Eco-friendly travel guide to Recife advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Recife, Brazil.
- Air quality: 4 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 3.8 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.9 / 5
- Public transportation: 3.8 / 5
- Parks: 4 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.8 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.8 / 5
- Safety: 3.8 / 5
- Accommodation: US$1500 - $1600
- Budget per day: US$1100 - $1200
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
The capital city of Pernambuco, Recife is one of the most popular traveling destinations. The vibrant culture, the restaurant scenes as well as the intriguing historic center of Recife Antigo makes the city one of the most hyped Brazilian cities. Well, if you do not know about the Recife Antigo, then it is one of the impressive coastal settings. Here, you will find crowded commercial areas, huge traffic well as extensive suburbs. Therefore, if you love a city having a gutsy and gritty lifestyle, then Recife is no doubt one of the best places for you. As a responsible traveler, make sure to indulge in various eco-friendly practices. From beautiful museums to the best art galleries, city parks, and national parks, you will find some amazing things to explore. Besides, the outstanding beauty of the city is something that attracts thousands of tourists from around the world. Being a developed city, you will find some amazing provisions that are made for responsible traveling. Let us check out some of the necessary steps that you must follow while enjoying a sustainable trip in Recife.
- Choose the electronic buses to commute instead of those that run on gas. These pollution-free buses are a government initiative towards the city to maintain the pollution levels in the city. Besides, unlike the normal buses, they are affordable and comfortable to travel in. Also, these buses do connect every corner of the city. Thus, making it one of the best options to support eco-friendly traveling.
- You will find various other vehicle options that are easy on pocket like electric rickshaws. These vehicles are either run by the locals or the government. It is one of the sustained initiatives towards the environment. Moreover, these vehicles are quite compact as well as small, which means they can easily travel to small alleys. As the locals drive these, they know about every route and are a good source of income.
- In case you have a valid license, you can opt for renting them. Besides, you will get options for both four-wheelers as well as two-wheelers. As long as you stay in the city, you can hire a vehicle.
- Some other step that you must follow while doing responsible traveling is supporting the local businesses.
- Invest in souvenirs or clothing items from the local shops.
- Make sure to taste the local foods and for accommodation, always choose green hotels for staying.
- Do not forget to visit the city or the national parks
Air Quality and Pollution
Fortunately, the air quality of Recife is no doubt good, which makes it easy for travel enthusiasts to enjoy a memorable vacation. The weather remains good throughout the air and the pollution levels stay moderate to good. If you want to avoid air pollution, then make sure to enjoy various outdoor activities. However, if you have severe health conditions, follow safety guidelines. For example, if you have breathing troubles or lung infections, then use a mask or stay indoors most of the time. Long-term exposure to smoke might create problems. September to October is the best time to visit Recife. During this time, the weather remains in a good condition. Try to avoid months from December to March as this is the summertime and you do not want to visit Recife during this time. It is because the temperature remains high and humidity levels exceed the limit. Also, make sure to avoid the daytime for enjoying the city and its whereabouts due to the uncomfortable climate. The government here took exclusive initiatives for the locals as well as the tourists to cherish a comfortable vacation.
Respect the Culture
Brazil features one of the most popular as well as the richest cultures. It is impossible to describe the Brazilian culture without narrating the history behind it. From crucial events to the revolts in history, everything is necessary to heighten the culture. The indigenous cultures of the Indians, Portuguese, as well as Africans, together formed the Brazilian culture. Portuguese culture is by far one of the dominant groups that influence the Brazilian culture., Therefore, you will find that most people n Recife mostly speak Portuguese language and, their religion, as well as customs, are the same as the Portuguese. You might know that Brazilian culture is all about the love for dance and music. Regularly various festivals take place throughout the cities that makes the Brazilian culture one of the most popular and cherishing countries. It has an enormous diversity of religious beliefs and the extraordinary variations began from migration as well as slavery. However, you will find that the locals mostly follow Catholicism. Most people you come across in the city are quite friendly and help you to explore the local cultures. Surprisingly, you will get to find a lot about the local cultures, the daily habits they follow as well as the food culture. From nightclubs to exclusively known restaurants, you will find everything here. However, it is best if you no make any one-sided political comments as it might offend the sentiments. If you want to make a mark in the hearts of the locals, then you can offer candies or souvenirs to the locals. Also, do not forget to respect the women while interacting with them. Avoid flirting with them directly.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Famous by the name ‘Venice of Brazil’, Recife is famous for the abundance of waterways as well as the picturesque beauty. Most travel enthusiasts consider Recife as one of the touristic commercial powerhouses. Therefore, it is undoubtedly one of the must-visit places and every year thousands of travel enthusiasts come here. From carnival parades to striking nightlife, everything makes Recife one of the worth visiting cities.
