Eco-friendly travel guide to Leicester advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Leicester, England, United Kingdom.
- Air quality: 3.8 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4.1 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 4.0 / 5
- Public transportation: 4.3 / 5
- Parks: 4.0 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.7/ 5
- Locals' English level: 4.7/ 5
- Safety: 4.5 / 5
- Accommodation: US$86 - $144
- Budget per day: US$108 - $280
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
Leicester is a city located in the east midlands, England. The city has over 300 thousand residents, making it the thirteenth most populated region in the United Kingdom. The city offers a fantastic taste of history, food, excellent shopping and taste of culture. The city government of Leicester is at the forefront of environmental conservation. Major organizations in Leicester are also part of the team encouraging people to recognize the financial, health, and ecological benefits of using sustainable means of transport like cycling and walking. There are also many fun activities to enjoy in the city ranging from live music concerts, visit museums and galleries, visit the national space center and areas of natural beauty. The residents of the town are very kind and welcoming.
While exploring different places and the general idea of tourism is great, it is also harmful for the environment because of the way tourists travel today. It is of utmost importance to be a responsible traveller especially when we are at the verge of a climate disaster.
- Choosing the right transport method: A major part of your travel experience includes discovering every nook and cranny of the city. While you will have transport options like private cars and taxis at your disposal you need to know that not only do they contribute to more congestion and traffic pollution but also emit harmful gases into the environment. So, choose options like walking, cycling, electronic and public transportation in general.
- Trying local food: A huge part of the local culture is the traditional food that is offered at the local traditional restaurants and by street food vendors. Instead of just sticking to international fast food franchises that contribute to so much waste being produced in the world, you should try the local options. Not only will it help the local economy but also will directly help the families whose sole source of earning are these small food businesses.
- Do not throw waste: As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to promote sustainable living as much as possible in the city to motivate not only fellow tourists but local people. When you visit any tourists attractions especially city parks, make sure you do not throw any food wrapper and do not just stop at that but if you see any trash, pick it up and throw it in the dustbin. It might look like a very small thing to do but has a huge impact on people watching especially the children present in the park since they learn and mimic the behaviour of other people around them.
- Choose a green hotel: Plenty of accommodations are available in the city that provide you with a top-notch experience but instead of choosing them, you can pick green hotels for your stay. They use eco-friendly measures to reduce the pollution and waste of the city. This is one of the great ways to contribute towards the city to keep it safe and clean.
- Shop local: In order to support local craftsmen and artisans always shop local. During your trip to the city, you will come across small shops and food stalls in almost every lane of the city. If you want to have an unforgettable experience in the city, then buy goods and handicrafts from these shops. This will not only help you to save a lot of money but you will be supporting a lot of local people who are dependent on their small businesses to earn a livelihood.
Air Quality and Pollution
Leicester air quality experiences occasional shorter pollution events such as dust storms and forest fires. The primary pollutant that has raised attention is particulate matter. These microscopic particles can be inhaled deep into the human system and cause health problems to people with allergies and asthma. Other primary pollution sources include industrial activities and vehicles. Short-term effects caused by the polluted air include shortness of breath and eye allergies, while Long-term effects include lung cancer. Leicester City has an air quality index of 22AQI, according to IQAir. The city government encourages industries to use environmental-friendly methods during production.
Respect the Culture
The city of Leicester is a place full of cultural events and many high-profile creative talents. It is also home to many fantastic galleries, museums, and many vibrant events rich in rooted heritage. Comedy festivals and art festivals in this city are on the rise attracting many foreign and domestic tourists. The city government has dedicated st Georges as a cultural quarter to host many statues, monuments, and public artworks.
Top 10 Places to Visit
- The space center: The space center is a national museum built in early 2001. The museum is very educative, especially for people interested in science and space. It is full of galleries, planetariums, exhibitions, and rockets. It is the largest planetarium in the united kingdom and also the only place that can house upright space rockets.
- Golden mile: Leicester is also very popular for its variety of Indian shops and restaurants. Golden mile has lots of authentic foods and clothing. The place is located a few minute's walk from Belgrave road. The site is ideal for people who love the Indian culture.
