Eco-friendly travel guide to Cardiff advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to explore the attractions in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom.
- Air quality: 3.9 / 5
- Exploring by foot: 4 / 5
- Exploring by bicycle: 3.9 / 5
- Public transportation: 4 / 5
- Parks: 4 / 5
- Outdoor activities: 3.8 / 5
- Locals' English level: 4 / 5
- Safety: 4 / 5
- Accommodation: US$200 - $250
- Budget per day: US150 - $190
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 How to Get There
- 11 Moving Around
- 12 Sustainable Shopping
- 13 Recycling
- 14 Work and Study Abroad
- 15 See Also
The capital of Wales and the eleventh largest city in the United Kingdom, Cardiff is a mind-blowing city and a trip to this city will be nothing short of memorable. Known as the Crowd Pleaser and City of Castles, Cardiff definitely has its own unique charm.
The romantic, historic landmarks, as well as the modern attractions such as the Wales Millennium Centre, is something that makes Cardiff popular. Apart from that, there are plenty of green spaces unlike other cities in the UK. The music scene is something which other cities envy a lot.
When travelling to Cardiff, you need to keep one thing in mind and that is to always be a responsible tourist. Make eco friendly choices in order to preserve the environment. There are many ways through which you can do that like:
- Choosing the right transport method: A major part of your travel experience is discovering every nook and cranny of the city. While you will have transport options like private cars and taxis at your disposal you need to know that not only do they contribute to more congestion and traffic pollution but also emit harmful gases into the environment. So, choose options like walking, cycling, electronic and public transportation in general.
- Trying local food: A huge part of the local culture is the traditional food that is offered at the local traditional restaurants and by street food vendors. Instead of just sticking to international fast food franchises that contribute to so much waste being produced in the world, you should try the local options. Not only will it help the local economy but also will directly help the families whose sole source of earning are these small food businesses.
- Do not throw waste: As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to promote green as much as possible in the city to motivate not only fellow tourists but local people. When you visit any tourists attractions especially city parks, make sure you do not throw any food wrapper and do not just stop at that but if you see any trash, pick it up and throw it in the dustbin. It might look like a very small thing to do but has a huge impact on people watching especially the children present in the park since they learn and mimic the behaviour of other people around them.
- Choose a green hotel: Plenty of accommodations are available in the city that provide you with a top-notch experience but instead of choosing them, you can pick green hotels for your stay. They use eco-friendly measures to reduce the pollution and waste of the city. This is one of the great ways to contribute towards to city to keep it safe and clean.
- Shop local: In order to support local craftsmen and artisans always shop local. During your trip to the city, you will come across small shops and food stalls in almost every lane of the city. If you want to have an unforgettable experience in the city, then buy goods and foods from these shops. This will not only help you to save a lot of money but you will be supporting a lot of local people who are dependent on their small businesses to earn a livelihood.
Air Quality and Pollution
It is important to understand that that air quality matters a great deal. When it comes to air quality or pollution, you might think that smog is something that causes breathing troubles. However, there are various factors that affect the air quality of any area. According to the Air Quality Index Cardiff has good Air Quality in accordance with the WHO standards. The figures range from 10-25.
This means that you can enjoy outdoor activities in Cardiff, you can open the windows to your room and let in the fresh air. In order to preserve this Air Quality, every person especially tourists should play their role. This includes minimising the use of private cars and taxis. Try to use a bicycle or walk to most of the places. Do not litter and keep the parks clean.
The government here takes many initiatives to keep the pollution levels under control. Besides, the locals are equally responsible so that they have a healthy place to live in. Since tourism is a significant part of the city; thus, the country needs to take care of the pollution levels in the city. Make sure that you are visiting Cardiff during the spring months so that you can explore every corner of the city without the fear of pollution.
