Eco-friendly travel guide to Netherlands advises how to be a responsible tourist. Learn how to travel in a sustainable way and how to respect the local people and culture. Make your trip green by supporting locally owned hotels, organic restaurants and other businesses. Read more on how to protect the environment by making conscientious choices and how to travel green in Netherlands, Europe.
- Air quality: 4 / 5
- Bus connections: 4 / 5
- Train connections: 4 / 5
- Hitchhiking: 4 / 5
- National parks: 3.5/ 5
- Outdoor activities: 4 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Safety: 3.5/ 5
- Accommodation: US$70 - $350
- Budget per day: US$100 - $400
- 1 Responsible Travel
- 2 Air Quality and Pollution
- 3 Respect the Culture
- 4 Top 10 Places to Visit
- 5 Explore
- 6 Eat
- 7 Drink
- 8 Activities
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 Regions
- 11 Cities
- 12 Getting There and Moving Around
- 13 Sustainable Shopping
- 14 Recycling
- 15 Work and Study Abroad
- 16 See Also
The land of windmills, tulips, and canals is the first thing that comes to people's minds when they hear the Netherlands' word. Welcome to the city of jarring red light and Bokeh embellished spectacle nightlife-The Netherlands. The Netherlands is a beautiful small country sandwiched between Belgium and Germany in Western Europe. The Netherlands is primarily located in northwestern Europe and partly in the Caribbean. The beautiful country of the Netherlands has a breathtaking beauty packed with the charm of heavenly gardens, towns set up in the picturesque landscapes. The most popular way of alluring the exceptional beauty of the Netherlands is by cycling. In the country of the Netherlands, one can admire the stunning tulip fields bursting with a glowing color, which is guaranteed to send chills down their body. The Netherlands is known for its world's best cheese. The Netherlands is worth seeing with the vibrant capital city of Amsterdam filled with museums that tell the glory of this wonderful country and its rich heritage. With the 13,800 acres of national park and a tide control system, it's been counted as one of the seven wonders of the modern world. Nine destinations in the Netherlands are by far recognized for appreciable efforts in sustainable and responsible tourism. These are Ameland, Noordwijk, Katwijk, Hoek van Holland, Westvoorne, Goeree-Overflakkee, Schouwen-Duiveland Nijmegen, and Berg en Dal. Being a tourist in today's world comes with its own set of responsibilities and obligations. The change climate of the planet urges us to be more responsible and take accountability for our actions and also study the impact we have on the environment. One must travel in an eco friendly way and ensure that the local citizens or the natural surroundings are not affected. These are some of the most crucial tips that vacationers must follow to travel responsibly.
- Choosing the right transport method: A major part of your travel experience includes discovering every nook and cranny of the city. While you will have transport options like private cars and taxis at your disposal you need to know that not only do they contribute to more congestion and traffic pollution but also emit harmful gases into the environment. So, choose options like walking, cycling, electronic and public transportation in general.
- Trying local food: A huge part of the local culture is the traditional food that is offered at the local traditional restaurants and by street food vendors. Instead of just sticking to international fast food franchises that contribute to so much waste being produced in the world, you should try the local options. Not only will it help the local economy but also will directly help the families whose sole source of earning are these small food businesses.
- Do not throw waste: As an eco-friendly traveler, you need to promote sustainable living as much as possible in the city to motivate not only fellow tourists but local people. When you visit any tourists attractions especially city parks, make sure you do not throw any food wrapper and do not just stop at that but if you see any trash, pick it up and throw it in the dustbin. It might look like a very small thing to do but has a huge impact on people watching especially the children present in the park since they learn and mimic the behaviour of other people around them.
- Choose a green hotel: Plenty of accommodations are available in the city that provide you with a top-notch experience but instead of choosing them, you can pick green hotels for your stay. They use eco-friendly measures to reduce the pollution and waste of the city. This is one of the great ways to contribute towards the city to keep it safe and clean.
- Shop local: In order to support local craftsmen and artisans always shop local. During your trip to the city, you will come across small shops and food stalls in almost every lane of the city. If you want to have an unforgettable experience in the city, then buy goods and handicrafts from these shops. This will not only help you to save a lot of money but you will be supporting a lot of local people who are dependent on their small businesses to earn a livelihood.