- King Power stadium: This is the home to one of the most popular football clubs in the premier league. Leicester City football club attracts many foreigners to this part of the region. The stadium is among the largest in England, placing it at number twenty. While here you can take pictures or attend one of the matches.
- Grand union canal: Leicester is an entirely landlocked city but has several green spaces and waterways. This canal runs from Birmingham to London, cutting through Leicester's city. it is a great place to take a walk and connect with nature.
- Leicester market: This is among the biggest covered outdoor market in Europe for many years. The area is also home to the 5th duke of Rutland. You can get various fresh products from this place, including veg, fruits, and clothes. It's a great place to know the cultural foods of the Leicester people.
- The cookie and the attic: Located at High street, cookie and the attic attracts many locals and foreigners all year long. The attic holds a gin and cocktail bar. The lace hosts lots of musicians and comedians. The place is an excellent hideaway while in the city.
- New walk: This is a pedestrianized way that runs out of the city to Victoria Park. There are lots of bars and restaurants lined. While moving, check on the new walk museum, which has a lot to learn completely free. It is also home to dinosaur exhibits and ancient Egypt.
- University of Leicester botanic garden: The botanic garden is located a few minute's drives from the city center. It is a great place to learn and perform scientific research. The site is also excellent and has benches to relax and a playground for kids to play. It also has lots of plant life and sculptures.
- Social climbing: This is among the first dedicated bouldering wall in Leicester. there are over 6oosqm of climbing for all abilities and ages. This is a great place to make new friends since the process is very interactive.
- Gate 38: This is a street club located in the city center. It's designed to look like you are in an airplane which makes it so popular. It has excellent nightlife and a variety of drinks and dishes. While here takes a photo while drinking in a fake plane.
Leicester City has many places to spend your time and have fun ranging from nightclubs, museums, and stadiums. There is also a wide range of parks, archeological sites, and many other areas that can make your stay worthwhile.
- Abbey Park: The city park is a public park located in the city center of Leicester, united kingdom. It is a 32acre ground with a flower display and a river. It is owned and managed by the city council .it is clean and well maintained. There are lots of benches to relax and also playfields for kids to play with. Parking is offered at reasonable prices.
- Bede Park: Bede city park is located in the heart of Leicester city. It is a riverside park with a large playground and well-maintained walking paths. The atmosphere is excellent and relaxed—a great place for jogging and exercising. The site also has a gym where you can take your slimming or body-building goals to the next level—a great place to go with family and friends.
- Museum Square Park: It is a quiet green space located in the heart of Leicester city. There are benches for relaxing and a playground for kids to play. It is popular due to its ease of access and next to many social amenities.
- Fosse Recreation Ground: The city park is located a few minutes' drives from the city center. It's a nice open place with a large playground for exercising and kids to play. All facilities are clean and well maintained—ideal for a day off with friends and family.
- The Rally: The city park is located a walking distance from the city center. It's a great green space with an excellent playground for kids and clean and well-maintained benches for relaxing. Here you will find people walking their dogs, cycling, skating, and others jogging. It's a great place to visit with family and friends.
- Castle Hill Country Park: The country park is located in the city Centre of Leicester, England. It's a lovely park to stroll on the weekend with family and friends. The people visiting this place are friendly, especially those who come to walk their dogs. The forest is also home to some wildlife.
- Aylestone Meadows Local Nature Reserve: The nature reserve is a few miles away from Leicester's city center. This park has lots of people walking around while others are cycling and jogging. The place features some wildlife, river woodland, and a canal. Aylestone Meadows has a lot of space for children to play and benches for people to relax. It's a great place to visit with family and friends.
- Watermead Country Park: Watermead country park is located a few minute's drives from the city center. It's a lovely outdoor park with lots of wildlife and scenic surroundings. Activities you can engage in while here include: bike riding, skating, and jogging. There are also benches to sit and relax. It is an excellent place for family picnics and fun days.
- Bradgate Park: This is among the largest parks in Leicester, which attracts more than 800,000 visitors annually. The place has stunning scenery. It is also effortless to get lost for a few hours if you don't take caution. The site is home to much wildlife ranging from birds to badgers. It's an excellent place for a family trip.
