Those tourists who are truly conscious of the environment and extend their eco-friendly approach to their dietary preferences as well can enjoy some vegan food at the following restaurants in Guatemala City:
- Saúl L’Osteria
- Tamarindos Bistro
- Restaurante Rey Sol
- Arbol de la Vida
In numerous streets of Guatemala City, you will discover wieners or mixtas. The Guatemalan franks are classified "shukos", they are not quite the same as the American sausage. The shukos are accompanying an extraordinary sort of bread, inside they add guacamole and the coleslaw plate of mixed greens is prepared with vinegar and flavours, the wiener is barbecued in charcoal fire. The best spot to attempt the shukos and appreciate the entire activity of selling the shukos in a sort of drive-through powerful is in Hot Dogs El Chino. The mixtas are another alternative. It has all the elements of the franks however rather than bread they use corn tortillas. The first "Mixtas Frankfurt" are the most well-known mixtas in Guatemala City. These are not in a food truck on the streets of Guatemala, they went to the following level and have a little café where you can appreciate them. Open since 1930, Frankfurt is one of the nostalgic spots for Guatemalans.
The people of Guatemala City love their beverages and irrespective of them being alcoholic or non-alcoholic. Hence, in this section of the article the top 10 beverages to try in the city are listed out:
- Limonada con Soda
- Victoria Beer
Despite being the capital city of Guatemala, one certainly cannot open any tap and drink water out of it in Guatemala City. One either has to look for purified drinking water at restaurants or common places or simply rely on bottled mineral water.
Some of the popular organic cafes to indulge in a sustainable meal in Guatemala City are:
- El Mercadito de Lola
- Mýkonos Del Griego
Listed below are some of the most popular breweries in town to grab a pint of fresh beer:
- La Barra
- Ixbal Artesanal Brewing
- Central American Brewery Atlantico
Guatemala City shall provide you plenty of offbeat experiences, so as a tourist you could indulge in trekking some ancient Mayan ruins, you could jump off a rope swing, take a dip in the turquoise pools, hike to the active volcanoes in the city, you could also row in peace in the calm Lake Atitlan and lastly you can perhaps even see some thermal activity.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga is extremely popular in Guatemala City and it doesn’t matter if you are a newbie or highly experienced, it is recommended that you head to some of the most popular yoga retreats and enjoy a soul calming yoga session, some options that you can choose from are:
- Ananda Yoga Studio Guatemala
- Akasha Yoga
- Mystical Yoga Farm
Being the capital city of Guatemala, you can be assured that there is no dearth of accommodation here for all types of travellers. You have various forms of accommodation based upon your budget and needs, given in the sections below are details about the same, in brief.
Some of the green hotels in Guatemala City that offer sustainable accommodation without impacting the environment are:
- Hotel Ever Green Guatemala
- Eco Suites Uxlabil Guatemala City
- Barceló Guatemala City
- Westin Camino Real
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels are often a great option for young tourists and those on a budget, some popular options in Guatemala City are:
- Tequila Sunrise Bed & Breakfast
- Hostal Los Volcanes
- Central 10 Boutique Hostel
There are thousands of apartments on rent in Guatemala City that tourists can opt from. These offer more privacy, they are reasonably priced and are often a great choice for those looking to avoid high hotel tariffs and for those who are travelling in larger groups. You can choose to rent an apartment from any of the biggest trustworthy online portals as they do not require you to execute the monetary transactions in person and 24x7 support is also offered.
Much like the apartments, Couchsurfing is also an option for solo tourists looking to stay with a host. Popular Couchsurfing websites and portals have thousands of listings all you have to do is pick a suitable host, confirm the dates, and head there. Make sure you comply with the rules set by your host, try and help out with some chores and at the end of your stay, make sure you give your host a small token of appreciation.
A couple of hours' drive from Guatemala City with great connectivity interfacing it to the remainder of the nation, Lake Atitlan is seemingly one of the most excellent and loosening up spots around. Lake Atitlan is an extraordinary spot for the ultimate experience. There is kayaking, scuba plunging, climbing, zip-lining, mountain trekking, and even untamed life spotting at the Reserva Natural Atitlan. This is quintessentially the perfect venue for camping, so make sure you pick up your camping gear and pitch a tent at some of the most popular spots around.