- Explore the sister city, Olinda- As already mentioned, Olinda is one of the sister cities, which is a few miles away from Recife. The city is famous for pastel-colored houses, colonial churches, and much more. People who love digging deep into the cultures of any place might find it interesting to explore the city. Besides, you will find many UNESCO World Heritage Sites here.
- Check out the Culture House- When planning for a vacation, make sure to explore Casa da Cultura. It is a stunning artisanal marketplace that was built out of a prison. Here, you will be able to witness different contemporary as well as traditional music programs, especially in the evening.
- Spend a day in the old city- Although it is not as beautiful as Olinda's but is too beautiful. Here, you will mostly find imposing architecture as well as imposing architecture. Some of them includes Praca de Republica, Catedral de Sao Pedro dos Clerigos, Teatro Santa Isabel, etc. The old city area of Recife is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places and none of the travel enthusiasts miss out on this place.
- Cherish the beauty of majestic castles- It might not be medieval but Instituto Ricardo Brennand is the home to one of the most beautiful castles in the city. Here, you will find historic reminiscences like swords, armor suits, and other knightly paraphernalia.
- Spend a day at the Boa Viagem Beach- One of the best parts of visiting any Brazilian city is the beach. Among the other beaches, Boa Viagem Beach is one of the most popular ones. Sandy beach, crystal clear water, and peaceful surroundings are something that attracts thousands of tourists from around the globe.
- Visit Ricardo Brennand Institute- A stately place for the art as well as history exhibits, Ricardo Brennand Institute is one of the recommended places for tourists. Moreover, if you love finding out about the art and historical backgrounds of any place, then make sure to visit Ricardo Brennand Institute.
- Explore the Mirabilandia- It is one of the most popular amusement parks that you will come across in the city. From a wide range of rides to beautiful scenic beauty, the place is no doubt one of the best places to spend a good time with your loved ones.
- Visit Marco Zero Square- It is a vibrant public square, which is solely made for events as well as artworks. Almost every day various programs are arranged here, which you can witness to find out about the Brazilian culture. You will be mesmerized by the exclusive work of the artists.
From museums, national parks, and city parks to beaches, you will find a wide number of tourist attraction places that are worth visiting. If you want to explore every nooks and corner of Recife, then it is necessary to find out more in detail about the places.
- Jaqueira Park- Considered as one of the best city parks, Jaqueira is one of the best places to hang out with your friends. The exclusive picnic gardens attract thousands of locals. Moreover, you will also find jogging tracks as well as biking tracks. If you want to take a break from the hustle of the city, it is undoubtedly one of the best places for sure.
- Parque Estadual de Dois Irmãos- Although it is more like a zoo botanical park, the locals consider it as the city park for relaxing. Expansive forest reserve along with a running zoo as well as a natural science museum, Parque Estadual de Dois Irmaos is no doubt a good place for relaxing.
- Parque Dona Lindu- It is more like a family-friendly place and here you will find various activities to do. Imagine how you would feel walking through a huge sea-facing park. Here, you will find a particular place where people come for practicing various physical activities.
- Bosque de Pau-Brasil- Being a national park, here you will get the opportunity to view some unique species as well as flora. Besides, you can come here for enjoying a memorable time with your loved ones. Bosque is no doubt peaceful; thus, making it a suitable place for spending time.
- Boa Viagem Beach- The only beach in the city, Boa Viagem Beach is one of the popular beaches, which is visited by thousands of travelers from around the world. Clear blue water and sandy beaches are something that you will love immensely.
- Monumento a Restauração Pernambucana- Considered as a historical landmark, this is one of the most popular landmarks that you will come across in Recife. For reaching any nearby places in the city, you can definitely consider it as the important landmarks.
- Pernambuco State Museum- Congratulations to the administration of the museum as they maintain the museum perfectly without any delay. It is one of the well-preserved museums that you will find throughout the city. Here, you will find mind-blowing artworks of some of the popular artists. Most of the artworks heighten the Dutch era. Apart from that, you will find sculptures and sketches.