- Brocks Hill Country Park: This green park is located in Oadby, Leicester city. it is a nice quiet place with a great atmosphere ideal for relaxing. The site is also great for connecting with nature. People engage in various activities while here, including walking, jogging, cycling, and walking their dogs. There is also a large playground area for kids to play. There are also CCTV cameras to keep the place secure. It's a great place to visit with family and friends.
- Watermead Country Park: The park is located a few miles from the city center of Leicester. It is famous for its artificial lakes network in the grand union canal and valley of river soar. There are many activities to engage with while here, including jogging and cycling. There are also many people relaxing on the benches while others walk their dogs around. It's an excellent place for a family visit.
- Rutland Water Park: Rutland is a human-made beach located in Oakham, united kingdom. It's a great place with plenty of walking routes and fantastic water sports at very affordable prices. All facilities on this beach are clean and well maintained. People also visit here to walk their dogs, cycle, and jog. It's a great place to come with kids since there is a lot for them to enjoy. There are also some cafes and a few restaurants offering a great selection of foods and drinks.
- Leicester Castle: This is a historical landmark in Leicester, England. It is a great place to learn about Leicester's history. The guides are super friendly and knowledgeable. There is also a park around where you could relax and enjoy the fresh air. It's an ideal place for those interested in the local history of Leicester.
- The Clock Tower: The clock tower is a historical landmark in Leicester, England. It is located at a point where Humberstone gate, Haymarket, gallows-tree gate, church gate, and east gates meet. It's a great place to hang out with friends. The area is always crowded because it is where the city center streets meet.
- Castle Motte: This is a historical landmark located in Leicester, England. The place is excellent and full of nature and history. There are great places to sit and enjoy the fresh air. The site is immaculate, with all facilities well maintained.
- Mini Statue of Liberty: It's a landmark located in walnut st, Leicester. this statue of liberty replica date from the year 1920. it's an excellent place for history lovers and a great place to remember and honor those who fought for Leicester's liberty.
- War Memorial: This is a historical museum located in st. Andrews church, old church saint, Leicester city. It remembers the local Aylestone people who died in world war one and world war two. the place was cleaned and conserved in the year 2018 by the Leicester city council and war memorials trust. It's a great place to learn about the history and war in Leicester.
- Leicester Museum and Art Gallery: This museum is located a few minutes’ drive from the train station.it attracts ma foreign and local visitors all year long. There are many exhibitions including those of dinosaurs. Great place to visit on a weekend. Entrance is completely free.
Leicester has a wide range of hotels and restaurants offering a wide range of foods and drinks. These eateries range from traditional restaurants, cafes, vegan foods, and street foods. The restaurants serve delicious meals at very affordable prices.
Traditional Local Restaurants
- Roma Cafe Bar & Restaurant: This is a friendly traditional restaurant located in Leicester, England. It's a family-run business offering a variety of authentic Italian dishes. The staff is super friendly and ready to help in case the need arises. The place is famous for its coffee, pasta dishes, and excellent prices—a great place to visit with family and friends.
- Lilu: This is an authentic Indian restaurant located in Leicester, England. It is a relaxed fine dining experience with great foods packed with love and passion. The staff are very knowledgeable and pays attention to details. The restaurant is popular due to its excellent food quality, atmosphere, and pricing. Main meals can include the Mumbai chaat, okra, and sea bass. Great place to visit with family and friends.
- William Walton Traditional Fish & Chips: This is a fish and chips restaurant located in forest gate, Leicester. the restaurant majority offers takeaway foods. They offer gluten-free chips and fish, which is hard to find in this part of the region. The staff is amiable, and the overall service is speedy and top-notch—a great place to visit with friends and family.
- North Bar and Kitchen: This is a bar and kitchen British restaurant located in Hinckley Road, Leicester. The restaurant offers popular British menus at wooden tables in a heritage building. The services are quick, with the dishes being flavorful and delicious. The staff is welcoming, kind, and ready to help if the need arises—a great place to visit with friends and have a chat.