Respect the Culture
Cardiff has a very rich and immersive culture. The abundance of some award-winning cultural sites and attractions will no doubt blow your mind. From marvelous art organizations as well as impressive curated programs is noteworthy. Considering everything, it can be said that the city has to offer something new and unique to almost everyone. Most travel enthusiasts as well as the locals consider that the city offers a burgeoning music scene and is home to the biggest collection of impressionist artwork in the world.
You will come across The Art Fund Museum of the Year 2019, which is Europe’s art venue. If you are someone who takes a great interest in art and culture, then the art museum will no doubt impress you. Eminent for some mind-blowing live music, the city is the home to massive stadiums and grass-root gig venues. From local music to the Chartbuster top songs, you will get to see the nightlife playing some outstanding songs.
Next comes the collection of contemporary and fine art. Locals here have a fascination with fine art. Due to this reason, the city arranges some of the most popular art exhibitions as well as events for art enthusiasts. When it comes to the film and photography culture, the city tops the list as well and the reason behind this is every year Cardiff hosts many films as well as photography festivals.
Top 10 Places to Visit
Cardiff is one of the best holiday destinations, which is loved by people all over the world. But, if you want to make your trip more exciting then you cannot miss the best places. The names of those places are mentioned below and you can at least try them out.
- Cardiff Castle - Start your journey with exploring this medieval castle which has a history of over 2000 years. The castle has so much to offer and for all ages. From a lavish Welsh Banquet to enjoy Welsh food and wine to elaborate tours, art and craft activities for kids including puppet shows, costume changes etc. You will definitely have a grand time at the Cardiff Castle.
- Wales Millennium Centre - The iconic art centre of Cardiff is definitely one of the top places to visit and should be a part of your itinerary. Other than the musicals, opera, concerts and shows it hosts, there is also a large selection of shops and cafes so you can easily spend an entire day at the centre.
- Techniquest - For all the science and technology lovers, this is the place to be in Cardiff. It is a center of science where you can visit and see some of the modern scientific experiments.
- Castell Coch - A beautiful castle built in the 19th century that is also known as the Red Castle. This is nothing short of an architectural marvel and has vast history behind it as well.
- Dyffryn Gardens - One of the most lovely gardens with a great collection of flowers and plants. The staff are very friendly cooperative and will accommodate you throughout the tour.
- Llandaff Cathedral - An Anglican cathedral where you will find more than hundreds of worshippers. Come here to pray from your sacred heart and wish for the best thing. One day it will definitely come true and you can convert all your dreams into reality.
- Wales National War Memorial - This war memorial is dedicated to all the warriors who sacrificed their lives during the war period.
- Marvel Avengers Station - For all the Marvel Fans this is a place to visit. It is a highly interactive, multi room exhibition and you will get to experience things like lifting Thor's hammer or looking into Captain America's Personnel file.
- Martin Tinney Gallery - A vast collection of contemporary and timeless pieces by some of the best artists of Europe are displayed at this gallery. It will give you an insight into the culture of Cardiff.
- St David's Dewi Sant - Last but not the least is St David's Dewi Sant, Cardiff's biggest shopping mall. A great place to shop, eat or just hangout and also gives you a chance to interact with the locals.
Cardiff has a lot to offer and there is a lot to explore. From parks to museums to theatres and castles there is a little bit of something for everyone. You will not get bored of the city and there will always be some place to go and some place to explore.
- Bute Park - Spread across a whopping 130 acres, Bute Park is one of the major parks in Cardiff. It is located close to the Cardiff Castle so you can schedule a visit to both the places in one day. You will see people with their children, pets, families just enjoying the day at Bute Park. The greenery and the views are just breathtaking.
- Roath Park - Here you will get many open spaces for playing outdoor games like cricket and football. Bring your kids over here and play exciting games with them.
There are three national parks in Wales which are just a few hours away from Cardiff. A train ride is all it will take for you to reach these beautiful national parks. These include:
- Snowdonia National Park
- Brecon Beacons National Park
- Pembrokeshire Coast National Park
Brecon Beacons National Park is just an hour away from Cardiff so definitely easily accessible and the rare flare and fauna who call these parks their are worth making the trip.