Air Quality and Pollution
Air pollution in the Netherlands is from low to moderate, with a pollution index of 26.11. According to the world's health organization guidelines, the air quality in the Netherlands is considered to be moderately unsafe. In accordance with the most recent data talem in Sept 2020, the annual mean concentration of the Netherlands on PM2.5 is 12μg/m3, thus exceeding the recommended maximum of 10μg/m3. Velson, Sint, Maartensbrug, Wijk Aan Zee, and Westzaan have higher air pollution levels compared to the other cities in the Netherlands. Older travelers with pre existing conditions should get a physical exam that includes a stresan lung capacity test prior to departure. Tourists with asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases should carry an inhaler. If people are planning to visit this beautiful country of the Netherlands, they should go there with some necessary measures, and proper precautions should be carried out to avoid any health issues.
Respect the Culture
Cultural respect is the term used for understanding the values and beliefs of a population on the border to respond to and meet the expectations of diverse parties. Cultural respect is all about shared respect. One should properly recognize, protect and also continue to advance the rights, cultures, and traditions of the Netherlands. Tourists should respect the culture of the Netherlands by appreciating the differences as everyone is a part of a multicultural world that is full of exciting and surprising differences. People should learn about the fascinating culture of the rich heritage in the Netherlands and should embrace it. One way of doing so is to read the books published by the authors of this country, which is guaranteed to expand people’s cultural understanding. The culture of the Netherlands is diverse, which reflects the dutch culture, some of the most captivating artwork by the world's renowned dutch paintings and craft. The government of the Netherlands is heavily involved in subsidizing the arts.
Top 10 Places to Visit
The country of Netherlands has so many beautiful and exciting places to visit where tourists can pay a visit, names of some of the places where one should definitely pay a visit are mentioned below.
- Gouda - Gouda is one of the most famous and also one of the most beautiful cities in the country of Netherlands where so many old buildings and houses can be seen. Tourists should definitely visit this city as it is a really good place for spending a whole day as it has so many places for exploration. This city is really nicely connected to other regions and cities as it has a well-developed rail and road transportation.
- Rotterdam - Rotterdam is the most modern city in the country Netherlands. In recent times, this city underwent so much development. It is now one of the most developed cities in the country Netherlands. This city is a perfect place for the people who love to ride bikes so that many people can be seen riding bikes, and they enjoy it a lot. During the summer season, so many carnivals and festivals attract the attention of so many people from other countries.
- Groningen - This city of the Netherlands is extremely famous for its quality education. It has so many good universities. This city is mostly occupied by the students studying in these universities. This city is extremely good for museum lovers. It has so many good museums, and every museum has its own significance. Groningen museum present in this city is the most modern museum in the whole country. This city has some really good street cafes where people can relax themselves out.
- Haarlem - This city of the Netherlands is the place where tulip bulb growing takes place, and because of this, it is also known as the flower city of the Netherlands. This city is a really good place for shopping, and most of the tourists can be seen purchasing commodities in the city of Haarlem. This city has some stunning architecture and some really good museums where people can visit and experience the beauty of this city.
- Utrecht - This city of the Netherlands has so many good universities. Hence, it is the first choice place for the students, and they get all the necessary facilities in the college they are studying. This city has a Gothic cathedral of Saint Martin, which was constructed 200 years ago, but still, this cathedral is in excellent shape as its maintenance is perfect. This city has some really good museums where people can gain information regarding the past of this country.
- Maastricht - This city is one of the favorite cities to visit in the country of the Netherlands as it has so many beautiful and fascinating cathedrals, which enhances the beauty of this city. This city has some really good cafes where local people and the tourists visit to reduce the stress. The annual festivals taking place in this city attract so many people towards this city. Every year, millions of people visit this city to experience the beauty of the city.
- The Hague - This city in the Netherlands is considered to be one of the most extraordinary places to visit as it has so many activities to do. This city is also known as Royal City, as so many royal families are residing in the city of The Hague. The Northern sea present in this city is a really good place to relax, and so many people can be seen on the shores during the summers to relax themselves out.
- Delft - This town is perfect for a one-day outing as it has some really good places to visit and so many other activities to do for the people. The antiquated appearance of this city has its own significance amongst the people, and they are working diligently to restore the antiquated appearance of this city. The Prinsenhof is one of the most popular sites to visit in this country where people can see the bullet holes which were created so many years ago.