- Herb: Herb restaurant is located in Granby St, Leicester. They offer excellent traditional and authentic Kerala food with great herbs, spices, and plant-based ingredients. They also have a great choice of vegan and vegetarian foods. The staff is super friendly and informative. They will guide you in case you can't decide what to take. The place is clean and well maintained.
Vegetarian and Vegan
- The Detox Shack: The restaurant is located in market st, Leicester city. it is an excellent place for fresh juices and vegan snacks.there are a variety of salads made of fresh fruits and veggies. Primary juices are those of lemon and strawberries. The environment and atmosphere are fantastic. The staff is very knowledgeable and welcoming. It's an ideal place for the health-conscious.
- The Pantry: Pantry is a vegan restaurant located in losing by ln, Leicester. The hotel is pure vegan and updates its menu each day. The staff are very kind and welcoming and also make sure you are well served. The owner is friendly and knowledgeable about the field. The place is clean and well maintained to ensure quality standards are high.
- Louisa Cafe Deli: The vegan restaurant is located in Belgrave Gate, Leicester. They offer both takeaway and delivery services for their customers. The staff provides a warm reception with a great selection of food and drinks. Their choices are pure vegan and vegetarian. Their pricing is very affordable for every vegetarian. Great place to have dinner with friends and family.
- The Good Earth: The good earth vegan restaurant is located in free ln, Leicester. the restaurant has a wide variety of vegan and vegetarian foods. The staff are very welcoming and offer delicious meals. The place is also clean and well maintained, with all amenities available. It's a great place to carry your family and friends.
- Current Affairs: Current affairs is a little vegan restaurant located in to lose by ln, Leicester. they offer both takeaway and delivery services to their customers. The staff is welcoming, super friendly, and ready to help in case the need arises. Their foods are very authentic and of excellent health benefit. It is a great place to visit with family.
- Shivalli: This is a pure vegetarian Indian restaurant located in Welford rd, Leicester. the foods here are cheap and of excellent quality. The staff are very kind, super friendly and offer professional services to their customers. The place is clean, well decorated, and maintained. It provides excellent value for your money—a great place to visit with friends and enjoy the incredible and wonderful atmosphere.
- Fish and chips: This is the widely used street meal in Leicester city. It consists of hot, freshly fried white fish fillet and fried sliced potatoes. Flounder, haddock, and cod are the most common types of fish used to make the meal.
- Pork pie: These are the most favorite dish for many Leicester youths and adults. It is made from seasoned juicy and minced pork. The main reason behind the popularity is the sole reason for portability. The meal can be easily carried along by backpackers, hunters, travelers, and farmers.
- Cornish pasty: The Cornish pasty is another popular meal in the streets of Leicester. It is shaped to form the letter D and crispy. It is made with various root vegetables and beef. Its golden color is achieved using milk glazing or egg wash with the interior filled with mashed potatoes, onions, herbs, and diced beef.
- Jellied eels: Jellied eels are traditional cockney street food in Leicester city. it is made by chopping eels and boiling them for a few minutes in herbs, then cooled. The street food has been there for almost a century in this region.
The most consumed drink in the region is tap and mineral water. Leicester is home to many bars and cafes. These cafes and bars offer a great selection of beers and beverages. Organic restaurants also offer a wide range of health-conscious drinks from fresh fruits and herbs.
There is no much information as to whether the water in Leicester is safe to drink or not. The most important thing to get some critical information is by checking residents' reviews on specific areas. Most residents use water without disinfecting it because they believe the water is safe for drinking. Most of the tap water in this region has some contaminants like nitrates and E coli which can be harmful to human health. Here, there is always boil water before drinking.
- Cafe John: Café john is an organic café located a few minutes' walks from the city Centre of Leicester. They offer vegan options, including falafel and smoothies. The staff are incredibly creative and provide a great selection of drinks. The place is also clean, well decorated, and maintained. It is a great place to visit with friends and have a chat and take coffee or smoothies.
- Rathdowne Street Café: The street cafe is located in carton north VIC, Leicester. they offer fresh juice and great coffee. The customer service is excellent and trendy. All staff is welcoming and ready to help in case the need arises. The place is also clean, well maintained and with a great atmosphere for relaxing.