- Recife City Museum- If you want to know about the history of Recife, then make sure to visit the Recife City Museum. With the informative displays and supportive staff, it is one of the popular museums in the city.
Brazil is undoubtedly one of the most popular countries when it comes to exploring the food culture. Larger cities always boast unique culture, massive nightlife, and most importantly, a versatile food culture. Since most of the Brazilian dishes features some of the delicious delectable that are worth trying. From barbequed meat to tasty veg dishes, you will get everything here. The foods that you will get here are made with ethnic backgrounds. For example, some of the common dishes that you will get there belong to the Brazilian diet. For example, rice, beans, root vegetables, etc. Apart from that, you will get the opportunity to try out meat, fish, and poultry. The national dish of Brazil is fejioda, where you will get a big bean stew. It is made with meat, black beans, and other condiments. Besides, rice is considered a dietary staple although you can get fried rice balls. These are some of the popular dishes and drinks that you must try, you will come across many opinionated dishes too that is a must-try as well. Let us just consider Barbequed meat as one of the most popular dishes. This dish is claimed as South America’s barbeque champion. Even though every country has a different approach to meats, like the cuts and the compliments, few things always remain the same. If you come to Recife, you will find that this dish is prepared with a unique sense of decoration. The meat is prepared with coarse salt and then it is grilled until it turns pink. Next, tops the list is Moqueca. It looks more than just a normal fish stew and is served with a theatrical flourish. You will get a piping hot clay pot. Although Baianos and Capixabas claim that the dish originated there, it is still not clear. The dish is made of sea fish stewed with diced tomatoes, pepper, and coconut oil. Moqueca is teamed with rice and farofa. Brigadeiros is yet another one of the most popular Brazilian dishes that you must try in Recife. This immensely delicious dish is no doubt one of the most favorite food items for the locals. It is made by simmering condensed milk with cocoa powder and then whisking the mix with butter. Later on, it is then rolled into balls and topped with sprinkles. Make sure to try this dish if you are traveling to Recife.
Traditional Local Restaurants
- Cumu de Mainha- One of the most popular traditional restaurants in the city, Cumu de Mainha is no doubt a worth place to eat out. The exclusive varieties of dishes that you will get here are no doubt delicious. From a wide range of non-veg dishes to vegan dishes, you will get various options. Besides, the staff here is quite friendly and can guide you in the right way with your choices.
- Restaurant Leite- It is a charming and old-fashioned restaurant that mostly serves Portuguese food as well as other local delicacies. The European aristocracy that you will find in the restaurant is undoubtedly cherishing. Coming to the food quality, the dishes that you will get here are worth trying. The prices are not too high, which makes it one of the recommended restaurants.
Vegetarian and Vegan
- Bigode Verde Vegan Food- The best part of visiting the Brazilian cities is you get to try the wraps and tortillas. If you love trying out them, then opt for the Bigode Verde Vegan Food. The unbelievably healthy vegan options like the Falafel Wrap and Fejioada are some of the most popular dishes. Prices are extremely pocket friendly and thus it is definitely recommended.
- Vegostices- Although you fight face difficulties in searching for the place, it is worth visiting vegan restaurants. Here you will get options for veg burgers, salads, soups, and much more. The best part is here you will get fresh food that is served without rushing. Apart from that, you will get juices and coffee as well.
- Mandioca Frito- Also known as yuca, Mandioca Frito is one of the most popular staples of Brazilian cuisine. Brazilians consider it as one of the crucial sources of carbohydrates and it makes a perfect snack food for enjoying with drinks, especially beer. The main ingredient of cassava chips is exotic, but it is at times made with guise.
- Bolinhos de Bacalhau- The dish translates directly from the Portuguese dish ‘cakes of cod’. Being one of the most popular dishes of Brazil, it is found in restaurants, bars, as well as on the streets. It comes with a crispy golden coating on the outside and a smooth mix of cod and potato. Locals of Recife have an immense love affair with the Portuguese heritage. Thus, they love trying out this famous appetizer.
- Kibe- Although Kibe originated from the Middle East, the dish made almost a secure place amidst Brazilian cuisine. It is made with minced onions, beef, and bulgur wheat. Later on, this mixture is shaped into small patties. Although different meats are used in different countries, Brazilians only use minced beef.