- Cardiff Bay Beach - The beach water is clear and salty, which is great for a dip. Fantastic place for food spots and very family friendly.
Other beaches near Cardiff include:
- Penarth Beach
- Barry Beach
- Porthcawl Beach
The landmarks of Cardiff include:
- Cardiff Bay
- Castle Coch
- Mermaid Quay
- Pierhead Building
- Insole Court
- National Museum of Cardiff - A museum and an art gallery, National Museum of Cardiff is definitely one of the most leading and iconic museums in the city. The museums collection include botany, fine and applied art, geology, zoology and archeology,
- Nantgarw Chinaworks Museum - A beautiful porcelain museum and a tribute to the craft of creating porcelain stuff. There are also many workshops conducted here that include glass painting, ceramic painting. art and craft fairs etc.
A decade or so ago it was admittedly difficult to find traditional Welsh cooking in the cities of Wales such Cardiff or Swansea or even in the seaside resorts such as Llandudno or Colwyn Bay. Nowadays thanks to an initiative called ‘Wales, the True Taste’, traditional Welsh produce and dishes are being celebrated throughout the land, in hotels, restaurants and country inns.
The ‘Wales, The True Taste’ scheme, managed by the Welsh Development Agency (WDA), promotes and endorses the use of quality Welsh produce throughout the hospitality and tourism industries in Wales.
Many different types of speciality foods are grown and prepared in Wales, from honey to ham, cockles to specialist sauces, white wine to whisky, and ice-cream to yoghurt.
Welsh sheep are small and have a particularly delicious flavour when eaten as a lamb. Salt-marsh lamb has a buttery texture and gentle well rounded flavour, as a result of the flocks of sheep grazing on seaweed by the seashore. Although lamb is the meat most often associated with Wales, in the past this was a meat eaten only on high days and holidays: the pig was the staple meat for the family.
Traditional Welsh cooking derives from the diet of the working man: fisherman, farmer, coal miner or labourer. Thus fresh vegetables from the garden, fish from the rivers, lakes or sea, meat from the family pig etc. form the basis of traditional Welsh cooking. Welsh lamb and beef feature prominently as do freshly caught fish such as salmon, brown trout, white crab, lobsters and cockles.
Bacon, along with the two Welsh staple vegetables leeks and cabbage, goes to make the traditional Welsh dish cawl, a broth or soup. This classic one-pot meal, originally cooked in an iron pot over an open fire, used all local ingredients: home-cured bacon, scraps of Welsh lamb, cabbage, swede, potatoes and leeks. Recipes for cawl vary from region to region and from season to season, depending on what vegetables and produce are available. While cawl can be eaten all together, in some regions the broth is served first followed by the meat and vegetables.
Traditional Local Restaurants
The local restaurants and food joints are some of the best places when it comes to enjoying the traditional dishes of any city. Cardiff features some of the best local restaurants that sell the best savories. If you love exploring the traditional flavor of any city, then make sure that you are checking out the local restaurants in the city. From delicious seven-course meal to munch-on snacks, you will get everything. Besides, you will get food from other cuisines too.
- Elgano Italian Restaurant - Along with a cozy and super friendly atmosphere, the food that you will get here is no doubt delicious. Besides, if you want to try out unique dishes at an affordable rate, then Elgano Italian is no doubt the best place. Among all the dishes, make sure that you are trying out the Italian dishes here. Overall, it is a perfect place to hang out with your friends.
- The Clink Cymru - Yet another one of the most popular restaurants that you must try if you are visiting Cardiff. The specialty of the restaurant is prison inmates run it and the dishes prepared here are made with organic ingredients. From delicious sandwiches to yummy treats, you will get everything here.
Vegetarian and Vegan
If you are worried about whether you will get vegan dishes or not, then you can relax. Locals in Cardiff take an equal interest in vegan dishes too. The best part about vegan restaurants is you will get many options. From piping hot soups to veg burgers and sandwiches, you will get everything. Besides, you will be able to taste some delicious juices that are the best side option to accompany the main dishes. Here are some of the most popular vegan restaurants that you will get in the city.