- Healthy Louisa Cafe Deli: The organic café is located in Belgrave Gate, Leicester. the café has a great selection of healthy food and drinks. Their potions are slightly more significant compared to other cafes of the same quality. The staff is kind, courteous, and ready to help if the need arises—a great place to visit with a friend and have a chat.
- Prana Café: Prana café is an organic café located in Horsefair St, Leicester. the café has a great selection of foods and drinks and offers a fantastic experience. The staff are friendly, polite and provide quick services to customers. The place is also clean, well decorated, and maintained. It's a great place to visit with family and friends.
- Framework Brewery: The brewery is located in the old city depot, Leicester. It's a hidden gem in the old areas of Leicester's textile industry. There is the welcoming and helpful staff who will guide you and ensure you are delighted. There is also an onsite shop that opens only on Fridays. The place is clean and well maintained.
- Anstey Ale Brewery: The brewery is located in Albion St, Anstey, Leicester. the brewery is located in a great place and run by genuine guys passionate about their craft and quality. The site has fantastic ciders and beers. The staff is amiable and knowledgeable about the art. The infrastructure is clean and well maintained—a great place to hang out with friends on weekends.
- The West End Brewery: This is among the most popular breweries n this region. It is located in Braunstone Gate, Leicester. the west end brewery offers a great selection of excellent beers. The staff is super friendly and ready to help in case the need arises. The place is also clean and hygienic and also makes sure customers are secure during testing times. Great place to visit with friends during weekends.
Leicester City is a fantastic city with a great option of activities to engage in. major activities to indulge in include: social climbing, skating, and cycling. These activities can be enjoyed at a small fee while some are free.
Yoga and Retreats
Retreats and yoga will help you relax, revive, and rejuvenate. These yoga and retreats help deepen your mindfulness, helping you connect with your body, soul, and mind.yoga studios are popular among the people of Leicester.
Accommodation places in Leicester city are secure, well maintained, and affordable. The various accommodations available include Apartments, hotels, hostels, and guest houses, among many other varieties.
- Hotel ibis Leicester City: The hotel is located in St George's way, constitution hill, Leicester. it is less than a kilometer away from the new walk museum. The hotel features a bar, restaurant, ample parking, clean rooms, and comfy beds. The place is clean, well furnished, decorated, and well maintained with all necessary amenities provided. The staff is kind, welcoming, and ready to help in case the need arises.
- Hotel Campanile: The hotel is located in Bedford st N, Leicester. it is located in less than 15 minutes' walk from Abay park and less than a mile from the train station in Leicester city. Great place with fantastic staff who are welcoming, kind, courteous, and ready to help if the need arises. The hotel features a restaurant, spacious rooms, free wifi, and free limited parking. It's a great place to have a family visit.
- Premier Inn Leicester City Centre hotel: This is one of the famous hotels in Leicester city. It is located in St Georges tower,1Ast Georges way, Leicester. the hotel is modern, well decorated and furnished. The hotel features an onsite bar, restaurant, free limited parking, and spacious rooms. The staff is accommodating and super friendly, making it easy to interact with. It's an ideal place for a family visit.
- Novotel Leicester: This is a green hotel located in the great central square, Leicester. this hotel is at a distance of 2 miles from the train station. It features a restaurant, gym, and cocktail bar. The staff is welcoming, courteous, kind, and super friendly, which makes them approachable despite any questions or clarifications. The place is clean and well maintained—a great place for a visit with family or as a group of friends.
Hostels and Guest Houses
- South Fork Guest House Leicester: This is a sizeable modern guest house located in Narborough Rd, Leicester. It is located in a residential area a 2 minutes’ walk from the bus stop for Leicester city center. The guesthouse and the hotel is a family business. The owners are amicable and welcoming. The place is clean and well maintained, while the pricing is relatively fair.
- The Bell GateHouse: This guest house is located in bell Gatehouse,156 Belgrave Gate, Leicester. the rooms are large enough, clean, and well-arranged. The staff is lovely, kind, and ready to help in case the need arises. The location is convenient and easily accessible through public transport while shops and social amenities are within a walk distance.