- Leiden - The city of Leiden is a really good place for nature photography as this city is extremely picturesque. The scenic and beautiful views of this city will fascinate visitors and get some really good clicks of nature in this city. This city has numerous museums ranging from historical to science, these museums are really informative, and people should definitely visit these museums. Reaching this city is extremely easy; one can reach here through public transportation.
- Amsterdam - Amsterdam is one of the most popular tourist spots among the whole European countries as this city has so many exciting activities to do. This city has a party atmosphere, and the local people of this city love to do parties on every special occasion. This city is the capital city of the Netherlands and has some historic buildings, beautiful canal rings and some really good museums where people can gain so much information.
Exploration is one of the most important factors during the trip, and one should pay extra attention to exploration so that they can enhance the experience of the trip. The country of Netherlands has so many places to explore, and people cannot visit every place in one trip though they can cover all the main tourist spots which they should definitely visit in this country. Tourists should try to explore as much as they can during their trip to the Netherlands, they can take help from any of the local residents, or they can also hire a guide who will guide them from one place to another. Tourists can visit some beautiful landmarks present in this country, which shows this country's heritage and glory. The country of Netherlands is a perfect place for adventure lovers as here people can do so many adventurous activities, and adventurous people will definitely love this country.
A city park is a place where people can visit daily for walking, jogging, and cycling, the pleasant and peaceful environment of these city parks help people reduce their stress. Names of some of the city parks present in the Netherlands are mentioned below.
- City Park - This park is one of the most popular city parks in the country of the Netherlands, and it is present in Maastricht city of this country. The fountains present in this city park are extremely fascinating, this place is also perfect for nature photography. The presence of the playground attracts kids towards this park, so this is a good place for a family outing.
- Prinses Beatrixpark - This is another very beautiful city park present in Amsterdam, Netherlands, where visitors always fill this city park. This city park has a massive surface area, and it contains a playground where children can play and enjoy in this park.
- City park Valkenberg - This fascinating city park is maintained very nicely and is in excellent shape; this city park is present in the city of Breda, Netherlands. The fountains present in this city park will fascinate visitors, and people should definitely visit here.
The national park is the place where one gets to know about various new species of both flora and fauna. The country of the Netherlands has some magnificent national parks; the names of some of them are mentioned below.
- Hoge Veluwe National Park - Hoge Veluwe national park of this country is spread over more than 5800 hectares of land and has a very large surface area. This National park has so many wide varieties of both animals and plants, and both of them are looked after very nicely in this national park.
- De Alde Feanen National Park - This National park of the Netherlands is a heaven for nature lovers. This National park has a very large surface and is spread over more than 4000 hectares of land. This national park has more than 500 species of plants, so people who want to see these species can visit this national park.
- Lauwersmeer National Park - This national park is also spread in a very large surface area and is heaven for the people who love nature. Here people can walk or take a cycle to explore this beautiful national park. This national park is also a really good place for the people who love bird watching.
Beach is the first choice place to visit during both summer and the winter season, and here people can relax and spend quality time with families. The country of the Netherlands has some really good beaches, names of some of them are mentioned below.
- Scheveningen Beach - This beach present in the Netherlands is one of the most popular beaches, and every tourist pays a visit to this beach. This beach has some really good food stalls where people can satisfy their hunger at very affordable prices, and the food is also delicious.
- Zandvoort Beach - This beach is present 30 kilometers away from Amsterdam, and the visitors always occupy this beach as they love to spend time on this beach. This place is just so perfect for a family outing where people of every age group have so many interesting activities to do.
- Hoek van Holland Beach - This beach is a very picturesque place where people can click some really good pictures of themselves. People can play beach volleyball on this beach and the people who love to do outdoor activities. People can reach this place very easily by opting for any of the public transportation present in the country of the Netherlands.
Landmarks are one of those places which depicts the history and glory of the country; the country of the Netherlands has so many landmarks where people can visit and gain information, names of some of the most popular landmarks present in the country of the Netherlands are mentioned below.
- Castle De Haar - This castle of the Netherlands is one of the fascinating landmarks of the country, and it is constructed very beautifully. This landmark was constructed in medieval style and has been named as the largest castle in the country of the Netherlands.
- Binnenhof - This place is a must-visit place for the people who are on a trip to the country of the Netherlands. This beautiful castle is present in the city of The haque, Netherlands and this castle was made so many years ago. People can reach this castle very easily by public transportation present in this country.