- Mugs and Momos - The flavorful food, as well as the cozy ambiance, is something that makes Mugs and Momos popular among the locals as well as the travel enthusiasts. The staffs are no doubt helpful, especially if you face issues with choosing some of the exclusive dishes of the restaurant.
- Anna Loka - From the exclusive list of smoothies and pancakes, you will get multiple options, be it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Among all the other dishes, one of the most popular that you must try is the kebabs and the rodeo burger.
It is impossible to leave any place without exploring the street food culture of the city. The reason behind this is street food features the lip-smacking taste of the cuisine, which the country or city boasts. Hence, if you are planning to visit Cardiff, then make sure that you are checking out some of the most popular street foods in the city. Let us check out some of the most popular street foods that you will get in Cardiff.
- Sticky Beef Roti - In case you love enjoying the mouth-watering taste of Thai dishes, then nothing can be better than tasting the sticky beef roti. For generations, the demand for the sticky beef roti has been one of the most favorite street foods of the locals in the city. Served with green curry, noodles, and fish ball, this toothsome dish tops the list of street foods.
- Potsh Cig Dafad - This outstandingly delicious Moreish dish is yet another one of the most popular street food that you must try. Served with Salt Marsh Lamb and Pembroke potato, Potsh Cig Dafad is undoubtedly one of the best and most-loved street foods among the locals. Make sure to try it if you are in Cardiff.
- Souvlaki - This dish is inspired by the kouzina from the Cyprus villages; you will get this delicious souvlaki piping hot from the skewer. Along with it, you will get a generous amount of humus, which makes the dish even popular.
Coming to the drinks, you will get multiple options as well. From fruit juices, to beer, wine, and cocktails, the list is endless. The urge to drink water every time you go out is pretty much inevitable and you will not be disappointed by the variety of options available. Even if you are not interested in trying out the local drinks, then you can opt for the liquor shops and breweries that serve all brands that you can possibly think of.
Tap water is yet another one of the options when it comes to drinks. All pubic water sources are properly tested in Wales, which showed that tap water is safe to consume. On top of that, no additional treatments are required to maintain their quality. Thus, whenever you are traveling to Cardiff, you can be sure of the fact that you can consume tap water. Since tourism is quite high in the city, the government has come up with extra care procedures to make sure that everyone can consume tap water in case of emergencies. Alternatively. If you are not interested in consuming tap water, you will come across many stores selling packed drinking water. To be on the safe side, you can always choose them. Package water is quite cheap and is easily available. Even though the pollution levels in not high in the city, the locals still install water purifiers in their house. Also, water purifiers are one-time investment options.
You must be knowing that the trend of the organic cafeteria is quite high since they are sustainable and are quite affordable. The food served in the organic cafeterias is made out of organic ingredients thus making it safe to consume. When it comes to the overall ambiance of the cafeterias, these cafeterias have an eye-soothing ambiance. Thus, making it one of the best places to unwind and relax with your friends. Let us check out some of the most popular organic cafeterias in Cardiff.
- Organicafe - If you want to taste some of the best coffee and sandwiches or enjoy a full breakfast, then it is best to visit Organicafe. The Italian vibe as well as the surrounding of the place is something that will uplift your mood. Besides, you will also love the friendly staff who will help you choose from the wide range of menus available.
- Servini’s - From pancakes, delicious and juicy sandwiches to smoothies and coffee, you will get everything here. Although it is a cafeteria you can enjoy lunch too since the lengthy menu will easily cover your need for lunch. The special dish that you will get here is bacon pancakes and it is a must-try dish.
- The Plan - The pleasant atmosphere along with the stunning decoration of the place is something that makes The Plan one of the best cafeterias in the city. The food you will get here is undoubtedly delicious. If you are visiting Cardiff, make sure that you are visiting The Plan to enjoy some of the best foods in the city.