- Glenfield Lodge Guest House: This is a guest house located in Glenfield Rd, Leicester. it is a family-run hotel less than 20 minutes walk from the city center and less than 2.5 miles from the train station. The rooms are spacious and feature a large TV and fridge. The place is also spotless, well maintained, and furnished. The attendants are kind, welcoming, courteous, and super friendly.
- Comfort Guest House: Comfort guest house is located in Saxby st, Leicester. the rooms are spacious, clean, and well furnished with all amenities available. Bathrooms and showers are shared and are always kept clean. The attendant is welcoming, kind, and ready to help in case the need arises.
- Leicester Serviced Apartments: This apartment is trendy among backpackers. It is located in lower lee st, Leicester. the location is convenient and easily accessible via public transport. The rooms are large enough and well furnished with all necessary amenities available. The attendant is very courteous, kind, and welcoming.
- Aria Leicester: The apartment is located in Chatham st, Leicester. the rooms are clean, well maintained, spacious with a kitchen, balconies, hot tub, and outdoor pool. It is easily accessible via public transport and also close to the city center. The apartment offers excellent value for your money.
- Queen Street Quarter: This is an apartment rental agency located in the Rowley bldg.,21 queen st, Leicester. The buildings are modern, well-furnished, and maintained. The staff is kind and super friendly, which makes them easy to interact with. The customer care is also very professional and ready to help in case the need arises. The overall team is great to associate with.
- The Wellcom.: This is an apartment building located in high cross st, Leicester. it is the best accommodation for Leicester professionals. The rooms are very spacious, decorated, and well furnished. It also features onsite parking, a gym, and free wifi. The location is easily accessible via public transport and too close to many social amenities. The apartments offer great value for your money and also an excellent place for backpackers.
- Kimberley House: Kimberly house is an apartment building located in Vaughan wy, Leicester. They offer two-bedroom apartments with kitchens and a hot tub, and a well-maintained outdoor pool close to shops, clubs, beaches, bars, and restaurants. The place offers excellent value for your money.
Couchsurfing in Leicester helps foreigners discover the unique hidden gems in the city. Couchsurfing in Leicester is popular and safe provided prior research is done. In the case you don't have already made friends, you can opt to do that through the variety of social media sites and Couchsurfing sites at your disposal. Leicester residents are welcoming, which makes it easy to connect with. When doing our research, always go for like-minded people.
There are several places you can go camping while in the city of Leicester. The popular ones include:
- Barford Top Campsite: The campsite is located in Mowsley road, Saddington, Leicester. the location is beautiful and peaceful with stunning views and gorgeous nighttime and sunset. The facility is well maintained and clean. The owners are welcoming, kind, and super friendly, which makes it easy to interact .the guides are also very generous to share their knowledge about the area. This is a great place to connect with nature. It also offers excellent value for your hard-earned money.
- Purple Badger camping & fishing lakes.:This is among the popular campsite in this part of the region. It is located in Croxton Rd, Leicester. the location is easily accessible via public transport hence very convenient. The site is well maintained and with all amenities kept in place. The owner is super friendly and ready to help in case the need arises. The views are great, especially during mornings and evenings before the sun goes down.
How to Get There
Leicester has many ways to reach there through several airports or use direct trains from London. All these methods are convenient and will get you to Leicester. using buses and trains is the cheapest means.
There are several airports you can use to get to Leicester. Heathrow airport is among the most popular and largest airports in the UK. It serves over 180 destinations in over 90 countries. Many bus services service from London to Leicester. the east midlands airport is the closest to Leicester. The main limitation is that it operates in a fewer number of countries.
Buses operate from London Heathrow and London Gatwick airports to Leicester. The bus services are cheaper and convenient. In case you need to travel, book your ticket In advance to be on the safer side.
Several train services run direct into Leicester city from London and Birmingham international airport. The travel means it is the cheapest and also convenient. In case you have luggage, check the luggage policy.
Hitchhiking is popular among many Leicester residents. Although some find it challenging, others find it fun and are ready to hitchhike to the most extended distances. Hitchhiking in Leicester is safe for both men and women.