How to Get There
Reaching Guatemala City from any major destination across the globe isn’t an issue since it is the capital city and well connected by all possible means of transportation, these are discussed in brief in the following sections.
Revamped and extended, La Aurora International Airport is in the south of the downtown area. La Aurora fills in as Guatemala's chief air hub. La Aurora International Airport is situated in Zona 13. Guatemala City is all around associated with the North American territory.
There are buses from encompassing Central American nations. San Salvador, El Salvador and Panama City are associated with Guatemala City by a solid organisation of buses. Most towns and urban communities of Guatemala are associated with Guatemala City by these buses as well.
Guatemala City doesn’t really have an active rail network that you can rely on transportation to the city.
Hitchhiking your way to Guatemala City isn’t really an issue as there are quite a few people who shall happily give you a ride, for free or sometimes for a minimal fee but this can be risky as gringos are an easy target to loot, so it is best avoided.
Beyond the above-listed means of transportation there aren’t any other options for you to choose from.
The capital city of Guatemala surely does boast of a good transportation network and you can travel to all corners of the city via different means of transport, these are discussed in the following sections.
Walking around Guatemala City is truly scenic and fulfilling but the rush needs to be taken into consideration, also some parts of the city are unsafe to stroll, so make sure you avoid wandering off and restrict walks to the daytime only.
Renting a cycle and exploring the city is a great eco-friendly option, however, all parts of the city cannot be peddled to and the lack of dedicated cycle lanes in many areas does make the endeavour unsafe.
There isn’t much development in the field of electric vehicles in Guatemala. Hence, you won’t have access to electric vehicles, especially for rental purposes.
A BRT (bus rapid transit) framework called Transmetro, comprising of specific reason paths for high-limit transports, started working in 2007, and meant to improve traffic stream in the city through the usage of a productive mass travel framework. You can also go by the 'preferencials' (marginally costly yet more agreeable) or 'corrientes' (less expensive) or by minibusses or vans. It may take you some time to become acclimated to the framework as it is genuinely disrupted. The drivers appear to have a self-destructive streak – don't stress, simply close your eyes and cling to your seat.
Tram, Train and Subway
At present there isn’t an active rail network within the city but a light rail transportation system has been proposed and is in the works.
Sustainable shopping is a focal piece of each eco-friendly adventurers' excursion. Shop from local stores in the event that you wish to take a couple to get back some legitimate craftsmanship and avoid polluting and greedy insatiable supermarkets. This is essential as you can sincerely add to the near to economy and with no help, also you can bargain a hit to unquenchable cash chiefs.
Guatemala City is known for some astounding food markets where you can get new produce, a not many that you can investigate are recorded underneath:
- Mercado Santa Ana
- El Market - Productos Naturales
- El Mercadito Coco
Flea Markets are an incredible spot to get knickknacks and gifts at expendable costs, some are recorded beneath:
- Mercado Central
- Mercado La Maya
Second Hand Stores
Second hand stores in Guatemala City are very well known among deal trackers who wouldn't fret items all around great however a small amount of the rate, so celebrated stores are:
- Plus Moda
- Mi Pakita Plus
Eco-fashion is bit by bit picking up over the globe and Guatemala City isn't excessively far behind with socially mindful fashion brands and stores, some of which are:
- NAF NAF
- Eco Bags
Recycling in Guatemala City isn’t very efficient and tourists need to often go to great lengths to ensure that their trash is recycled and not dumped into a landfill by local authorities.
Much like the recycling, waste collection is poor in Guatemala City, with most of the waste being dumped in public areas and waste isn’t often segregated as well.
Work and Study Abroad
Guatemala City is an amazingly well-known city and it pulls in scores of understudies and working experts on a yearly premise because of the presence of a few reputed universities and various openings for work.
Being a student from abroad in Guatemala City is extraordinary, this is encouraged through different government projects and grants being advertised.
While the possibility of an Au Pair hasn't been too famous in the city, a few inhabitants are ready and you absolutely can attempt your luck through different online postings.
Volunteering in is an outstanding method to give back to society and you could chip in for cleanups, social assistances, good causes, or restoration of survivors of different sorts. You should simply search for the open door with the correct sort of association.