Besides some of the best restaurants, you will also get some of the best-rated breweries where you can enjoy the best quality beer, exotic drinks, as well as cocktails. As already mentioned, the locals in the city love to enjoy beers and other alcoholic drinks. You will be spoiled by the choices available in terms of the breweries, bars, and pubs in the city. Since the weather in the country remains extreme throughout the year, locals love to enjoy delicious drinks. Let us check us some of the popular breweries in the city.
- Pipes Brewery - From crafted beer to selected wine and other alcoholic drinks, you will get everything here. Besides, the ambiance of the place will let you groove throughout the night with music. Apart from the drinks, you will also get some delicious appetizers that go perfectly with the drinks.
- Crafty Devil Brewing - It is one of the most popular breweries throughout the city amongst the locals as well as the travel enthusiasts. Once you taste the craft beer, you will understand how much passion they put in their beer. If you are visiting Cardiff, make sure that you are visiting Crafty Devil Brewing.
- Bullmastiff Brewery - Yet another one of the most popular breweries that you will come across in the city. From delicious craft beer to cocktails, you will get everything here. Also, the range of appetizers that you will get here is mouthwatering.
When it comes to activities, you will get uncountable options that will make your holiday in the city memorable. You cannot disagree that without exploring exciting tourist spots, shopping areas, and most importantly adrenaline rush, it is impossible to make vacations memorable. Thus, before you are coming to Cardiff, make sure that you are researching some of the popular activities that you must try in the city. Here are some of the activities that you must try in the city.
- Explore the Cardiff Castle - Build around the year 50AD; this castle is one of the oldest tourist attractions in the city. If you are a history geek, then attractions like these will no doubt make you excited. It was reconstructed in the 1800s; the Cardiff Castle has now become immaculate in the city. It is one of the centers of attractions of the city and tourists from around the world come here to indulge in its history and cherish its beauty.
- Visit the Cardiff National Museum - Visiting the Cardiff National Museum is one of the best activities that you must-do if you are planning for a vacation in Cardiff. Located right next to Cathays Park, this well-known Cardiff National Museum is the home to a huge collection of contemporary art, natural history, especially the Evolution of Wales Galleries. The best thing about Cardiff National Museum is, you will find wooly mammoths as well as dinosaur skeletons that not only excites the kids but the adults too.
- Spend a day at the Millennium Centre - Millennium Centre is one of the newest landmarks in the city. However, you will find endless activities to do inside at the Millennium Centre. If you are interested in exploring the creative side of the city, then nothing can be better than visiting the Millennium Centre in the city. Here you will get to explore some unique and outstanding things that will no doubt mesmerize you.
- Explore the Taff Trail- Beginning from the Roald Dahl Plass in Cardiff Bay; Taff Trail is no doubt one of the mesmerizing trails that leads the way from the city into the Brecon Beacons National Park. Although you will not be able to complete exploring the trail in one day. You can come here with a bicycle to cherish the beauty of the trail.
- Enjoy a rugby match - Located in the heart of the city; Principality Stadium is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city. It can hold almost seventy thousand people. Here, many rugby matches are hosted and you can take part in enjoying a few matches and cheers for the players. If you want to enjoy some munchies, then you can visit the Chip Shop Alley.
Yoga and Retreats
Yoga and retreats are some of the best things that you will ever come across in the city. Foreigners are always concerned about their health. Hence, make sure to find out some of the best-rated yoga and retreats in the city. The yoga and retreats that you will find in the city offer some exclusive yoga therapy that is quite beneficial for your health. Let us check out some of the yoga and retreats that you will find in the city.
- Mandayoga - It is one of the most popular yoga studios in the city where you can practice yoga figures. Make sure that you are enrolling yourself here for a couple of sessions. Besides, the staff here are quite friendly and they will assist you in every way. Even if you need any extra care for your health issues, then they will help you with it. The ambiance of the yoga studio is no doubt soothing.