If you truly want to experience the Brazilian culture in Recife, then the best thing that you can do is explore the local delicacies. You have already found out about the local dishes; however, your vacation will remain incomplete if you do not try out the local drinks. You will be surprised to know that Brazilians love enjoying the simple yet delicious drinks that will blow your mind. From teas, juices, to spirits and coffees, you will get everything here. Therefore, you can experience some amazing taste. Even though the international community knows not much about the international community, you will find uncountable drinks to try.
Coffee is one of the most popular drinks that tops the list. Brazilians are addicted to coffee. However, the one thing that you will have to be careful about is from where you are buying it. For example, normal restaurants will offer a standard quality coffee drink; however, if you drink coffee from bakeries, then you will get the real taste of Brazilian coffee. Make sure to enjoy black coffee wherever you are going since it is the most popular one.
Vitamina is yet another one of the famous drinks that Brazilians love trying out daily. It is a fruit smoothie made with milk and sugar as well as some delicious foods. Considering the health benefits, the two most popular food items that are used are banana and granola. When it comes to Brazil, avocado is consumed sweet and just like a savory item.
Guarana is yet another one of the popular Brazilian drinks that you must try if you are traveling to Recife. Although caipirinha is considered the national cocktail of Brazil, the locals love the popular caffeinated quencher guarana soda. A soft drink is made using fruits that are found in the Amazon forest. Rich in energy, this fruit tastes delicious and is rich energy. Besides, the fruit is used to make various fresh fruit juices.
The tap water quality of Recife is moderate. In some areas, the locals use tap water for drinking and for brushing teeth, whereas there are some areas where the water is contaminated and strictly undrinkable. Therefore, being a tourist you are suggested to ask the locals about the tap water before opting to fill your bottles or drink it directly. Further, you can use the bottled or mineral water that is easily available in shops and restaurants in the region of Recife.
- Malakoff Café – Situated in Avenida Abdias de Carvalho in Recife, this café is known for serving delicious Brazilian cuisine besides treating it as a café. The café houses a museum where the exhibits change regularly. It offers a variety of coffee brewing methods, from French press to Aeropress. The ambiance is charming and welcoming. The atmosphere is filled with the aroma of coffee beans. You can consider visiting this place to spend a great time for lunch, dinner, and brunch. The quality is tremendous and the price is reasonable too.
- Tokyo’s Café – This beautiful café is located in Avenida Doutor Malaquias in Recife. Besides serving as a café, they also offer a variety of menu options that include Brazilian, Diner, and South American cuisines. The pastries served here are the specialty of the café and are definitely a must-try. They serve excellent coffee that is not only famous among the tourists, but a huge crowd of locals also visit this place. With decent décor and remarkable service, this café is a good place to spend your time with friends and family. The atmosphere is calm and cozy. The price is affordable too.
There is such a specific brewery in the town of Recife. But there are several pubs, clubs, and restaurants where you would get to taste a variety of beer options including famous Brazilian beers.
Besides holding great sites of tourist attraction, the region of Recife offers several activities that the tourist or visitors can enjoy during their vacation period in the town. You can enjoy visiting the Mirabilandia, an amusement park in north-eastern Brazil. This park offers several rides for children and adults, which is definitely a great place to have all the fun. Next, you can go for a picnic with friends and family to the Botanical Garden of Recife. This place holds exhibits and walking trails that lead to some amazing sites of different plant species and other flora. Further, you can visit Jaqueira Park, which is the largest in Brazil. You can go biking, skating, and other outdoor activities inside the park. In addition, the park has a playground, several gardens, and ornamental plants.
You can also consider attending the carnival held in the town. You can be a part of the official dance of Recife’s feverish carnival and can find it in the central Paco do Frevo museum. This museum exhibits former carnival floats, live performances, and dance schools, which welcome foreigners to learn a few moves. You can opt to explore the majestic castle, which is full of swords, suits of armor, and plenty of other knightly paraphernalia. Besides, you will get to see the fantastic Brazilian and European artwork plus other historical artifacts. You can pay a visit to the Casa da Cultura, a stunning artisanal marketplace that has been converted from a notorious prison. Live performances of traditional and contemporary music are common in the evenings.