- Erasmusbrug - This landmark is also known by the name The Erasmus bridge, and it is of the most iconic landmarks present in the country of the Netherlands. This bridge was opened in 1996. It is an 800 meters long bridge and has a wide range of 278 meters and is maintained very nicely.
A museum is a place where people get to know about so many interesting facts about the past and the present of the country. The country of the Netherlands is home to so many museums, and every museum has its own significance and importance; names of some of the most popular museums present in this country are mentioned below.
- Van Gogh Museum - This museum is one of the most visited museums in the whole world, and in 2012, 1.48 million people were visiting this museum, which shows how popular this museum is.
- Rijksmuseum Amsterdam - This beautiful museum is present in the city of Amsterdam, Netherlands, where so many beautiful Dutch art pieces can be observed. This museum has more than 200 rooms, and all of them have art pieces from some of the famous artists of the country.
- Science center NEMO - People who are from the science field should definitely pay a visit to this museum as this museum has so much information regarding things related to science.
The Netherlands is the country where so many different varieties of foods can be consumed, and they taste extremely good. People who are paying a visit to this country should definitely try the cuisine of this country as the food tastes outstanding and can consume it in any local restaurants present in the country of Netherlands. The price of the cuisine of this country is very affordable, and people who have a low budget can also very easily consume the local food of this country. Bitterballen, this dish comes under one of the most favorite dishes of the local people of this country, these are deep-fried meatballs and is basically served with a mustard dip. If people want to eat any local deserts of this country, then they should definitely opt for Stroopwafel, which is served hot and is available in most of the bakeries.
Consuming drinks is an essential part of the local residents of this country; alcoholic drinks are the most consumed drinks in this country, and people consume them on a regular basis. Beer is the most consumed alcoholic drink in this country, and people consume it regularly with their meals. After a beer, wine is the second most consumed alcoholic drink in this country, and people mostly consume this drink during parties, marriages, and special occasions. People under 18 years of age are strictly not allowed to consume alcoholic drinks, and the government of this country can take strict against the people who are below 18 but still consuming alcohol. Local people of this country also consume nonalcoholic drinks like tea and coffee, and they prefer to start their day by consuming any of these two drinks as it keeps them awake the whole day and gives them the energy to do the work.
Tap water in the Netherlands is extremely safe to drink, so local people don't need to opt for measures to purify the water as it is free from harmful chemical compounds and microorganisms that can adversely affect the human body. Tap water in the Netherlands is much better than the packaged drinking water available in this country, which is an excellent thing about this country. The tap water of the Netherlands is in the second position in the whole of Europe when it comes to the quality of tap water. In the country of Netherlands, the water companies use very enhanced and really good technologies that purify the tap water without the usage of chlorine and fluoride. Intakes of chlorine and fluoride are very harmful to the human body, and it can cause various health issues, so it is advised not to consume such water. People can opt for water purifiers for convenience if they are not satisfied with the quality of tap water.
There are so many activities for the local people and also for the tourists which they can do in this country and spend some quality time. Jungle Safari is one such activity which people can do in this country, and this activity is mostly done by the people who love to do adventurous activities. There are some really good water parks present in the country of Netherlands where people can go enjoy the water rides, and people like to visit water parks mostly during the summer season. People can go on bike rides in this country as the roads of this country are very nicely maintained, and riding a bike on these roads enhances the driving experience. People can visit the city parks present in the nearby locality for walking and jogging. The atmosphere of these city parks is extremely peaceful and helps the visitors reduce their stress and relax.
Accommodation is the most important factor for the people as everyone needs a shelter to live. There are so many modes of accommodation present in the Netherlands where people can live. Accommodation is also very important for the tourists who are planning a trip to the Netherlands. This is the first thing they will search for so that they can have a good place to live with all the necessary facilities they require in an accommodation. People can choose any mode of accommodation as per their needs, requirements, and budgets, they can contact various agencies present in this country which provide accommodation to the people. Hotels are the tourists' most favorite accommodation as they are quite affordable and the services provided by the hotel staff is also really good. Apartments in another mode of accommodation which is mostly opted by the local people of this country.
The number of Green hotels is increasing rapidly in every country as they contribute so much towards the environment. In the country of Netherlands also there are some really good green hotels and their numbers are increasing very fast in this country. Many hotels in the Netherlands are switching their hotels to green hotels so that they can contribute towards the betterment of the Environment. The basic meaning of green hotels is, all the commodities being used in such kinds of hotels are eco-friendly and extremely safe for the environment. The vegetables, fruits, and all the commodities which are used in making food are made up of organic substances that are not only good for the environment but also extremely safe for the human body to consume. Names of some of the green hotels which are present in the country of Netherlands are mentioned below.