- Rayoga Power Yoga - Yet another one of the most popular yoga and retreat center that you will find here. Locals come here to get away from stress and relax. If you want, you can take a couple of sessions here. The atmosphere of the place is no doubt relaxing. The experts here will assist you so that you can get away from stress.
When it comes to accommodation, you will get many options. After all, without comfortable accommodation, you cannot enjoy a memorable vacation. From luxurious resorts to affordable staycation options, you will get everything. Hotels, resorts, hostels, and guesthouses, you will get everything here. Alternatively, if you want to stay away from the city, then you can opt for staying in the countryside. However, the only problem is you have to stay with the locals in the countryside. The only thing that you have to keep in mind is the rates will vary depending on the time you are visiting. For example, if you are visiting during peak time, then the rates will be high and vice versa. No matter what you are choosing, you will always end up having a comfortable stay. Make sure to know in detail about some of the best-rated accommodations available in the city.
Although you will not get many green hotels in the city; however, that does not mean that you will not get options. You might beware of the fact that the trend of green hotels is increasing every day since people are becoming quite concerned about the environment. Due to this reason, the demand for green hotels is gradually increasing. The reason behind this is green hotels are sustainable options in terms of everything. For example, green hotels use solar energy for generating electricity. Overall, green hotels are properly maintained in terms of everything.
- Jurys Inn Cardiff - If you do not want to invest a lot in the resorts or five-star hotels, it is best if you book your stay in Jurys Inn Cardiff. Here you will get free breakfast, parking, WiFi, and other essential amenities for enjoying a comfortable stay.
- Ibis Cardiff - Yet another one of the most popular green hotels that you will find in the city. The rooms are quite hygienic and are available at an affordable rate. The best thing about the green hotels is the bed linens as well as the towels that you will get here are biodegradable and are for one-time usage. Once used, it is disposed of, thus, you can understand that unlike other hotels, green hotels are different.
Hostels and Guest Houses
If you are not ready to spend huge on hotels or resorts, then booking hostels or guesthouses is always a good idea. Hostels are equally comfortable to stay and the amenities that you will get are almost similar to hotels. From free parking to WiFi, you will get everything in the hostels. Besides, if you want to meet fellow travelers for a company, then nothing can be better than booking hostels and guesthouses. Here are some of the popular hostels and guesthouses that you will find in the city.
- The Riverhouse - A small, award-winning hostel in the city, Riverhouse is one of the affordable hostels that you will get. Set in a perfect location, the superb staff as well as the fantastic cleanliness is something that will no doubt make your stay quite enjoyable. Besides, you will get the option of free breakfast with a different menu every day.
- Nomad - As the name suggests, this hostel is for those who are nomads and love traveling. Yet another popular hostel that you will find in the city to enjoy a comfortable stay with your friends. From free breakfast to free WiFi, you will get everything here. Make sure that you are making the bookings in advance.
- YHA Cardiff Central Hostel - Hostels are equally comfortable to stay in; however, the only thing that you have to keep in mind is to check the reviews. YHA Cardiff Central is yet another one of the most popular hostels in the city space where you can enjoy some of the best times of your holiday.
Apartments are yet another option when it comes to enjoying a memorable vacation. Besides, if you are traveling with your friends, then booking one room will do the job. The reason behind this is apartments are huge compared to hotels or guesthouses. You will get plenty of options when it comes to booking apartments. Although you might not get all the basic amenities like the hotels, your stay will no doubt be comfortable for sure. Make sure that you are booking the apartments beforehand so that you do not have to face issues on the day. Airbnb, for example, is no doubt one of the best places when it comes to booking apartments. If you are interested in staying with locals, then you can ask for it too. The Welsh locals are quite warm-hearted and always allow tourists to stay with them. As already mentioned, tourism is given huge importance here, you can understand that the locals would willingly let you stay with them. You will be able to know about their culture and traditions. However, one thing that you have to keep in mind is you have to show your valid documents; otherwise, they won’t allow you to stay with them.