Yoga and Retreats
The city offers several yoga centers that you can opt for according to your preference. It will help you to restore your peaceful mind besides providing you relief from getting restless. In just a few minutes of investing the time, you will get the desired result of relaxation and regain the energy. You can also meditate after the yoga session.
As there are a number of tourists who visit Recife every year, the accommodation facility here is highly maintained all across the town. Whether you choose to live in rural or urban areas, you will find many options here, from expensive to cheap ones. You can choose the type of accommodation according to your budget, staying duration, and others. You will find a free internet connection and parking in almost every hotel, motel, or apartment. Lodging options like green hotels, apartments, hostels, and guest houses are available for your comfort to stay in different regions of the country.
If you are planning to stay in the country for a short time, then green hotels are the best option to stay. From water to light sources, the green hotels use as many green natural sources as possible. All the different types of benefits are available, keeping in mind the health of the visitors. It not only maintain the cleanliness of the country but also assures the safety of your health. They use eco-friendly methods and recyclable items to keep the country clean from waste. Don’t forget to play your part while staying in these hotels to keep them clean and pollution-free.
- Mar Hotel Conventions
- Hotel Atlante Plaza
- Radisson Recife
- Ramada by Wyndham Recife Boa Viagem
- Kastel Manibu Recife Hotel
- Ibis Recife Aeroporto Hotel
Hostels and Guest Houses
These lodging systems are highly suitable for the ones, who are planning to stay in the city for two or three weeks. Therefore, many cheap to expensive apartments available in different ranges which provides some premium features to the tourists. They provide many advantages and benefits for tourists to stay comfortable during the tour. Options such as sharing rooms are also available to divide the room charges with others. In comparison to hotels, the number of rooms in most of the guesthouses and hostels is very low. Before staying in these places, it is best to book the rooms online to assure your stay. Many hostels and guest houses are very popular and get filled very quickly.
- Cosmopolitan Hostel
- Hostel e Pousada Boa Vista
- Hostel Piratas do Sol
- Recanto Novo Horizonte
- Pousada Lorde Ingles
- Pousada Palmeira Imperial
These lodging options are considered the best if you are lodging duration is of more than a month. The facilities of these lodging are available in the city ranges from expensive to low-budget ones. It helps to save a lot of money and at the same time provides a comfortable rest for the customers. There are many cheap to expensive apartments available in different ranges which provides some premium features to the tourists. From learning the local languages to acquiring knowledge about their lifestyle, you will be able to get ideas about their living. In most of the apartments, you will be surrounded by local people who will help you to know and observe their lifestyle more closely.
- Beach Class Excelsior
- Flat 508 Recife
- Studio Everest Flats
- Flat in Piedade
- Flat Palm Village Acqua Porto de Galinhas
- Flat Mercure Recife Navegantes
Couchsurfing is a temporary stay in which a group of tourists provides service by helping other tourists by offering them shelter and food while visiting their home town or country. You will be able to gain a lot of knowledge about the country and other information by choosing it. It is the best way for tourists to save money and explore the culture more closely in the travel location. However, if you are thinking of Couchsurfing, then make sure to look for it from a very early time to get all the things prepared before starting the journey. Choosing this way to stay in the town will help you a lot in enjoying some benefits such as knowing the different places in the town, observing the lifestyle of local people closely, know the traditions, taste the local dishes, learn the language, and many more
Camping is one of the best ways to admire the open sky and enjoy the mesmerizing views of different mountains, forests, and lakes. Also, as the town has several islands, you will get some of the best camping spots on those islands. Hence, many tourists are likely to enjoy a more adventurous journey besides opting for the chance to feel the freshness of nature. While staying in the camps, you will also be able to take part in many outdoor activities like bonfires, walking on the hills, trekking, hiking, rock climbing, and others based on the location. Most of the camping spots have all the basic facilities like toilets, food arrangements, and others. So, if you are planning to book one, then do it in advance through the online services.
How to Get There
Recife is well-connected with roadways and has highly-maintained transportation services that are widely available in the city. Airways is the most suitable and fastest way to get in the city as compared to others. Furthermore, if you are traveling from nearby cities, then you can prefer buses or cars. While traveling to the town, you can opt for water transport like boats.