Other modes of transport that get you to Leicester include: include:
- By taxi
- By personal means
- By ferry
Moving around leicester could be the most exciting thing to do since you interact with the locals and learn to appreciate their culture. There are several methods you can use to move around including:
Walking is an efficient and eco-friendly way to move around Leicester. Leicester city government has built some walking paths to make it organized. These paths have connected all significant towns within the city.
Leicester is a great place for cyclists with many dedicated cycle paths. The whole city can be navigated within a few hours using a bicycle. The town hall is home to high-quality cycle toilets, parking, showers, and lockers. There are also many secure cycle parking and charging rooms at the rail station. Free bike maps can be found in popular bike shops and sports centers.
The popularity of electric vehicles is growing at a high rate in this part of the region. Charging points can be found in many public places, including garages, supermarkets, and town centers. The city government is also supporting the transformation by installing additional charging points.
Leicester's road connection is excellent with many bus services dropping you within walking distance of city center shops. The primary bus services include Arriva travel and the first bus.
Tram, Train and Subway
Trams and trains are the most energy-efficient and sustainable means of transport. Their low prices are what makes them popular. Rail connections in Leicester are very efficient and will get you to every corner of the city.
Sustainable shopping ensures that everything we buy has health, social, and environmental benefits. Sustainable shopping involves buying from local food markets, flea markets, and eco-fashion manufacturers.
- Food Hall: This is a food market located in the marketplace, Leicester. There is a surplus of fresh farm products at low prices. The stalls are clean and well maintained. There are lots of juicy fruits fresh from the farms. There is also a great selection of meat available from friendly vendors.
- Leicester Market.: This market is located in market PI, Leicester. This is the largest outdoor covered market in Europe. You can buy fresh vegetables and fruits at low prices. The place is located in an easily accessible location.
- Saddington Car Boot Sale: The flea market is located in Kibworth Harcourt, Leicester. many sellers are well organized. There are lots of clothing, toys and other general goods at low prices. The place is clean, well maintained, and all necessary social amenities available.
- Measham Carboot: This is among the famous flea markets in the region. It is located in Mesham, Leicester. It's an open-air weekend market with lots of vendors selling fashions, foods, and electronic gadgets. To get quality products always come early. Everything is sold at throwaway prices.
Second Hand Stores
- Revivals: This is a used clothing store located in Clarendon Park, Leicester. The earlier you get, the better chance of getting quality products. You can get excellent outcomes from clothing to foot ware and children's toys. the staff are easily approachable and super friendly.
- The Secondhand Warehouse Ltd: This is a store of second-hand furniture in Lothair Rd, Leicester. there are many exciting furniture at friendly bargains. The place is clean and well maintained.
The people of Leicester try to promote eco-friendly brands majorly from the cotton and sisal industry. These brands try to negatively impact the overall environment, consumers' health, and workers' working conditions.
Recycling is a great and vital way to keep the environment clean. Recycling prevents the pollution of air and water bodies. Recyclable items in Leicester include metals like tin and aluminum and plastics.
Leicester City got nice and well-allocated trash collection areas to help keep the town area clean and conducive for business activities. While around the town center, make sure to drop your plastic cans and any other kind of waste material in these designated areas to support the city government's plan of keeping the place tidy.
Work and Study Abroad
There are over 300 international companies in Leicester city. These companies are a source of job opportunities for the residents. There are also a vast number of startups in this part of the region. Significant companies are tech-based, software companies, and logistics companies.
Leicester is home to several excellent universities in the region. Many of these universities major in tech courses due to the rising demand for tech professionals in the area. Universities and colleges in the city include:
- The University of Leicester
- De Montfort university
- University of Leicester School of business
- Leicester medical school
The residents of Leicester do not find it a problem to have au pairs from overseas countries. Au pairs usually live with the family they work for and are rewarded fairly for their excellent job. Most people who need au pairs are the working class. The people of Leicester opt for people above the age of 18 and have good English language skills.
Leicester has several organizations that give you the platform to help conserve the environment and assist in community development. Volunteering is a way of giving back to the Leicester community and knowing the place and culture better. Volunteer groups you can join include.
- Childline Volunteer Counsellor
- Volunteer Social Care Volunteers
- Volunteer in environmental conservation and raising awareness