The option for Couchsurfing is quite rampant these days and the reason behind it helps you to explore any place in a better way. If you are planning to travel to Cardiff solo, then nothing can be better than opting for Couchsurfing. Besides, if you want to avoid the hassle of investing in hotels and guesthouses, then you must join these communities as they help you to avoid huge costs for staying in hotels. They make sure to enlist spaces if the surfers request. All you have to do is send a request to the communities and once they accept it, you can stay with them in Cardiff. After all, it is tough to stay away from your house for ten to fifteen days. If you join the community, you will be able to meet thousands of fellow travelers. Make sure to check the reviews of the travel communities before sending a request.
Camping is yet another one of the options when it comes to vacationing. If you want to plan for something different, then make sure that you are including camping in your list. Cardiff is filled with scenic beauty and this is something that attracts thousands of people from around the world. The greenery, ports, and enthralling views are something that will no doubt uplift your mood for sure. Besides, make sure that you are planning for camping with your friends. Camping is undoubtedly one of the best things that you can do while you are on vacation.
The reason behind this is you will get endless peace as well as thrill, which is important for vacationing. If you love adventure, then you will undoubtedly feel thrilled about camping. Besides, how would you feel waking up to nature, soothing breeze, and picturesque beauty? On top of that, Cardiff is filled with mesmerizing trails, where you can go for walk pr go for bicycle rides. Let us check out some of the camping grounds in the city.
- Cardiff Caravan and Camping Park - Located in the city center, Cardiff Caravan is undoubtedly one of the best places when it comes to camping. Surrounded by greenery and the ethereal beauty of nature, you can spend a good time here with your friends or family.
- Pontcanna Fields - A fabulous parkland in the heart of the city, Pontcanna Field is undoubtedly one of the best places for camping. You can wander around and rewind amidst the heart of nature, which is necessary if you are going on a vacation.
How to Get There
As the 11th largest city in the UK, Cardiff has a lot to offer to travel enthusiasts. From spectacular attractions to shopping escapes along with outstanding entertainment options, you will get various things to do in the city. Besides, if you are interested in knowing the history as well as various traditions of the city, then Cardiff will never disappoint you. As an ideal holiday destination, you can reach Cardiff from London within a few hours by train. If you are traveling from other countries, then opting for the flight route is the best option. Alternatively, you can opt for the train route.
Ideally, there are seven different ways of reaching Cardiff. Various flights are there that travel to Cardiff and the nearest airport is Heathrow Airport or Cardiff Airport. Once you reach, you have to take a bus from there to reach the hotel. Similarly, you fly directly to London, Birmingham, or even Southampton. From there, you can continue your journey to Cardiff by public buses or cabs.
You must know that the rod between Cardiff Airport and the city center is almost nineteen kilometers. It takes about one hour to reach by bus. Thus, if you want to opt for the bus route then the T9 service is the direct link between Cardiff Airport and the main city. Buses are available every seven to ten minutes. Thus, making it easy for the tourists as well as the locals to travel from one city to another.
The train route is equally active in the city. However, there are no direct trains from any city and you have to opt for halts. Make sure that you are checking about the trains available while booking tickets. Trains do no remain overcrowded; however, make sure to avoid office hours. The intercity train route is quite active since people mostly opt for the train route.
The concept of hitchhiking is quite popular in the city. If you are visiting Cardiff for the first time and you are not sure about the bus or the train rates, then hitchhiking is undoubtedly one of the best options. All you have to do is find out the spots where the bikes or the four-wheelers stop to pick up the passengers. Make sure that you are careful about your luggage; otherwise, it might cause a problem for you. Although hitchhiking is common throughout the city; however, you have to find out the right spot so that it becomes easy for you to get a ride.
Apart from buses or trains, there are various other modes of transportation. From e-cabs to e-cabs, you will get everything. However, the only thing that you have to keep in mind is these options are only a good option if you are traveling from any adjacent city. If you are opting for responsible traveling, then choosing conventional transport options is always the best idea.