- Lodgerie green secret
- Green hotel B.V
- Inn the green
Hostels and Guest Houses
Hostels are the first choice accommodation for the students who are studying in the universities of this country. Here the students get all the necessary facilities which they require in their day to day lifestyle, and prices are also quite affordable. The staff decides the whole menu of the hostel, and students do not have the facility of changing the menu themselves. Hostels provide 3-4 meals in a day, which starts with breakfast in the morning and ends with dinner at the night. Names of some really good hostels present in the country of Netherlands are mentioned below.
- Hans Brinker hostel
- Hostel room Rotterdam
- Clinknoord hostel
Guesthouses are another really good accommodation mode, mostly opted for by tourists or the people visiting the Netherlands for an office trip. This mode of accommodation is really affordable and is extremely convenient to stay in, the staff members of guest houses are also very polite to interact. Names of some of the guesthouses present in the country of Netherlands are mentioned below.
- Winston B&B
- Pension Moerdijk
The apartment is a mode of accommodation which is mostly opted for by the local people of this country, mainly middle-class people who have low budgets. The prices of apartments present in the country of Netherlands are extremely affordable, and the facilities present in these apartments are quite similar to houses. There are so many agencies and companies present in the country of Netherlands which help people to get a room on rent in the apartments. The number of bedrooms can increase as per the family members present in the family, 2 people can live very easily in a 1BHK apartment, and the rate will also be very affordable. A family containing 3-4 people should opt for a 2BHK apartment as they will get one extra room where all of them can stay comfortably. There are some magnificent apartments present in the country of Netherlands, names of some of them are mentioned below.
- Dormio resort Maastricht apartments
- Golden Mansion apartments
Couch surfing is another term that also comes under the category of accommodation. In couch surfing, people who are visiting the Netherlands stay in their relative or friend's accommodation. Couch surfing is one of the best practices through which visitors can save a lot of money, and it is extremely budget-friendly. Local people of the Netherlands are kind enough to welcome their visitors in their accommodation and provide them with the best possible hospitality during their trip to the Netherlands. Visitors also don't need to roam into the restaurants present in this country for food as the local relatives will make them eat all the local and traditional food consumed in this country. Local residents will help their visitors by suggesting that they should definitely visit during their trip and help them plan their trip accordingly. It is really good if anyone has a local relative in this country as it is extremely beneficial for the visitor.
Camping is an adventurous activity that people like to practice in forests to make their trip adventurous and exciting. This adventurous activity should be practiced very carefully, and one needs to have a good experience while practicing this activity. Local people of this country are very fond of camping, and they love to practice it during their vacations and off days as it is full of excitement and joy. This activity should be practiced under a trained professional if anyone is practicing this activity for the first time during their life. There are many camping sites which are present in the country of the Netherlands where people can go and practice camping without any fear. These camping sites provide their visitors with a tent and some basic commodities which they will require during camping. Here people have to make their own food, so one has to know how to cook if they want to practice camping.
The Netherlands is a constitutional monarchy, administratively divided into 12 provinces (provincies). Even though the Netherlands is a small country, these provinces are quite diverse and have plenty of cultural and linguistic differences. They can be divided in four regions:
|Western Netherlands |
Commonly called the Randstad, this is the heart of the Netherlands with its four biggest cities as well as typical Dutch countryside.
|Northern Netherlands |
The least densely populated area, mostly unexplored by foreigners, but popular among the locals. The West Frisian Islands are excellent destinations for a few days out, as are the Frisian Lakes.
|Eastern Netherlands |
Home to the largest national park of the Netherlands, Hoge Veluwe National Park, as well as the beautiful Hanzesteden, seven mediaeval cities along the IJssel River with a traditional historic centre, such as Zutphen, Zwolle, Doesburg, among others.
|Southern Netherlands |
Divided from the rest by its Catholic history, carnival celebrations, beer culture and its "Burgundian way of life".
This article describes the European part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The Caribbean islands Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba are "special municipalities" fully integrated in the Netherlands proper. Beside the Netherlands proper, Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten are constituent countries within the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- Amsterdam — impressive architecture, lovely canals (grachten), museums and liberal attitudes.