Guararapes-Gilberto Freyre International Airport is the main airport in the town. It is a modern, efficient, user-friendly, and close to the city. There are direct scheduled flights to São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Brasília, Campinas, Caruaru, Belo Horizonte, Salvador, Fernando de Noronha, Natal, Fortaleza, Maceio, Joao Pessoa, Aracaju, Petrolina, Campina Grande, Juazeiro do Norte, as well as to Buenos Aires, Frankfurt (Condor), Madrid (Iberia), Miami (American Airlines), Lisbon (TAP), Madrid, Oporto, and Paris. There are also regular charter flights from other European cities such as Milan, Helsinki and Amsterdam. Domestic airlines operate regular scheduled flights to Recife – Azul, Gol, Noar, Latam, and Trip.
Terminal Integrado de Passageiros (TIP), Recife’s long-distance bus terminal is way out in the suburbs. TIP is connected to the city by the MetroRec subway at the Rodoviaria station on the Centro 1 line, around 15 minutes from downtown. Bus companies have booths at the Central MetroRec station in town, so at least you do not have to trek out just to buy advance bus tickets. Direct buses to all Northeast and many other capital cities – to Fortaleza by Guanabara, to Natal by Progresso, and to Joao Pessoa.
There is no train service in the town. Therefore, you cannot avail of any train service in the city.
As the roadways of the cities and towns are well connected with the streets and lanes of Recife, you will easily be able to hitchhike your way through the country. It is one of the best ways to travel to any destination without spending much money. It is a method of taking a lift on the way from people who are heading toward the town and is widely available for the tourist who visits the town. Although it takes time to reach the country, it provides a good adventurous journey with a view to the destination. You will gain some of the best experiences on your way to the country as there are plenty of views to admire along the way.
BR-101, also known as the Translitoranean, connects to the north with Natal and Joao Pessoa, and to the south with Maceio, Aracaju, and Salvador, as well as Vitoria and Rio de Janeiro further down the coast. BR-232 runs east-west across most of Pernambuco, connecting Recife with Gravata, Caruaru, and other destinations. BR-408 connects Recife with Tracunhaem and with Campina Grande, Paraiba. You can arrive in cruise ships at the Port of Recife. Cruises may come from other Brazilian states, from other countries in South America and the Caribbean, or from Europe. Transatlantic cruise liners include Holland America Line ms Rotterdam, Holland America Line ms Prisendam, Oceania Cruises Insignia, SeaDream Yacht Club, Royal Caribbean International Splendour of the Sea, P&O Cruises Artemis, Cunard Line Queen Elizabeth II, among others. Cruises from Recife to the Fernando de Noronha archipelago are also available.
The city provides you several options to scout the interior of the city. Being a tourist, you should always opt to go with the transportation options that will help you to spend less money and get the chance to explore more. Therefore, getting an idea about the various modes of traveling will help you get familiar with transport services available in Recife. Hence, you can opt for transport services like bicycles, cars, public buses, etc.
Walking down the lanes and streets will also help you to understand the culture of the city. Also, it is one of the best ways of traveling when you want to explore the nearby market areas without missing anything. It is not only the best eco-friendly mode of transportation but also the most common way to get around the city and explore the interiors.
This means of transport will help you to explore the nearby localities a bit faster as compared to walking. Being an eco-friendly tourist you can prefer bicycling or motorcycle tours to explore some of the destinations in the city. Besides, it will help you to cover the nearby short distances.
There are no electric car services in the city, to date. But, the city is planning to introduce electric cars in the coming years. They are also working to establish charging stations in various regions of the city. Doing this will assist in the smooth functioning of these electric cars.
Buses are the most useful form of mass transportation. The Sistema Estrutural Integrado (Integrated Structural System), known as SEI, has 119 bus lines that are integrated with the subway system at 13 points throughout the metropolitan area.
Tram, Train and Subway
There is no service for trams and trains. But the facility of the subway is available in the town. MetroRec, Recife's subway system, is the third-largest in Brazil, although it still covers only limited areas of the city. 13 out of the 28 stations have connections to the SEI metro bus system and, depending on your destination, it may be possible to purchase a single combination subway/bus ticket. MetroRec has three basic lines – Two Central lines run together from downtown to the west, where they split after Coqueiral station and go to Jaboatao dos Guararapes and Camaragibe respectively. It does provide a useful link between the city center and the TIP Bus Station in the outskirts, at the penultimate stop on the Camaragibe (Centro 1) line. Further, a new South line provides direct access to the airport and Shopping Center Recife on its way to Cajueiro Seco.