As Cardiff is a compact city, the shopping areas are walkable. Besides, various traffic-free walkways are there that include the Taff Trail. If you want to explore the city by other means, then there are various other excellent transport options such as bicycles, cars, or boat rides as well.
Walking is undoubtedly one of the best options when it comes to exploring the city. If you want to enjoy the picturesque beauty of the surroundings, then it is always a good idea to choose walking. Although things might get tiresome for you. Hence, whenever you are going shopping or tourist attractions exploring, make sure that you are choosing any public transports like buses or cabs.
You will come across many stores that give bicycles on rent. You can get these for a few days and go out exploring. If you feel like exploring any place, then opting for a bicycle is the best option. Besides, it is also a sustainable option.
Electronic vehicles are also one of the best options if you want to do responsible-traveling. Many e-vehicles are there throughout the city.
Public buses are also a great option if you are planning to explore the city. Both diesel-driven buses, as well as e-buses, are available in Cardiff. The government took various initiatives to come up with electric buses just to lower the pollution levels. Besides, public buses are quite affordable, especially if you want to save money for shopping.
Tram, Train and Subway
The train route in the city is quite active in the coy and this is something that makes Cardiff one of the busiest cities in the UK. Besides, due to the active train route, both locals, as well as tourists, can easily travel from one city to another. Trains do not remain crowded throughout the day. However, make sure to check out the train timings.
The trend of sustainable shopping is quite high in the city and this is something that makes Cardiff one of the most popular vacationing destinations. Locals are quite concerned about the environment and always opt for sustainable shopping. You will come across multiple shopping stalls selling clothes, accessories, décor items, and foods made with organic materials. From handmade DIY items to clothes made from organic fabric, you will get everything.
The food markets that you will get in Cardiff are quite versatile as well. From small food stalls to vendors selling raw materials for cooking, you will get everything. You can buy some of these either for yourself or as souvenirs. Some of the popular food markets in the city are Roath Farmers Market, Cardiff market, etc.
No matter how much you love branded clothes and shopping malls, you will always love the flea markets and the items that you can get from there. From shopping items to home décor items, you will various things in the flea markets. Besides, the prices of these items are quite reasonable, which is no doubt an exciting part.
Second Hand Stores
You must be aware of the fact that the trend of thrift stores is quite popular since you can get many unique vintage items here. Besides, the items available here are quite versatile and you will no doubt love the collection of items here. Some of the most popular second-hand stores that you will get in Cardiff are Oxfam Boutique, Tenovus Cancer Care, and Scope.
People here always look for various options when it comes to eco-fashion since they are concerned about saving the environment. You will get some outstanding items from the eco-fashion store like clothing, accessories, etc.
As a responsible traveler make sure that, you are recycling items whenever you are in Cardiff. No matter what you are using like packets, plastic bottles, you must recycle it so that it does not harm the environment. The government here has come up with various recycling programs for preserving environmental conditions.
Waste generation depends on pollution and the rate is not too high or low in Cardiff. Also, as tourism is quite high in the city, it affects the waste generation exceptionally.
Work and Study Abroad
Many reputed companies as well as universities and colleges are there in the city. Candidates, as well as students from around the world, come here to enroll themselves. Besides, the employment opportunities are quite high in the UK, thus you can understand how useful it is for the eligible candidates.
Since Cardiff is the home to some of the reputed colleges and universities. Besides, these colleges also offer exclusive scholarship programs to those students who are interested in continuing with their further studies. The faculty is quite good in the universities and pay equal attention to every candidate.
The Au pair service is quite active in the city since the women believe in being independent. Due to this reason, they have to stay for hours for working. The Au pair service offers service to those women who have small kids. They look after the kids and help with essential household work.
Since the city features some mind-blowing architectures as well as tourist attractions, it is compulsory to look after those since they represent the culture as well as the heritage of Cardiff. Many NGOs as well as non-profit organizations have come up to take the responsibility of preserving them.