- Eindhoven — major city in the province of North Brabant in the Netherlands.
- Rotterdam — modern architecture, good nightlife, vibrant art scene and the largest port of Europe.
- The Hague — the judicial capital of the world, the seat of government and the royal family.
- Utrecht — historic centre, antique stores and the Rietveld-Schröder House.
Getting There and Moving Around
Getting to the country of Netherlands is very easy, and one and very easily reach to this country through air transportation as this transportation is very rapid. There are so many direct flights available from every part of this world and tourists can reach this country very conveniently and also in less time duration. Moving around in the country of the Netherlands is very easy if one has all the knowledge regarding the public transportation of this country. People have the option of bus transportation if they have to cover a less distance, ticket prices of buses are very affordable and traveling in buses is very convenient. People can also travel through trains if they want to travel to another city in this country, these trains are very rapid and are very punctual. Taxi is another mode of transportation that people can opt for, but this mode of transportation is costly.
Air transportation is one of the most preferred modes of transportation by the people of this country, and people use this mode of transportation if they have to travel to another country. The country of the Netherlands has various international airports where flights from all over the globe land and take off. This mode of transportation is the most comfortable and convenient mode of transportation as it has so many basic necessities for the passengers. The country of the Netherlands also has so many domestic airports where various domestic flights are available for the passengers who want to travel within the Netherlands. Passengers can very easily book the tickets of their respective flights online, and they can choose the seat of their choice. Names of some of the international airports which are present in the country of Netherlands are mentioned below.
- Teuge airport
- Breda international airport
- Groningen airport Eelde
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
The country of the Netherlands has a very well connected road network which makes the bus transportation a really good option for the local people and also for the tourists visiting this country. There are so many bus agencies and companies present in this country that runs their buses across the regions of this country. The government of the Netherlands is also running buses for the convenience of the local people so that they don't find any difficulty in reaching their destinations. The ticket prices of buses in the Netherlands are quite affordable, these buses follow a stringent timetable, and they are always on time. People can make advance booking of their seats online for convenience. All the necessary details of the buses are available on the sites. There are so many bus stations present in the country of the Netherlands, names of some of them are mentioned below.
- Hoofddorp, Station
- Station Duivendrecht
- Putten, Station
Train transportation is another very developed mode of transportation present in the country of the Netherlands, and this country has a really well-connected railway network connecting most of the regions of this country. There are some agencies which are running trains in the country of the Netherlands and helping the people reach their respective destination on time. Trains of this country have different coaches like AC, chair car, sleeper coach, people can purchase tickets for any of these coaches as per their needs, requirements, and duration of travel. The price of the chair car is the cheapest, while the price of the AC coach is quite costly. People have the facilities of advance booking of the seats so that they do not face any problems in getting seats of their choice. This country has many railway stations, the names of some of the railway stations of this country are mentioned below.
- Amsterdam Centraal
- Amsterdam Holendrecht
- Amsterdam Lelylaan
Hitchhiking is one of the most common practices which is done in most of the countries, although the number of people opting for hitchhiking is decreasing day by day. Nowadays, people only opt for it when there is a medical emergency, and the local people of this country are humble enough to help people around if they are in any sort of problem. People who are giving a lift to another person should be very careful and should pick people very carefully as there is a high risk of getting robbed also. Hitchhiking is an excellent option in the country of the Netherlands as the roads of this country are in very good condition, and people don't face any difficulties while driving in the Netherlands. Tourists are mostly seen practicing hitchhiking as they are unaware of the routes of this country. On the way, they can take information about the various public transportation available in the Netherlands.
Other ways are also available in the country of the Netherlands through which people move around in this country. Taxi is one such mode of transportation available in the country of the Netherlands, which people can opt for if they are not aware of other transportation available in this country. There are so many taxi hiring companies and agencies which are present in this country, and they rent their taxis to the passengers at very affordable rates. Although hiring a taxi is very costly and is of the most costly mode of transportation available in this country. People also have the option of renting a bike in this country, renting a bike is cheaper than renting a taxi. People can contact the bike hiring agencies present in the Netherlands, and they can visit their website and see all the details and terms and conditions of hiring the bike.