Instead of casual shopping, people around the world are now opting for sustainable shopping that helps to shop lovely things at low costs. You will be able to see some of the popular markets in the country that offer antique and vintage items. Purchasing items from the small shops will support them a lot, as most of them are dependent on tourism. From clothes to accessories, you will find various types of items while exploring the markets of the city.
Mercado de Sao Jose is a public market in Recife, Pernambuco. It is the oldest Brazilian building constructed of pre-manufactured iron. Further, the market is made up of 545 shops that sell a variety of fish, spices, herbs, crafts, and Cordel literature. Besides, this market is a Brazilian historic heritage site.
Many handicrafts are found in the Culture House in Recife. The building was originally built and used as the city's prison, but now the cells have been converted into 150 craft shops. It has become the biggest center of culture and art in the state of Pernambuco. You will find pieces in clay, ceramics, leather, and wood. Handicrafts include dolls, chess boards, checkers boards, hats, bags, sandals, and embroidery work. This is a great place to buy souvenirs, with lots of great pieces of both cultural and traditional in nature.
Second Hand Stores
The town holds several thrift stores that are known to sell second-hand items at a reasonable price. Some of the known thrift stores of the town include Dressing Room, Reve Thrift Store, Fashion Corner, and more. Being an eco-friendly tourist, you should visit these stores to support the charitable purposes for which these stores often run.
The city holds some of the stores and shops that sell eco-fashion clothes that are highly produced by various brands. Eco-fashion is considered to be a part of sustainable clothing, where the clothes and other goods are made from recycled materials or otherwise produced by methods that are not harmful to the environment. The manufactures use an alternative to chemically treat the clothing.
Recycling plays a very important role in the way of living. It is considered as a source of living for thousands of people, especially those who are from villages and mountain regions. Therefore, the government of the country has taken various measures in the last few years to recycle as much they can and make the country free from wastes. They are working to take the necessary steps to recycle a lot later to help the urban living style better. Somehow, they had made a lot of progress in a short time. Further, the government is planning to increase the recycling product percentage to bring change to the country. As a responsible tourist, make sure that you are playing your part while staying in this country during your trip, to keep the country free from wastes.
Public waste management in the country is very important to the infrastructure and health of Brazilians. Much of the waste management is left to private sectors, such as private recycling companies and waste pickers, which is considered a legitimate job. Recycling rates in the country are considered to be fair. Brazil is a world leader in aluminum can recycling without government intervention. However, in recent years, the federal government has been investing in these companies to better waste management. The country’s waste final destination is usually dumps or landfills. However, the government is now moving away from the landfills in favor of Waste to Energy (WtE) plants. The Brazilian federal government launched the National Solid Waste Policy (NSWP) to improve waste management, including economic incentives to address problems regarding waste management, in the form of boosting investment in recycling industries and energy generation from waste.
Work and Study Abroad
There are many universities available in the country which offer benefits like exchange students that help the students to study in the country at a low cost. Besides, plenty of jobs are available in the country that helps workers from different countries to earn a lot. Hence, you will come across many migrants as well workers who are working and earning their living pretty well.
It is one of the most effective benefits that help the students to study in other universities at a low price. The best thing about this facility is that students can study at foreign universities only with the college fee. Therefore, many students are living in the country to complete their education successfully with the help of the exchange student. If you want to take the help of this benefit to study in the country or in the city, then you have to know if the home university has a partnership with any of the universities in Recife. To get this benefit, you will have to get nominated by your home university.
Au Pair is a helpful facility and job sector for foreign students and workers. In this job, the person will be granted the benefits of the convenience to be able to get shelter, food, and even some pocket money. In exchange for all these, he/she has to take care of the house, children, or an elderly person of the host’s family. It is a helpful facility and job sector for foreign students and workers, which is available in most of the cities of Recife. Most of the people take the help of this facility in the early stage of their settling down in the country.
As an eco-friendly tourist, you can volunteer for different jobs in the country. It is one of the best ways to give your contribution to the country and make it a safer and cleaner place for tourists. The volunteering idea starts from keeping the famous attractions of the country clean to teaching English or any other languages to the local people. Besides, it will also help you to gain a lot of knowledge about the local people, their culture, their traditions, and many such other things. Hence, you will come across many foreigners who are participating in the volunteering work conducted in the country.