In simple words, sustainable shopping is people’s chance to support what is important to them and also looking at them with the point of view that what they buy has health, social, and environmental impact. This approach starts with the raw materials used to create a product. It includes the manufacturing processes, packaging, and ultimate disposal of each item, including any transportation required through the item's lifecycle. Amsterdam is one of the best eco-conscious cities in the world, which was also nominated for the European Green Capital 2010 award. For the people who love natural, sustainable, and eco-friendly shopping, the Netherlands is the place, which will take care of their eco-conscious lifestyle.
People can enjoy their sustainable shopping in these eco-friendly stores -
- O My Bag, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- HempStory, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Geitenwollenwinkel, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Little Plant Pantry, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Simon Levelt, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Pieter Pot( previously Puur Bezorgd), Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Ekoplaza, Apeldoorn, Netherlands
- Holland & Barrett ( many branches in Leiden,Tilburg,Amersfoort, Den Haag etc)
- Ijhallen, Amsterdam, Netherlands
People might find that there are more rules and regulations surrounding recycling and waste management in the Netherlands than they are accustomed to in their home country. These laws are responsible because the Netherlands has the reputation of an extremely ‘ green’ country. This is mainly due to the fact that the dutch have the mentality to care deeply about protecting their environment. The Netherlands put an admirable amount of effort as well the resources into environmental protection. Thanks to its brilliant waste management system, the Netherlands nearly recycles 64% of its waste, and most of it is cremated into generating electricity. The Netherlands is a practically unique country in the principality of recycling. The Dutch citizens take individual responsibility for environmental well being. One of its own, the eco-teams have been formed in the Netherlands to promote waste management and recycling in order to protect the environment.
The amount of waste landfilled decreased from 35% in 1985 to 2.1% in 2016, and the rate of recovery rose from 50% to 93% in the country of the Netherlands. Currently, 77% of their waste is recycled, and also the residual waste is used for energy production. The Dutch approach avoids creating waste as much as possible, recovering the usable items, and generating energy by cremated remains. 'The order of reference' approach according to which, only waste streams for which no incineration is possible are allowed for the landfilling. In this way, the Government of the Netherlands ensures that there is no harm to the environment as the landfilling, in the long run, proves to contaminate soil and water and also to affect wildlife and human health as well. The five elements of the Netherlands waste management system are-
- Order of preference for waste management (waste hierarchy)
- Stringent waste treatment standards
- Planning on the national level
- Producer responsibility
- Use of various economic instruments to stimulate prevention and recycling
Work and Study Abroad
Getting a decent job in the country of the Netherlands is quite easier compared to other countries of the world. As the population of this country is not so high, so every resident of this country is getting equal opportunities to get a job. Job opportunities are increasing at a very rapid rate in this country, and because of this, the poverty rate is decreasing in the Netherlands. The local people of the Netherlands are very hardworking, and everyone is very dedicated to their jobs. Universities present in this country provide opportunities to many of their capable students to work and help them settle abroad. Many of the students of this country have successfully settled abroad and started earning wages much higher than those offered in this country. However, anyone who wants to settle abroad must be financially stable as it requires a lot of money to study and settle abroad.
The Universities of the Netherlands provide opportunities to students from other countries and help them study in this country. Education in this country is quite cheaper than in other countries so the students who are finding it difficult to study in their own country due to financial issues can study in this country very conveniently. The universities have all the necessary facilities for such students. They have hostels where students can live, have mess where they can consume food, and medical facilities are also available in emergency situations. The country of the Netherlands has some outstanding universities where students get a quality education; the names of some of the universities are mentioned below.
- University of Amsterdam
- Utrecht University
- Leiden University
Au pair agencies and companies present in the country of the Netherlands have provided employment to so many local people who were in definite need of money so as to make their living. Au pair agencies are contributing so much in decreasing the rates of poverty in this country. Wages of jobs provided by au pair agencies are comparatively low, but people can make their living very easily by doing these jobs. People could search for the websites of these agencies on the internet and get themselves enrolled so that they can inform the candidate if they got a job for him/her. Jobs like housekeeping, nannies or babysitters, cooking, etc., are available under au pair, and an illiterate can also get a job in these agencies.
Volunteering is quite a common practice which local people do in the country of the Netherlands, and people do volunteering so as to get a decent job in this country and make their living. This practice is mostly done by freshers who have just completed their respective courses and are now searching for a decent job. Students don't get paid for practicing it. Here they have to show their capabilities and talent and have to work extremely hard so that they can get their position fixed in that place. The companies of the Netherlands are inviting freshers for volunteering so that they can choose the best employees for their companies.